WGR Hosts Scared Of On-Air Confrontation

6 minutes ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

The work done by Sal C. andpodcasters like Eric Turner, Matt Fairburn, Joe B, Nate Geary etc. is so far superior in content that it makes WGR seem laughably bad.

Enough the ultimate homer, John Murphy, put on a show Friday that was exceptional.    All day it was guests and insight, not just option from unqualified radio jocks.

Jot a fan of Eric Turner.  He’s essentially a fan with website, if they brought him into WGR, no one would listen 

12 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Jot a fan of Eric Turner.  He’s essentially a fan with website, if they brought him into WGR, no one would listen 

Isn't that how Parker got his start evenings at WBEN AM years ago?  Granted, it's a different landscape on radio nowadays, with 2 dedicated sports talk stations on the AM dial.

40 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I hear you... he also holds the ball WAY too long, makes bad decisions, can't make the simple throws consistently, can't throw to the flats, can't throw 5 & outs, can't throw 10 & outs, over throws post routes, like you said his footwork is horrible. But out of everything you & I said....there's one thing thats probably the BIGGEST concern about Allen...

HE DIDN'T DOMINATE AGAINST MEDIOCRE COMPETITION! If he's so good why didn't he dominate? Kyle Lauletta doubled every passing stat as a Richmond Spider! Big Ben dominated the rank at Miami Ohio,  Carson Wentz, even Joe Flacco dominated at their respected levels...they showed they were men amongst boys...

Allen showed he shouldn't even be allowed in this conversation... he barely had over 5,000 yards passing, 44 TD's & 24 Picks 

Joe Flacco had 4,200 in 1 season at Delaware! 

It's crazy to even think Allen can beat out McCarron right now. That's not opinion, it's a fact. The facts are this is a QB league & Allen got overvalued & overdrafted. Please don't use the Browns to support cause they haven't been right since they came back in the league, plus teams get it wrong alot....why do you think Coaches get fired? Just because Arizona valued him too doesn't mean they know what they're doing, half of these teams are clueless! #FACTS the Seattle Seahawks traded up for a punter! That's evident teams are flat out clueless. 

But believe what you want buddy 

Some good points but there’s  a lot here to disagree with. 

1. First, it’s not that Allen can’t do any of those things you described, it’s just that he was not doing them consistently enough for what the NFL will require. We have to remember that this kid grew up on a farm and was a late bloomer. He came out of nowhere after he grew and put on weight. This is not a kid that was being groomed from the age of 7 to be a qb. He was not traveling across the country to qb clinics so there is reason to believe he can improve on his mechanics some and that he is still a work in progress. 

2. Yes, I guess Allen did not dominate or at least to the level that you would expect for a top pick. But in 2016, Allen threw 28 touchdown passes in his first year as a starter. He had some decent talent around him and was able to have more success from a statistical perspective. Allen was also 16-9 as a starter the past 2 seasons at Wyoming. This may not seem impressive but the program is generally awful. In the past 15 seasons, only 1 other Wyoming team reached 8 wins (2011). And the teams before Allen became the starter won 4,5,4 and 2 games in their seasons. That’s right, before Allen started the team won 2 games in 2015. So I would say Allen elevated the team as far as success. 

3. Yes, he probably does not beat out Mccaron to start the season. But I confident that Jackson would not have either, yet you wanted to draft him. As much as fans don’t want to hear this, it is a process. The Bills were not going to win the Super Bowl next year with Rosen or Darnold. This team is not ready yet to win at that level. What matters is long term success, not which qb starts first. If Allen is the best qb of the class in 3 years that is all that matters. None of the qb prospects are a sure thing so we will have to see how this plays out over the next few years. 

12 hours ago, beerme1 said:

You all realize that Schopp thinks each and everyone of us is a moron don't you? Maybe some of you have never heard him mock people who participate on a message board. Idiots. All of us.

he is a 50 year old man who collects baseball cards , I think he should leave folks hobbies alone 

A year ago the Buffalo News coverage of the Bills was awful, full of cheap shots and lite on info.  I think they hired a new sports editor and you can see a change in coverage.  Yes Jerry is still well Jerry but overall it is a much better read.  I say this because the on air talent on wgr is allowed to act they way they do because management lets them.   They really need to shake things up.  

• Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Mike in Syracuse said:

The work done by Sal C. andpodcasters like Eric Turner, Matt Fairburn, Joe B, Nate Geary etc. is so far superior in content that it makes WGR seem laughably bad.

What are the names of their podcasts?

This might sound odd, but I could see a new dynamic era in Bills history ending Schopp and Bulldog, and many of these WGR guy's shows. 

These guys are all associated with the losing streak Bills. Those are the Bills that these guys have kinda of built their shows around. 

Schopp doesn't even like NFL football! A great up and coming team wouldn't really suit his pissed off, ugly diatribes (no need to mention those awful, self-indulgent trivia bits he and the Dog do).

I haven't heard the show for years (I live in LA) or even read this thread, but I'm going to guess that Schopp wanted Rosen, and alludes to Bills fans being too set in their ways and stupid, to accept the outspoken, intelligent, and Jewish, Rosen? (am I right?)

I think the WGR crew should be scared. Frightened that a really new exciting era will make them passe'.

Cuz it will (and maybe they know it?).

Edited by OJABBA

2 hours ago, OJABBA said:

This might sound odd, but I could see a new dynamic era in Bills history ending Schopp and Bulldog, and many of these WGR guy's shows. 

These guys are all associated with the losing streak Bills. Those are the Bills that these guys have kinda of built their shows around. 

Schopp doesn't even like NFL football! A great up and coming team wouldn't really suit his pissed off, ugly diatribes (no need to mention those awful, self-indulgent trivia bits he and the Dog do).

I haven't heard the show for years (I live in LA) or even read this thread, but I'm going to guess that Schopp wanted Rosen, and alludes to Bills fans being too set in their ways and stupid, to accept the outspoken, intelligent, and Jewish, Rosen? (am I right?)

I think the WGR crew should be scared. Frightened that a really new exciting era will make them passe'.

Cuz it will (and maybe they know it?).

I don't listen to enough of the show to speak to what you've said about Schopp's supposed position, but in the roughly 30 minutes I hear on the drive home, I think I can sum up his position on the Bills like this:

Schopp would very much enjoy it if the Bills were forward thinking, kind of like the Eagles demonstrated last year. Just little things. Get aggressive on 4th and short, even once in awhile. Don't be afraid. Break out of that old school football guy mentality. There are useful applications of analytics for football and game strategy. USE THEM. Don't "trust your gut" as Rex Ryan would say, use your brain. Be Bill Belichick; find ways to be smarter than the other guy and exploit it mercilessly until it no longer works.

Unfortunately, I don't think the current regime will ever be those guys. Too much old school in their blood. We'll be three yards and a cloud of dust, run and stop the run for as long as Ron Howard lite is coach.

25 minutes ago, JM57 said:

I don't listen to enough of the show to speak to what you've said about Schopp's supposed position, but in the roughly 30 minutes I hear on the drive home, I think I can sum up his position on the Bills like this:

Schopp would very much enjoy it if the Bills were forward thinking, kind of like the Eagles demonstrated last year. Just little things. Get aggressive on 4th and short, even once in awhile. Don't be afraid. Break out of that old school football guy mentality. There are useful applications of analytics for football and game strategy. USE THEM. Don't "trust your gut" as Rex Ryan would say, use your brain. Be Bill Belichick; find ways to be smarter than the other guy and exploit it mercilessly until it no longer works.

Unfortunately, I don't think the current regime will ever be those guys. Too much old school in their blood. We'll be three yards and a cloud of dust, run and stop the run for as long as Ron Howard lite is coach.

Well I guess you agree with Schopp.

I think the current regime is doing a good job, it's not really fair to judge them after one season (they broke the streak), when they had Tyrod for a QB. I don't think they would have brought in a guy like Josh Allen if they didn't intend to be more aggressive in the passing game.

I actually like much of what Schopp says in general, and understand some of his tirades against the callers. I hate the trivia. It's not entertaining, yet he looooves to do it, which just makes it worse. It's like he is indulging himself to annoy his listeners.

But I also think that it's easy for some guy that is more interested in tennis than football to just throw out criticisms like "they need to be more modern". Being critical of the Bills has been like shooting at a very big barn for the last 20 years. 

So what I gather from this entire thread is that you all listen to WGR and are not going to stop listening to WGR. But you are going to complain about it a lot.

Also, WGR is not bad at all, trust me. You can have the local talk show where I am, where the shows just make fun of each other all day. 

On 4/29/2018 at 7:26 AM, CLTbills said:

Schopp posted some nonsense on Twitter about how it's "incomprehensible" that the bills traded up and took Allen over...... Lamar Jackson. Wasn't complaining that we passed on ROSEN, but Lamar Jackson. Seriously? As if he knows better than the other 31 team's multi- million dollar scouting departments. 

He then posted some crap later about the Bills' "track record" in these situations. I had to remind him that that is 150% irrelevant considering Beane has been here exactly one year, and the Bills canned their entire scouting department after last year's draft. Like what does anything before Beane took over have anything to do with now?

I mean I know he's gotta have a "hot take" for ratings, clicks, etc., But...... Jackass

Um, have you seen the NFL Draft success/bust rate.

Those "million dollar" scouting departments are glorified weathermen. 

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, OJABBA said:

Well I guess you agree with Schopp.

I think the current regime is doing a good job, it's not really fair to judge them after one season (they broke the streak), when they had Tyrod for a QB. I don't think they would have brought in a guy like Josh Allen if they didn't intend to be more aggressive in the passing game.

I actually like much of what Schopp says in general, and understand some of his tirades against the callers. I hate the trivia. It's not entertaining, yet he looooves to do it, which just makes it worse. It's like he is indulging himself to annoy his listeners.

But I also think that it's easy for some guy that is more interested in tennis than football to just throw out criticisms like "they need to be more modern". Being critical of the Bills has been like shooting at a very big barn for the last 20 years. 

I'm not even talking about being aggressive in the passing game. I'm talking about  being aggressive like, it's 4th and 1 or 4th and inches and you choose to punt. Why?

Tom Brady is possibly the least athletically gifted starting QB in the league and he can convert a QB sneak in that situation at an obscene rate. The Bills on the other hand, can't, or don't, trust their OL to get enough push to gain 3 feet or less in the same situation which drives me absolutely nuts.

22 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

Um, have you seen the NFL Draft success/bust rate.

Those "million dollar" scouting departments are glorified weathermen. 

While I don't necessarily disagree.... I'm going to put more stock in the people that do this for a living, not some blowhard talk-show host that thinks he knows more than everyone else.

4 hours ago, bbb said:

What are the names of their podcasts?

Joe B and Matt Fairburn have a weekly podcast called "The Bills Beat"

I highly recommend it.

As far as WGR goes, they aren't without their flaws, but for being a year round sports station in a 2 sport market with teams that rarely have success, I think they do a good job of keeping the conversation moving.

They squeezed every drop of juice possible out of this draft talk the last 4 months. The Bills didn't take the guy they wanted (not including Bulldog. He said he was happy they got a guy and wasn't mad about taking Allen over Rosen) and it probably felt anti-climatic on Friday.

On 4/27/2018 at 10:37 PM, BuffaloRush said:

Howard and Jeremy usually are good.  I have a hard time listening to Schopp and Bulldog but will for the interviews

I really like Howard, Jeremy and Sal.  I listen to Schoop and the Bulldog just because they are talking about the Bills and at least that's a benefit.

Bulldog is okay but I think he allows Schoop to persuade his opinions.  I think Bulldog disagrees with a lot from Schoop but doesn't want have on air conflict so he just stops.  I think Schoop is a moron but it's better to have a moron talking Bills than nothing.

On 4/28/2018 at 10:05 PM, BuffaloRush said:

I listen to them too and you really are downplaying their comments.  They literally spent the first hour complaining about the pick.  I will post the link if you want to hear it again.  Howard started the show by saying “I don’t want to be having these conversations this morning.”  As they received worse and worse feedback they walked their comments back a bit by saying “I’m hoping he’ll turn out to be good, but I don’t think he will.”

It was a very negative show, which is fine.  They are entitled to their opinion - but just don’t pretend it was something it wasn’t.  They spent all morning trashing the pick and Allen

That show was like a wake.

Great example here of how Howard backed down:

Brandon starts he interview with Howard and and asks how they are doing.  When he responds “pretty good,” Beane says “just pretty good?” giving Howard the chance to complain to his face about the pick as he did Friday morning.

Of course, Howard responds by saying “I’m pumped” LOL he didn’t sound so pumped the morning after the draft.

I love Howard but man, the morning crew came off pretty weak here.  

3 hours ago, CountDorkula said:

Listening today, I actually feel sorry for Howard and Jeremy.

The worst people on WGR are the Tweeters, Texters, callers.  :wacko:

I've always believed if they took less calls(or even no calls), the program(both morning and afternoon shows) would be much better.  Of course that would mean they would have to prepare more, and have more guests on...other than Sal and Hamilton, Sal and Hamilton, Sal and Hamilton, rinse and repeat.

6 hours ago, JM57 said:

I'm not even talking about being aggressive in the passing game. I'm talking about  being aggressive like, it's 4th and 1 or 4th and inches and you choose to punt. Why?

Tom Brady is possibly the least athletically gifted starting QB in the league and he can convert a QB sneak in that situation at an obscene rate. The Bills on the other hand, can't, or don't, trust their OL to get enough push to gain 3 feet or less in the same situation which drives me absolutely nuts.

I definitely want more "going for it" on 4th and short, in between the 40s, etc.....................But, Schoop kills his case by his "never punt" stance...............Same as his "pass on ever down" stance. 

8 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I really like Howard, Jeremy and Sal.  I listen to Schoop and the Bulldog just because they are talking about the Bills and at least that's a benefit.

Bulldog is okay but I think he allows Schoop to persuade his opinions.  I think Bulldog disagrees with a lot from Schoop but doesn't want have on air conflict so he just stops.  I think Schoop is a moron but it's better to have a moron talking Bills than nothing.

I know he is hugely unpopular on this board and I am not a huge fan of him for other reasons, but I would argue Mike Schopp is the smartest guy on the station, and by a wide margin.

50 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

I know he is hugely unpopular on this board and I am not a huge fan of him for other reasons, but I would argue Mike Schopp is the smartest guy on the station, and by a wide margin.

And, he'll let you know it, being in Mensa and all..................But, he's not smart enough to know that How ya doing?  is a salutation, just like Hi.  It's not meant to elicit a response about how he's really doing.

Jeremy and Howard had Beane on the morning show this morning. Perfect opportunity to tell him he f##cked up, but instead crickets. Beane even asked Simon if he's sure that he's okay, I'm sure referring to Friday's wake after the Allen pick. Beane knows what's being said. But he and McDermott don't care. Trust the process or get off the bus.

7 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Great example here of how Howard backed down:

Brandon starts he interview with Howard and and asks how they are doing.  When he responds “pretty good,” Beane says “just pretty good?” giving Howard the chance to complain to his face about the pick as he did Friday morning.

Of course, Howard responds by saying “I’m pumped” LOL he didn’t sound so pumped the morning after the draft.

I love Howard but man, the morning crew came off pretty weak here.  

What good would it do to argue with a reoccurring guest?  

2 minutes ago, stony said:

What good would it do to argue with a reoccurring guest?  

Showing you're not a two-faced kitty, for one.  There is a way to respectfully dissent or at least acknowledge you don't see it the same way.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

26 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Showing you're not a two-faced kitty, for one.  There is a way to respectfully dissent or at least acknowledge you don't see it the same way.

It's talk radio, not the wild west.  Pretty sure Beane's not waiting in the back alley to defend his honor.