Bills would have “strongly considered” Mason Rudolph at 22

On 4/30/2018 at 3:08 PM, NewEraBills said:

Yep, this solidifies it for me.

Their top 3 were:

Darnold

Allen 

Rudolph

I doubt that was their overall top 3 ranking though on the board, maybe targets based on where they might get them, but I seriously doubt that Baker was not in their top 3.  They met with Baker a lot, in fact, I think Baker was their top target personally, more so than Darnold.  Just my opinion of course, but just going on what went down pre draft.

I suspect their Board likely went:  Baker, Darnold, Allen.  Could have even been Baker, Allen, Darnold as they seem to have been very high on Allen.  My bigger question is who they had at #4, 5, and 6 between Rudolph, Rosen, and Lamar.  

So I think with the Mason stuff, it was more about they would have strongly considered him at 22 if they didnt trade up and decided to go Edmunds at 12 then grab a QB at 22 where they would have expected Mason to still be on the board but maybe not the guys they had ranked ahead of him.  I don't think it means he was the 3rd ranked QB on their actual draft board because Allen was certainly ranked ahead of him since they drafted him, and I don't see how they could possibly have Mason ahead of either Darnold or Baker either.  

8 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

If Ben actually commits to 3-5 more years the Rudolph selection was worth it to eliminate his annual waffling on continuing to play.

....good point......3-5 more years is an eternity with him whining last year about possibly retiring.......so Colbert calls his bluff and picks Rudolph who I think certainly has some potential......sure Landry Jones was thought to be THE guy post Ben, but no comparison vs Rudolph IMO.....

10 hours ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

Any reason you'd take Fumbles over someone like Rosen?

I was only talking about the QB's that the Bills liked (Darnold, Allen, Rudolph). 

I would've definitely taken Rosen over Allen. 

14 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I suspect their Board likely went:  Baker, Darnold, Allen.  Could have even been Baker, Allen, Darnold as they seem to have been very high on Allen.  My bigger question is who they had at #4, 5, and 6 between Rudolph, Rosen, and Lamar.  

If my source is right and Baker and Rosen were off their board and Rudolph was 3rd... but with a gap in where they valued him as compared to Darnold and Allen and Lamar was not 4th..... then the interesting question is who did the Bills like 4th? Kyle Lauletta? Mike White? Luke Falk?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Being willing to take a guy 22nd overall who the rest of the NFL deemed a 3rd round pick is a major concern in my eyes. 

By that same logic, you'd have been appalled at a team selecting Dak Prescott in the 1st round too--and you'd have been wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

By that same logic, you'd have been appalled at a team selecting Dak Prescott in the 1st round too--and you'd have been wrong.

You're right. I would have. 

I told people the talk of picking Mason Rudolph in round 1 was insane, and that he was more comparable to former 4th round picks like Bryce Petty and Landry Jones. He's a mediocre talent with hardly any upside, so the talk of picking him in the first round is extremely bothersome. 

Just now, jrober38 said:

You're right. I would have. 

I told people the talk of picking Mason Rudolph in round 1 was insane, and that he was more comparable to former 4th round picks like Bryce Petty and Landry Jones. He's a mediocre talent with hardly any upside, so the talk of picking him in the first round is extremely bothersome. 

It's not bothersome to me...I personally wouldn't have picked Rudolph before round 3, but there are some of us that recognize that we aren't always right about QBs.

Comparing what the rest of the NFL thought to what NFL Network says that Buffalo's GM would have considered really doesn't mean much.  The rest of the NFL thought Dak Prescott was a 4th round pick and Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick.

Just now, thebandit27 said:

It's not bothersome to me...I personally wouldn't have picked Rudolph before round 3, but there are some of us that recognize that we aren't always right about QBs.

Comparing what the rest of the NFL thought to what NFL Network says that Buffalo's GM would have considered really doesn't mean much.  The rest of the NFL thought Dak Prescott was a 4th round pick and Russell Wilson was a 3rd round pick.

Right. And for every Russel Wilson and Dak Prescott there are ten 3rd/4th round QBs who are complete crap. 

Just because they picked a guy there doesn't make them "smart".

If Dallas knew what they were getting from Prescott, they'd have picked him a lot earlier than the end of the 4th round. Ditto for the Seahawks picking Wilson in round 3. 

10 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Being willing to take a guy 22nd overall who the rest of the NFL deemed a 3rd round pick is a major concern in my eyes. 

I'm going to go ahead and take the Steelers' scouting team's opinion over yours, no offense.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I'm going to go ahead and take the Steelers' scouting team's opinion over yours, no offense.

I have no issue with the Steelers having picked Rudolph in round 3. 

That's exactly where he should have been picked.

It's the talk on this board of us picking him 22nd, or in some extremely stupid cases 12th overall that was completely insane. 

8 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

I think Dak is very overrated, but still a lot better than Rudolph. I don't think he is a first round quarterback, but I would have taken him in the second or third. Rudolph is a 3-4 to me. I posted this a couple weeks ago: 

Popular thought is that Dak is really good. He really isn't. He is ok. He is totally reliant on having a good supporting cast and can't really make plays when he is the man. I think he does still have some upside because he has the physical ability. If he doesn't make a huge jump, the Cowboys will be drafting another in a couple of years. 

http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article192404149.html

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-cowboys/Bolt/Dak-Prescott-isnt-even-a-game-manager-110956037

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

Right. And for every Russel Wilson and Dak Prescott there are ten 3rd/4th round QBs who are complete crap. 

Just because they picked a guy there doesn't make them "smart".

If Dallas knew what they were getting from Prescott, they'd have picked him a lot earlier than the end of the 4th round. Ditto for the Seahawks picking Wilson in round 3. 

Yeah... that's the point

Despite how much you yell and tout your QB-related genius, you don't know how Rudolph will end up. If he ends up being a franchise guy, then the team that would've picked him at 22 looks smart.