It's #2 Spot or no Trade-Up at All

2 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

never started...ummm    he was paid as a back up because dalton was paid as a starter.

One of biggest QB winners in college history, McCarron filled No. 2 QB role in ’16 ... Took over No. 1 job in ’15 season, after Andy Dalton suffered thumb fracture Dec. 13 vs. Pittsburgh, and posted 97.1 season passer rating while becoming only QB in Bengals history to have no INTs in first three starts ... In ’15 season Wild Card playoff vs. Pittsburgh, led Bengals from 15-0 deficit after three quarters to 16-15 lead, only to see Steelers prevail 18-16 on late FG ... Joined 53-player roster late in 2014 after rehab from college shoulder injury ... Posted 36-4 record in three seasons as Crimson Tide starter, leading national championship teams in 2011 and ’12 ... Set Alabama records for TD passes (77), passing yards (9019) and completion percentage (66.9) ... Finished second in 2013 Heisman Trophy voting behind Florida State QB Jameis Winston.

Spot duty.  He was't brought it as a starter.  i get it you liked him since Alabama.  He never beat out Dalton, the chances of him being anything more than a spot starter in the NFL is quite small.  I am not going into 2018 as Mccarron as my unquestioned starter and leader.  Maybe he is fantastic but more likely whoever Buffalo drafts early quickly becomes the starter.  

11 hours ago, par73 said:

From what I've been hearing, the top four don't seem to be interested in moving. In that scenario, the top 3 guys might be gone, and I would have no interest in reaching. That preemptive strike by the Jets really has the Bills in a pickle, I think.

I'm not convinced 2 is utterly out of play.  4 may also be available.  Three teams may be involved.  A lot will be determined by who the Browns end up taking at 1.  If Browns pass on Darnold and the Giants decide not to go qb, I think the Bills have a strong offer set to go.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

With the Broncos pick wide open at 5, the Bills would have made this move already if they liked 3 QBs.

This tells me that there are 2 that they would give up the farm for and we won't know that until Cleveland picks. If the Giants sit and pick at 2, the writing is on the wall for tier 2 qb. 

Don't most trades happen during the draft?  The Jets trade was not the norm.  So, this really tells us nothing.

3 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm not convinced 2 is utterly out of play.  4 may also be available.  Three teams may be involved.  A lot will be determined by who the Browns end up taking at 1.  If Browns pass on Darnold and the Giants decide not to go qb, I think the Bills have a strong offer set to go.

This is exactly right and the dream scenario. Browns and Giants both pass on Darnold and the world is ours. I don't think there is a chance in Hell that happens though...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloBaumer said:

This is exactly right and the dream scenario. Browns and Giants both pass on Darnold and the world is ours. I don't think there is a chance in Hell that happens though...

I'm going to keep hope alive, even if it's a flickering candle.

I don't get it, and I don't buy it.  It is more unusual to consumate first round draft trades prior to the draft than during the draft.  Beane will have talked trade terms with every team above them in the draft, but most teams would hesitate to make the draft official until they know who is on the board.  Denver may have a player they would want rather than trade the pick.  If that player is on the board, the trade never happens.  Suppose Saquon Barkley drops for some reason.  Denver might end up kicking themselves in the arse all the way from Dallas back to the mile high city if they don't have the pick to be able to snatch him up.

14 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Faulty premise. 

Exactly. Why would you trade up when you don't know who is left on the board? That'd be cool, to trade up to 5 only to realize none of the QBs you were interested in are available :wallbash:. What if the first 3 picks are all QBs OP?

It all comes down to who the Browns pick at 1, IMO.  Beane and Co, have mapped all the possible scenarios, and they start to come to light at about 8:15PM Tomorrow night.

I am on record saying that the Browns will not pick a QB at 1 (I know that this is not in anyway popular thought), and if they do not, the Giants will have no interest in trading away that pick.  If however, the Browns do pick a QB (most likely Darnold or Allen) then the Giants will be open to trading back to 4 for Barkley.  The only way the Bills get to two is by trading to 4 with the Browns, who will have their QB already, and then trading to 2 with the Giants.  I could see something like this happening.

Bills to Browns for No 4 overall, picks 12, 22, 65.

Bills to Giants for No 2 overall, Bills offer 4, 56.

Bills land their QB, for what amounts to two firsts, one 2nd, and one 3rd, oh and Glenn. :)

Not bad, I can live with that.

Tim-

Edited by D521646

57 minutes ago, ndirish1978 said:

Exactly. Why would you trade up when you don't know who is left on the board? That'd be cool, to trade up to 5 only to realize none of the QBs you were interested in are available :wallbash:. What if the first 3 picks are all QBs OP?

The whole point is that it says the Bills will only trade the farm for 2 qbs... so if they are gone, none of it matters. Two is the only place they can go unless somehow one of them slips past the Jets

On ‎4‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, Meh. said:

You move up to 5 now and give other QB-needy teams two days to trade up to 4 or 2. Better to let the chips fall and make a move the night of, if they can get the guy they want.

If we were going to do something today I'd say try to move to 4 with the Browns, and then on draft day if the Giants bite (since they'd be able to get Barkley at 4), leapfrog the Jets.

If you move up to #5 now, you greatly improve your chances of a second trade up to #2 or #4, especially #2.

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

If you move up to #5 now, you greatly improve your chances of a second trade up to #2 or #4, especially #2.

How do you trade up to 2 or 4 when you gave up everything to get to 5? If you get to 5 you ain't moving again. Its either 2 or 4 or 5. 

15 minutes ago, Bfanlc said:

How do you trade up to 2 or 4 when you gave up everything to get to 5? If you get to 5 you ain't moving again. Its either 2 or 4 or 5. 

You don't. It wouldn't take everything we have to get to 5.  Here's what we have:

Two 1sts, two 2nds and two 3rds, a 4th, a 5th and a 6th this year. An entire draft next year. And an entire draft the year after that.

We aren't going to run out of ammunition, especially since going from #12 to #5 is 500 points, basically the value of the #40 pick. It'll likely cost more than that to go up, but surely not anywhere near as much as you're imagining.

Trading up twice is a very reasonable possibility, particularly as the Giants don't seem to want to drop down to #12 if they can help it.