Tremaine Edmunds Scouting Report

I think he could be an absolute beast.  The downhill steps point he makes becomes a little moot when you consider he had a large amount of tackles for a loss and was a Butkus award finalist.  He did attack, and was successful.  I think his ability to cover makes him a prototype for the modern NFL, and also makes him very dangerous blitzing as he will switch from cover to blitz keeping everyone guessing.  i think a tremendous pick, and was happy to pay what we gave up to go get him (was not thrilled wit hthe draft capital we paid to move up for Allen)

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Some important caveats but, wow, this guy's excited about Edmunds!

Thanks for posting.  

The factor that excited me most learning about him is that he is only 19. We have so much potential if we groom and coach him well.  

3 minutes ago, mykidsdad said:

I'm so much more excited about Edmunds than Allen. He looks like a star in the making.

I agree that the chances of Edmunds being a star are greater than Allen's.

But as a fan, I'm hoping we defy the odds and both turn into stars.  

5 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

this is our kuechly, this guys coverage ability at his size is insane

He'd be a sick strong safety.

He's got some bad habits at LB, though, and won't be able to make up for them with raw talent at the pro level.

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

He'd be a sick strong safety.

He's got some bad habits at LB, though, and won't be able to make up for them with raw talent at the pro level.

Oh I dont think he is a finished product, but I believe we have the proper coaches on defense to help him with those bad steps etc. 

7 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Oh I dont think he is a finished product, but I believe we have the proper coaches on defense to help him with those bad steps etc. 

Particularly since he's young.

But the question these days always comes down to: how much time do they get to develop?  This isn't the 80's, where high draft picks get five years to grow.  And that's really what Edmunds and Rosen need. 

Will they get it?  Or will someone pull the plug after three?  Or even dumber...will people decide they're busts irrespective of performance because they cost too many draft picks?

2 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

But the question these days always comes down to: how much time do they get to develop?  This isn't the 80's, where high draft picks get five years to grow.  And that's really what Edmunds and Rosen need. 

Will they get it?  Or will someone pull the plug after three?  Or even dumber...will people decide they're busts irrespective of performance because they cost too many draft picks?

Actually the question is how much rope will this coaching staff get?  Because once they change coaching staffs and schemes, all of these picks are on borrowed time.

Just now, DC Tom said:

With fans, especially around here, they will be called busts after the first pre season game, or future all pros depending lol

One thing this coaching staff has that the others didnt, is that they got the playoff monkey of their backs, so it affords them more time. Both of these picks scream long term thinking to me, and with how Beane and McD seem to be in lockstep, I think they will try to be patient. But who knows how quickly these guys learn, and how quickly they may be forced to play due to either injuries or lack of talent ahead of them.