Mason Rudolph to Pitts

26 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

It's a little bit more than 1% 11-12 teams (~35%) this year will have opening day starters that were not first round picks, and that's been pretty much the standard for the last 10 years. Among the better QBS you have Wilson, Cousins, Carr,  Garappolo, Brady, Brees. It's not exactly the prescribed route, but it's far from a wing and a prayer.

Some of the best all time were not top 10 QB's picked. Montana was 3rd rounder I believe. Favre was a late second round, Marino was picked near end of 1st just like Jackson this year. Brees 2nd, Wilson 3rd, Brady 6th, Theismann 4th, Staubach 10th, Stabler 2nd, Blanda 12th, Tarkenton 3rd, Star 17th, Fouts 3rd, Rypien 6th, Brocklin 4th, Warner undrafted, Jurgensen 4th, Unitas 9th. 

43 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is very good. It means our staff uses common sense and rational thought and understands values and projection. Beane does not seem like the type of guy who will reach. 

So a guy that threw for 5000 yards in two seasons, 56% and two shoulder injuries at 7 was what the Bills thought was a good idea. Maybe it works but this more likely sounds like it won't. 

Edited by USABuffaloFan
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Good for Mason, great situation. It was fun watching him in college the last couple of years. I started this season really hoping he'd take the next step and become a top talent, but it just didnt happen.

Still would rather have him over Jackson if we got locked out of the Big 4.

You can say the same thing, to a lesser extent, about Sam Darnold.

I still like Rudolph and think he has at least as much of a shot in the NFL as Josh Allen.

8 hours ago, /dev/null said:

James Washington and Mason Rudolph

There were a few TSW wet dreams involving those two in the first

...interesting that it is only the 9th time in NFL history that a collegiate QB/WR duo has been drafted by the same team.................

It is a terrific pick. 

The people saying "he is no better than Landry Jones" could not be more wrong.  Mason Rudolph is a good Quarterback.  He is a good NFL prospect and he will succeed Big Ben. The Steelers have been on him throughout the process and took his #1 receiver a pick before.  The Ok St. offense resembles the Steelers offense closer than any other offense in the National Football League.

Rudolph will end up the next starting Quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.  You can take that to the bank. 

• Like (+1) 1

Only thing I like about Allen is he played in an offense that forced him to be a QB. Could explain why he looked lost at times. If Allen played in a system like Rudolph his numbers would be great. 

We see QB's like Rudolph every year. They get in a pro system and are just lost trying to process. 

5 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

So a guy that threw for 5000 yards in two seasons, 56% and two shoulder injuries at 7 was what the Bills thought was a good idea. Maybe it works but this more likely sounds like it won't. 

Stats are very fickle and this has benn discussed on here a lot. You would have drafted this guy at 12 instead? Only time will tell, but anyone who still thinks we should have drafted this 3rd round pick at 12 or 22 does not understand the draft. It's potential franchise changing QB vs potential solid backup. 

24 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Stats are very fickle and this has benn discussed on here a lot. You would have drafted this guy at 12 instead? Only time will tell, but anyone who still thinks we should have drafted this 3rd round pick at 12 or 22 does not understand the draft. It's potential franchise changing QB vs potential solid backup. 

I wouldn't have taken Allen until the 3rd though..... I know the reality was he was never getting there so he was in essence "off my board". 

8 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Hiding likely. People wanted to draft this guy at 12. Unbelieveable. 

Thurmanator probably is drinking bleach right now.

Not only did the bills trade up and take Allen,  Rosen went before #12, but Rudolph went #12 IN THE THIRD!!!

His entire thread crusading about "Rosen and Rudolph will be available at #12 and the bills will absolutely take Rudolph" was a hoot.

I remember him calling me an idiot many times for laughing at him in it.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Brooks had him going 12 to the Bills because of fit for the culture.  Also nuts.  

Not as much nuts as just imputing the irrational inflation of QBs over real value that can happen. 

Mahomes is an example last year.  Crazy to spend a high first rder on a guy that isn’t even ready to play for the first couple million of their contract. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

2 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Not as much nuts as just imputing the irrational inflation of QBs over real value that can happen. 

Mahomes last year is an example last year.  Crazy to spend a pick that isn’t even ready to play for the first couple million of their contract. 

I completely disagree with this because if Mahomes,  or any other drafted QB for that matter, is a hit he can be the key player for the franchse for 15+ years. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I wouldn't have taken Allen until the 3rd though..... I know the reality was he was never getting there so he was in essence "off my board". 

I hear you and I appreciate the work you do. But the entire NFL determined Allen was a top ten pick and Rudolph was a third rounder. A number of teams that could use a developmental guy passed like the Chargers, Patriots, even the Steelers waited until the third. 

Just now, MrEpsYtown said:

I hear you and I appreciate the work you do. But the entire NFL determined Allen was a top ten pick and Rudolph was a third rounder. A number of teams that could use a developmental guy passed like the Chargers, Patriots, even the Steelers waited until the third. 

In fairness the Steelers did say they had round 2 value on him but determined for the run on receivers they had to take Washington there to get him and then started immediately trying to get back up for Rudolph and that Green Bay were the first team willing to move and where the deal made sense. 

The NFL will be wrong on Josh Allen.  If anything I am more convinced today than I was yesterday. 

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

It is a terrific pick. 

The people saying "he is no better than Landry Jones" could not be more wrong.  Mason Rudolph is a good Quarterback.  He is a good NFL prospect and he will succeed Big Ben. The Steelers have been on him throughout the process and took his #1 receiver a pick before.  The Ok St. offense resembles the Steelers offense closer than any other offense in the National Football League.

Rudolph will end up the next starting Quarterback of the Pittsburgh Steelers.  You can take that to the bank. 

We will see.  It's a good pick in the sense that they didn't spend a blue chip asset on him and his strength (throwing downfield) matches up well with their offense.  But his physical skillset is much closer to Tommy Maddox than Big Ben, and reading defenses is not something he's proven he can do.

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I completely disagree with this because if Mahomes,  or any other drafted QB for that matter, is a hit, he can be the key player for the franchse for 15+ years. 

I understand it’s done and why. But it’s still not entirely rational to me that guys not ready to play yet are picked ahead of ones that are. The positional importance artificially inflates value.