Why all the picks for a project QB?

Just now, xRUSHx said:

Again how do you know Arizona or Miami didn't call to offer almost as much for pick 7? 

Making that move to select Rosen would have been more reasonable.  Instead they chose a project QB at pick 7.  This is madness. This is such a huge disappointment, the bust potential of this pick is very high.

• Like (+1) 1

Sure seems like we overpaid to move up for Allen compared to what Arizona paid to move up to Oakland's spot (a 3rd and a 5th).   I feel like there was a bit of panic in making this trade up at this point of the draft considering that neither Miami nor Arizona had the draft capital that we had to move up.  I am very disappointed that we do not have a pick in the second round because of moving up for Allen.  We have too many holes and this was not good value.  Not a fan of this move or the pick.

Edited by jahnyc

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

The real question is who made the better deal? The Bills or Arizona? Each got a QB and you could’ve swapped the names. Rosen and Allen will be linked for a few years now....just like Darnold and Mayfield will be. 

IMO after all of this the deal is done and the Bills walked away with two solid prospects that they wanted. The Bills have all of next year's picks and will end up with the same amount of picks in a draft that they would have had without the trades that happened(of course this year we had more picks but I would rather have quality over quantity). They got a top 4 QB prospect and a top 2 LB prospect, I think they did good, better then let's say Miami got out of this draft so far IMO. 

6 minutes ago, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

Making that move to select Rosen would have been more reasonable.  Instead they chose a project QB at pick 7.  This is madness. This is such a huge disappointment, the bust potential of this pick is very high.

Rosen has had injuries man, they might have thought it was too risky to take him. This staff picked Allen over him and as fans we need to support the choice. Rosen was not chosen get over it and move on. 

3 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Rosen has had injuries man, they might have thought it was too risky to take him. This staff picked Allen over him and as fans we need to support the choice. Rosen was not chosen get over it and move on. 

No, we do not have to support the incompetence of the franchise.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Rosen-not-Chosen said:

No, we do not have to support the incompetence of the franchise.  

Your funny. You have zero rep points how much have you supported this team so far?

Definitely worried that the Cardinals were coming for Allen.. I think Rosen was their guy from the get go personally. Would've been okay seeing if he was there if not go defense with Vea and trade up for Edmunds.. Not sold on Allen at all. He looked average at best against mediocre competition. Never looked like he was the best player on the field in college. Big arm, big body who lacks inconsistency.  Hopefully i'm wrong and or McCarron takes his game up a notch and everything turns out well.

31 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Allen has all the physical tools.  Mentally he is really slow and doesn't see simple blitzes or make easy High school level reads consistently. 

In 2-4 years he MIGHT develop and be as good as Josn Rosen is right now.  Rosen will likely be competing for Superbowls on his rookie contract while the Bills are still wondering if Allen will be the guy or not. 

McBean just penned their own oink slips if this kid doesn't perform. 

This has to be the dumbest thing I've heard yet, congrats, literally no one has said this of Allen.

My main fear before the draft: we wouldn't get one of the Big 4 QBs.

My secondary fear before the draft: we'd trade not just this year's #12 to get that QB, but also next year's first round pick, or (not quite as bad) both of this year's first round picks.

All fears allayed. Yes, there's big holes to fill, and those second rounders would've helped to fill them. But there's a QB, there's a plan, and overall, I like it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Beane and company are idoits giving up (2) number 2's to move 5 spots when the only team in front of them who may have been looking to draft a QB was Miami.  We really could of used both those 2 picks in the second round.  So many holes on this roster giving up picks for a guy who is a project with high end arm talent was a stupid move.  Not other team was going to give that many picks for a project type of player.  

www.nfl.com/videos/.../Soul-Science-How-fast-can-Josh-Allen-throw

Someone go back and assemble all the posts that said do whatever it takes to get a franchise qb...

1 minute ago, greeneblitz said:

more than double what???? everyone knows that the old charts are fairly worthless at the top of the draft with the new rookie salary structure.

Not having any 2nd round picks in this deep draft after trading up for a project QB with accuracy issues (which are usually not fixable in the NFL) is a travesty. Beane got fleeced, the Cardinals trade proves that.

Yes they traded picks but instead of the glass half empty it’s really more like they moved UP not DOWN, jumping back into the first round for a much needed LB. So they got two picks out of Rounds One and Two just like they would’ve any other year. And...they can go see the sites in Dallas/Fort Worth all day today! ?

1 minute ago, greeneblitz said:

more than double what???? everyone knows that the old charts are fairly worthless at the top of the draft with the new rookie salary structure.

The draft value charts aren't useless. They're useful as a general guide to the value of picks. But they aren't some kind of magical formula for success. Smart teams realize where they are in the competition cycle, and also the positional strengths of the current draft class and future draft classes. Based on where the Bills are now, what the 2019 QB draft class promises (not much), the likelihood of acquiring a very good free agent QB or trading for one in the next couple years (very low), and Allen's likely development curve (a guy you'd hope will hit his stride by 2020), this is a perfectly reasonable calculated risk.

“We have too many holes to fill.”

Screw the holes. A QB cures all.

Kudos to Beane and company for having balls to go get Allen while adding the best LB prospect in draft too.

I swear some of you just B word and moan 24/7. Give the kid a chance people.

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yes they traded picks but instead of the glass half empty it’s really more like they moved UP not DOWN, jumping back into the first round for a much needed LB. So they got two picks out of Rounds One and Two just like they would’ve any other year. And...they can go see the sites in Dallas/Fort Worth all day today! ?

Unfortunetly for them the best buys are tonight

1 hour ago, Niagara Dude said:

Beane and company are idoits giving up (2) number 2's to move 5 spots when the only team in front of them who may have been looking to draft a QB was Miami.  We really could of used both those 2 picks in the second round.  So many holes on this roster giving up picks for a guy who is a project with high end arm talent was a stupid move.  Not other team was going to give that many picks for a project type of player.  

www.nfl.com/videos/.../Soul-Science-How-fast-can-Josh-Allen-throw

We have too many to fill!!!  LOL

You can dislike the pick of Allen over Rosen, as I do, but the Bills were able to get, their top choice at QB (or at worst, their 3rd choice) without surrendering their 1st round pick in either 2018 or 2019.  They did give up a little more based on draft charts, but overall the value they got with the pick was great.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Allen has all the physical tools.  Mentally he is really slow and doesn't see simple blitzes or make easy High school level reads consistently. 

In 2-4 years he MIGHT develop and be as good as Josn Rosen is right now.  Rosen will likely be competing for Superbowls on his rookie contract while the Bills are still wondering if Allen will be the guy or not. 

McBean just penned their own oink slips if this kid doesn't perform. 

Just like Rosen took UCLA to the national championship right?

Rosen is going to be out of the league after his next concussion.  He better pray Bradford's knees hold up before the Cards have to play the Darnold Suh wrecking crew

3 minutes ago, napmaster said:

Just like Rosen took UCLA to the national championship right?

Rosen is going to be out of the league after his next concussion.  He better pray Bradford's knees hold up before the Cards have to play the Darnold Suh wrecking crew

Mayfield will retire after his next concussion too.  And Allen after his next shoulder surgery. 

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Believing in a guy as a franchise - type starter and taking a 5th round flyer on a Nate Peterman are completely different.

Well although I agree, what I referring to was that they benched TT in favor of NP whom they thought was ready.  Hey I wanted TT benched as well, but maybe we shouldn't be in such a hurry to just trust the process every single time our gut tells us that it smells bad..

Tim-

2 hours ago, greeneblitz said:

This has to be the dumbest thing I've heard yet, congrats, literally no one has said this of Allen.

Thats not true. Ive heard it from a lot of people.  Look at his 2017 games. I did. You can see him struggle under pressure, throw dirt balls, and leave a clean pocket cuz he cant find the right read from inside it.

This was A HORRIBLE PICK vs Rosen.