Which Bill's draft pick? (and other draft related questions)

berg1029

Which pick did you like the most?

Which pick did you like the least?

Which draft picks will start this year?

Which late pick (post third round) has the best chance to start this year?

Which pick won't make the team?

Will Josh Allen start at any point this upcoming season?

Were you satisfied with the Bill's draft?

I don''t like the QB Josh Allen pick in the first round.

And my dislike for the QB Josh Allen pick in the first round is validated by the knee-jerk, insensitive, paranoid, pro Josh Allen posters on this board.    You're all unhinged and for good reason.

Edited by PearlHowardman

9 minutes ago, PearlHowardman said:

I don''t like the QB Josh Allen pick in the first round.

And my dislike for the QB Josh Allen pick in the first round is validated by the knee-jerk, insensitive, paranoid, pro Josh Allen posters on this board.    You're all unhinged and for good reason.

Haha, I think you have a bone to pick my man.  Take a deep breath and relax!

Which pick did you like the most?  Tremaine Edmunds

Which pick did you like the least?  Josh Allen, because I feel like it's too risky for a pick that high (really hoping he works out though!  so much potential)

Which draft picks will start this year?  Edmunds, Phillips

Which late pick (post third round) has the best chance to start this year?  Wyatt Teller

Which pick won't make the team?  Austin Proehl (rooting for him though!)

Will Josh Allen start at any point this upcoming season?  Yes, I believe at some point they will give him a chance

Were you satisfied with the Bill's draft?  Tentative yes, we gave up a lot of picks to move up for 7 and 16 (in what is considered to be a deep draft)

4 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Haha, I think you have a bone to pick my man.  Take a deep breath and relax!

Which pick did you like the most?  Tremaine Edmunds

Which pick did you like the least?  Josh Allen, because I feel like it's too risky for a pick that high (really hoping he works out though!  so much potential)

Which draft picks will start this year?  Edmunds, Phillips

Which late pick (post third round) has the best chance to start this year?  Wyatt Teller

Which pick won't make the team?  Austin Proehl (rooting for him though!)

Will Josh Allen start at any point this upcoming season?  Yes, I believe at some point they will give him a chance

Were you satisfied with the Bill's draft?  Tentative yes, we gave up a lot of picks to move up for 7 and 16 (in what is considered to be a deep draft)

Good post. And probably very accurate.

I was surprised by the Allen pick, but I don't hate it, and I like the way they got him. 

I wasn't happy about trading away more picks for Edmunds, but I love the player. I think he will be the only draftee that starts day one. That being said, I know most pundits listed LB as our second biggest concern after QB, but I disagree. I think O-line should have had a much higher priority in this draft, especially guard.

And, I don't think any of our late-round WRs will make the 53. Which is depressing, considering how thin we are at WR.

Edited by Rocky Landing

If anyone can point to a single "project" QB who became a franchise QB, you might begin to change my belief that this is one of the worst, if not the very worst, mistakes the Bills have ever made in a long history of making mistakes.

11 minutes ago, yungmack said:

If anyone can point to a single "project" QB who became a franchise QB, you might begin to change my belief that this is one of the worst, if not the very worst, mistakes the Bills have ever made in a long history of making mistakes.

Agree 100%

Also, don't be too surprised if AJ McCarron succeeds.  

15 minutes ago, yungmack said:

Tom Brady*?

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PearlHowardman said:

Bill Bilichick

We're all clutching at straws.  All of us.

Brady* is just the obvious choice of a project QB who became a franchise player. There are lots more. Russel Wilson, Kurt Warner, Jim Plunkett. Lots.

Edited by Rocky Landing

9 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Tom Brady*?

Nope. A project QB is one who seems to have elite tools but somehow can't properly use them when it's game time. The most common one is "he's a big guy with a HUGE arm." The most common flaw this project has, generally speaking, is with accuracy, so the experts begin tinkering with his footwork, his arm angle, gloves/no gloves and anything else they believe will rescue the GM from admission of abject failure.

Tom Brady always had the tools, they just weren't considered elite, certainly not worth a first round pick. But because he had the tools -- most critical of all, he was accurate -- taking him with a late round pick was justified. Good coaching and hard work were able to raise his success. So the biggest lesson from Brady is that the tools must already be there if you're going to devote time to "coaching him up." Nothing I've seen of Josh Allen and nothing in his history indicates he has the right tools and in particular he doesn't have anything close to accuracy.

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

My favorite Qb of the batch was Allen.  I did not know if Buffalo would see it that way but Im happy they did. 

Karon johnson.  Simply from the gauntlet drill video.  Ive never seen a guy get domed in that drill from the first pass.

Allen, Edmunds, and Teller

Teller

Ray Ray, and Prohle will both have stiff competition for a roster spot.  I think Ray Ray makes it as a returner so Prohle

Yes I do.  i think he starts opening day

Overall,  I am very pleased with the Bills draft.  In my opinion they have a franchise Qb in Allen.  My priority and hope was for Buffalo to leave the draft with a Qb and 3 down Linebaker.  Imo the two positions that are not available in FA are Franchise QB and stud three down bakers.  That is what they did.  Edmubnds is a complete unicorn.  6-5 250 4.5 speed at the Mike is crazy.  After the first Rd I was good.  Still thought wr was a need, oline and interior D line was next on the docket.  After Thursday night the ultimate cherry on top Friday night was Harrison Phillips.  As much as they are trying to avoid it he is a Kyle Williams clone.  100 tackles at DT is crazy.  He is the instantly the 3rd Dt.  He can rotate with Williams and Star.  I dont know enough about the remaining picks to make an overall intelligent case for any them, but from little info I gathered I  like the secondary depth at corner and saftey.  Teller looks like he could develop into a starting guard and maybe sooner rather than later.  Ray Ray from clemson seems to be an immediate option at return.  Last year watching Trubisky Prohle and Switzer seemed to always get open.  He will be in one of the toughest battles.  Going to the NE system I assume slot Wr will see an increase in priority with more underneath option routes.  Seems Prohle, Reily, and Kerley will be in competition for 2 sports.  

This has been the most pleased with a draft i have been in as long as I could remember.  Hopefully, this is one of those draft from the 80 we look back on and are able to see how it shape the franchise for a decade.  The roster is not without faults but seems to improved at key areas.    

Edmunds might be a game-changer for a decade, and the idea they got him while also swinging for the fences on their franchise QB,

Allen, but I'm respecting it as a gutsy move made while mitigating the damage (no first rounders or future picks given up) and am ready for him to hopefully prove me and others wrong. Taron Johnson felt like a bit of a reach during a run on defensive backs. However, he does seem to have some high upside makes him an interesting option for nickel.

Edmunds. Phillips will be in rotation. Teller has a good shot at guard.

If Teller beats out the competition (whatever you think of our current players) at one of the guard slots, that's a good sign for us. Going into 2017, he was one of the best guard prospects out there. If he figures out what went wrong, he could be a huge late fifth-round steal. Or he could be Cyril Richardson.

If anyone, probably Ray-Ray and/or Austin.

Ideally, no. 

Very! However Allen works out, they may have got the best MLB in years, a potential pro-bowl DT, an intriguing guard prospect, Siran Neal has some promise at safety or even LB, and they brought in a few very interesting UDFA in de Beer, Wallace (Alabama football walk on?!?!), Foster, and Boettger.

2 hours ago, berg1029 said:

Which pick did you like the most? Allen

Which pick did you like the least? Allen

Which draft picks will start this year? Edmunds, Phillips

Which late pick (post third round) has the best chance to start this year? Teller

Which pick won't make the team? Ray-Ray

Will Josh Allen start at any point this upcoming season?  Yes

Were you satisfied with the Bill's draft? Get back to me in four years

Which pick did you like the most?  Thurman Thomas (value in relation to where he was picked)

Which pick did you like the least?  Mike Williams (never seemed to even try to live up to his hype/potential)

Which draft picks will start this year?  White, Milano, Dawkins, Edmunds, and many others

Which late pick (post third round) has the best chance to start this year?  Kyle Williams

Which pick won't make the team?  Prohel

Will Josh Allen start at any point this upcoming season?  Yes - Day 1 - Rack It!

Were you satisfied with the Bill's draft?  Depending on the year..yes

2 hours ago, yungmack said:

Nope. A project QB is one who seems to have elite tools but somehow can't properly use them when it's game time. The most common one is "he's a big guy with a HUGE arm." The most common flaw this project has, generally speaking, is with accuracy, so the experts begin tinkering with his footwork, his arm angle, gloves/no gloves and anything else they believe will rescue the GM from admission of abject failure.

Tom Brady always had the tools, they just weren't considered elite, certainly not worth a first round pick. But because he had the tools -- most critical of all, he was accurate -- taking him with a late round pick was justified. Good coaching and hard work were able to raise his success. So the biggest lesson from Brady is that the tools must already be there if you're going to devote time to "coaching him up." Nothing I've seen of Josh Allen and nothing in his history indicates he has the right tools and in particular he doesn't have anything close to accuracy.

Tom Brady* was, most certainly, considered a project (at best!) when he was drafted in the sixth round.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mat68 said:

My favorite Qb of the batch was Allen.  I did not know if Buffalo would see it that way but Im happy they did. 

Karon johnson.  Simply from the gauntlet drill video.  Ive never seen a guy get domed in that drill from the first pass.

Allen, Edmunds, and Teller

Teller

Ray Ray, and Prohle will both have stiff competition for a roster spot.  I think Ray Ray makes it as a returner so Prohle

Yes I do.  i think he starts opening day

Overall,  I am very pleased with the Bills draft.  In my opinion they have a franchise Qb in Allen.  My priority and hope was for Buffalo to leave the draft with a Qb and 3 down Linebaker.  Imo the two positions that are not available in FA are Franchise QB and stud three down bakers.  That is what they did.  Edmubnds is a complete unicorn.  6-5 250 4.5 speed at the Mike is crazy.  After the first Rd I was good.  Still thought wr was a need, oline and interior D line was next on the docket.  After Thursday night the ultimate cherry on top Friday night was Harrison Phillips.  As much as they are trying to avoid it he is a Kyle Williams clone.  100 tackles at DT is crazy.  He is the instantly the 3rd Dt.  He can rotate with Williams and Star.  I dont know enough about the remaining picks to make an overall intelligent case for any them, but from little info I gathered I  like the secondary depth at corner and saftey.  Teller looks like he could develop into a starting guard and maybe sooner rather than later.  Ray Ray from clemson seems to be an immediate option at return.  Last year watching Trubisky Prohle and Switzer seemed to always get open.  He will be in one of the toughest battles.  Going to the NE system I assume slot Wr will see an increase in priority with more underneath option routes.  Seems Prohle, Reily, and Kerley will be in competition for 2 sports.  

This has been the most pleased with a draft i have been in as long as I could remember.  Hopefully, this is one of those draft from the 80 we look back on and are able to see how it shape the franchise for a decade.  The roster is not without faults but seems to improved at key areas.   

I really wish I had your confidence in Allen!  He has it all-brains & the physical attributes.  But it's not always about measurables.. here's hoping he can put it all together. 

As for Philips, I did a double take when I read he had the most tackles on the team.  A nose tackle leading the team in tackles?  What?!  Incredible.  He even had like 8 sacks I believe.  If he has half the success that he did at Stanford, he's going to be an excellent pick.  The one knock i have against him though is that these penetrating interior D linemen seem to present issues for the run defense at times.  Maybe pairing him up with someone like Star will allow Star to maintain the gaps/occupy blockers and Philips to be more aggressive in making plays in the backfield.  Might be interesting to look back at how exactly Stanford got him to be so successful

Love the Tremain Edmunds pick. Watching hs game tape, combine and seeing his measurables is incredible. And only 19. Seems like a very high character, good kid.

I haven’t seen a ILB like this before. This guy is going to be special for years! 

• Like (+1) 1

Which pick did you like the most?  Edmunds

Which pick did you like the least?  I don't dislike any of them yet

Which draft picks will start this year? Edmunds

Which late pick (post third round) has the best chance to start this year? The 4th round CB

Which pick won't make the team? My crystal ball is cloudy

Will Josh Allen start at any point this upcoming season? Only if McCarron and Peterman get hurt

Were you satisfied with the Bill's draft? Yes

11 hours ago, berg1029 said:

Which pick did you like the most? Edmunds

Which pick did you like the least? Neal

Which draft picks will start this year? Allen, Edmunds, Harrison, Teller - McCloud will return punts

Which late pick (post third round) has the best chance to start this year? Johnson, if nickle is starting

Which pick won't make the team? Proehl

Will Josh Allen start at any point this upcoming season? Week 1

Were you satisfied with the Bill's draft? yes

12 hours ago, berg1029 said:

Most? QB Josh Allen

Least? S Siran Neal- He's not a bad player I just thought we could have gone a different route.

Which Picks start? Allen (at some point), Phillips (in rotation), Taron Johnson (nickel/dime)

Post 3rd with best chance to start? CB Taron Johnson at nickel

Won't make the team? Wr Austin Proehl

Will Josh Allen start? I think he'll be our starter at some point.

Satisified with Bills draft? Absolutely, I think the future looks excellent.

Tremaine Edmunds

Ray-Ray McCloud 

If you mean week 1 then only Tremaine Edmunds

Taron Johnson

Austin Proehl

Yes - pencil him in for week 9 - Bears at home

Satisfied but no more than that