The Bills will build a champion in this draft

Billsguy

I know the Bills faithful are foaming at the mouth to get a top two (or top 5 at the worst) to draft a QB. My worst fear is that the Bills trade away 3 or 4 potential starters (i.e. high draft picks) to draft an unknown commodity in this year's draft. The Bills are clearly desperate and scared. GM Beane reeks of desperation. Desperate men usually make bad decisions that are regrettable in the long run. They are desperate to draft ahead of the Jets. This is a recipe for disaster. We are not talking about drafting Peyton Manning here, but rather a group of equally matched flawed prospects. This would be an epic gamble and the cost of failure could be huge and lasting. 

The Bills panicked with Rob Johnson, EJ Manuel, Drew Bledsoe, and Sammy Watkins to name a few. Panic and desperation are the enemies of clear thinking.

If Beane pulls the trigger and empties the draft cupboard to select one of these top draft eligible QB's, I think the Bills organization will regret it in the long run. This decision could set the Bills back several more years. Beane may build a champion, but it will be the team he trades with and not the Bills.  

My suggestion would be to remain at 12 and see where the chips fall. My guess is that a very good QB prospect may still be there. Lamar Jackson is very possible. If not, how about a top linebacker or lineman or WR. The Bills have numerous holes to fill and giving away all their top picks on a gamble is not a high percentage play.

Please keep calm Mr. Beane and think long term. I know this won't be popular, but I think it is the right thing to do.

Edited by Billsguy
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Billsguy said:

I know the Bills faithful are foaming at the mouth to get a top two (or top 5 at the worst) to draft a QB. My worst fear is that the Bills trade away 3 or 4 potential starters (i.e. high draft picks) to draft an unknown commodity in this year's draft. The Bills are clearly desperate and scared. GM Beane reeks of desperation. Desperate men usually make bad decisions that are regrettable in the long run. They are desperate to draft ahead of the Jets. This is a recipe for disaster. We are not talking about drafting Peyton Manning here, but rather a group of equally matched flawed prospects. This would be an epic gamble and the cost of failure could be huge and lasting. 

The Bills panicked with Rob Johnson, EJ Manuel, Drew Bledsoe, and Sammy Watkins to name a few. Panic and desperation are the enemies of clear thinking.

If Beane pulls the trigger and empties the draft cupboard to select one of these top draft eligible QB's, I think the Bills organization will regret it in the long run. This decision could set the Bills back several more years. Beane may build a champion, but it will be the team he trades with and not the Bills.  

My suggestion would be to remain at 12 and see where the chips fall. My guess is that a very good QB prospect may still be there. Lamar Jackson is very possible. If not, how about a top linebacker or lineman or WR. The Bills have numerous holes to fill and giving away all their top picks on a gamble is not a high percentage play.

Please keep calm Mr. Beane and think long term. I know this won't be popular, but I think it is the right thing to do.

My personal observation of Brandon Beane is the exact opposite.

• Like (+1) 1

YES!!!  Hang on to all those 2nd and 3rd round picks instead of attempting to get the next franchise QB whom they have been looking for since Kelly era.  The following people also agree with you...

Traveres Tillman

Cory Moore

Ron Edwards

Ryan Denny

Angelo Crowell

Tim Anderson

Trent Edwards

James Hardy

Chris Ellis

Terrell Troup

Alex Carrington

TJ Graham

Should I stop yet?

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

YES!!!  Hang on to all those 2nd and 3rd round picks instead of attempting to get the next franchise QB whom they have been looking for since Kelly era.  The following people also agree with you...

Traveres Tillman

Cory Moore

Ron Edwards

Ryan Denny

Angelo Crowell

Tim Anderson

Trent Edwards

James Hardy

Chris Ellis

Terrell Troup

Alex Carrington

TJ Graham

Should I stop yet?

Yes please!! You are giving me nightmares lol

11 minutes ago, Billsguy said:

would it be panicking if he took Josh Allen at 12, when an immediate impact, All-Pro player was available? Call that guy Nelson, or Ward, or Edmunds. I don't care. 

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Billsguy said:

That same Peyton Manning where there was debate about who was #1 between him and Leaf up until draft day?

And who's to say those other picks would automatically be starters?  They could be busts just as easily.  Everyone assuming those are going to be impact players is funny. 

EJ Manuel we traded down and drafted him.  How is that panic?  Sammy Watkins was thought to be a sure thing, can't miss, top tier WR to pair up with your young QB.  How is that panic?

Edited by Mark80

Personally I think AJ can get us back to the playoffs if we keep our picks and draft well. He's not a Franchise QB but he is good enough with the right talent around him. I'm not sure any of the Top QBs this year can come in and win if we don't fill the holes on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Holes man! Holes!  The most important hole to fill is the one at QB that's been around for 22 FN years. Enough with the holes and mediocre QB argument.  It's the path to continued franchise irrelevance.

Help me out here, can you share your vision on how a rookie QB is going to get us to the promised land with no real WRs or OL protection? I remember the Texans tried that and limited David Carr's career.

Let's say we trade up and get your top choice, is your plan that we sit him till next year and draft the other players we need? or do we throw him out there to see if he survives

Edited by ProcessAccepted
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Help me out here, can you share your vision on how a rookie QB is going to get us to the promised land with no real WRs or OL protection? I remember the Texans tried that and limited David Carr's career.

Let's say we trade up and get your top choice, is your plan that we sit him till next year and draft the other players we need?

Rebuilding the team is not a single offseason proposition. They do not have to give up all of their picks this season and they have lots of cap space in 2019 to fill these precious holes.  Additionally, they have AJM already in place to start this season if required as a bridge to the new QB.

Don't think Beane is in any sort of panic mode. 

But wonder if he thinks about (regrets ?) had he stayed with Charlotte a few more months he'd now be the GM of a good football team with a good QB. 

Edited by Ifartalot

I don’t see this as desperation at all! If the Bills choose not to take a QB tomorrow they’ll  instead have loaded the roster with young talent at many positions of real need and almost certainly regress in the win-loss column in 2018 setting them up to make their big draft move for a QB in 2019. Either way, I can see a totally well thought out strategy here...not desperation.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Ifartalot said:

Don't think Beane is in panic mode. 

But wonder if he regrets not staying in Charlotte another season where he'd now be the GM of a good football team with a good QB. 

He looks happy to me. Really supportive owner and a HC with whom he has a great relationship. 

Charlotte doesn't is up for sale and they don't have the Mafia for fans

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I don’t see this as desperation at all! If the Bills choose not to take a QB tomorrow they’ll  instead have loaded the roster with young talent at many positions of real need and almost certainly regress in the win-loss column in 2018 setting them up to make their big draft move for a QB in 2019. Either way, I can see a totally well thought out strategy here...not desperation.

I agree with everything you said except I'm not certain that they will regress in the win loss column

4 minutes ago, ProcessAccepted said:

I agree with everything you said except I'm not certain that they will regress in the win loss column

Well we’re all going to see.  But as I see it they got a free first year with that 9-7 record and backing into the playoffs. They’re playing with house money in 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Mark80 said:

That same Peyton Manning where there was debate about who was #1 between him and Leaf up until draft day?

And who's to say those other picks would automatically be starters?  They could be busts just as easily.  Everyone assuming those are going to be impact players is funny. 

EJ Manuel we traded down and drafted him.  How is that panic?  Sammy Watkins was thought to be a sure thing, can't miss, top tier WR to pair up with your young QB.  How is that panic?

If drafting Manuel & Watkins weren't panic moves, they were definitely stupid moves.  1) Drafted Manuel in the 1st in a draft that could clearly be seen before the draft to be one of the worst QB classes in years.  Well before that draft (on another board) I compared that QB class to the most recent worst ones & said the class could end up with no QBs who would play well in the NFL.  If I could see it, why couldn't Buddy Nix, it was pretty obvious that it was a bad year to draft a QB.  The smart move would have been to keep Fitzpatrick another season & hold off on drafting a QB.  The problem was stupid Nix got caught disparaging Fitz in that hacked phone call.  Instead of cutting Fitz, I would have fired Buddy on the spot & told Whaley not to draft a QB. 2) Whaley, who was in on the Manuel fiasco, felt a need to double down & in a draft loaded with quality WRs, overspent to move up & draft Watkins.  Maybe not a panic move, but definitely a dumb one.  In his GM obit, the Watkins trade was mentioned by all who wrote one as the beginning of the end for Whaley.