LAST "Why Josh Allen is a Huge Bust Waiting To Happen" Thread!!

Domdab99

Why does this QB not have a funny nickname. I mean some one came up with Lolmar for Lamar yet thus guy hasn't gotten one yet. I'm not convinced you guys don't like Allen..

Josh Faillen? I dunno you can do better.

Edited by Lfod

Unfortunately for Allen there was too much time between the combine/pro day workouts and the draft. He wows people on the field but then after the buzz dies you start thinking logically about it and there's such a slim chance that he is successful that it makes him not worth the risk. I think if the draft was the day after the combine he would have gone #1

4 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Lamar Jackson: NO AGENT 

- He's inconsistent

- He's inaccurate

- Strong arm and athletic

- Can't make progressions

Maybe a WR

Josh Allen: HAS AGENT

- He's inconsistent

- He's inaccurate

- Strong arm and athletic

- Can't make progressions

Biggest upside to anyone in the draft. 

There's a reason for that 3% being a value. The way they are presented in the media is the biggest case in point I've ever seen. They have the same flaws by and large...no one is saying Allen would be smart to consider TE.

Honestly if I was forced to choose I'd have to pick Jackson as he's at the very least way more of an athlete. Way more dangerous a playmaker. And I really hope we don't end up with Jackson.

Yes yes yes yes yes!!!

Notice how incredibly "under the radar" Jackson is. I don't want to make any predictions, but seeing Allen fall to 20 something and Jackson go in the top 10 is very much what I believe should happen.

3 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

There will be so many Bills fans booing and other team’s fans laughing in Dallas.

I think I would rather have Mason Rudolph at 12 than Josh Allen at 12.

I would too.

So Peter King is quoted as saying that Allen did poorly when under pressure? But that's a very strategic way to cut and paste what's a complex and interesting point and isolate the most negative part. 

Here's a way to do the opposite. Same source material.

"When NFL teams have scouted Allen, they’ve noticed how Allen seemed to be under pressure far more than any of the other five first-round candidates ... And, as one official from a quarterback-needy team told me, how difficult it was to scout him because he had so many free rushers coming at him consistently."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/18/josh-allen-draft-cleveland-browns-mmqb-peter-king

See what I did there? Picked out the most positive part and threw away the rest, the exact opposite of what happened in the OP.

Here's the whole thing, unexpurgated. There's positive and negative, both.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"It’s been reported far and wide that Josh Allen of Wyoming could be the first overall pick, to Cleveland. The Browns like him. With ex-Bill Tyrod Taylor in the house, they seem set on whoever they draft having 2018 as an NFL redshirt year, which is probably the smart way to go for a franchise that has rushed too many passers, from Tim Couch to DeShone Kizer, into action. Allen, it would seem, would desperately need that redshirt year.

"When NFL teams have scouted Allen, they’ve noticed how Allen seemed to be under pressure far more than any of the other five first-round candidates. And they’ve noticed how poorly he responded to that pressure. It’s not just the 56.3 career completion percentage that bothers teams; it’s how he has responded to pressure. And, as one official from a quarterback-needy team told me, how difficult it was to scout him because he had so many free rushers coming at him consistently.

"So I asked analytics service Pro Football Focus, which also studies college players in preparation for the draft, to do a workup on whether Allen indeed was pressured significantly more than the other quarterbacks in the draft, and how he performed under pressure. The answers were rather startling.

"Allen under pressure: Of the 47 draft-eligible quarterbacks with 175 or more dropbacks in 2017, PFF found that Allen was the fifth-most-pressured quarterback, at 41 percent of his pass drops. Of the other top prospects, Lamar Jackson was pressured 36 percent of the time, Sam Darnold 31 percent, Josh Rosen 29 percent, Baker Mayfield 28 percent and Rudolph 23 percent. Clearly, Allen’s performance should have been affected by pressure more than the other quarterbacks.

"Allen’s performance under pressure: not good. According to Pro Football Focus numbers, you can see Allen struggles against pressure. Look at Allen versus the field in NCAA passer rating (more liberal than the NFL rating, but for comparison sake, I’m using the NCAA standard) to see the comparison: 

image?url=https%3A%2F%2Fcdn-s3.si.com%2F

"Allen is a dedicated guy scouts and coaches and GMs have grown to love in the pre-draft process. A California farm kid who grew up working the land before he ever had a thought of being a big-time quarterback, he knows the value of hard work. There are some scouts and coaches who look at Allen and see Ben Roethlisberger, a tree trunk of a guy with a big arm and athletic skills. All that is good.

"But there’s the reality of Allen’s rawness too. These numbers show it. He has difficulty taking the snap, knowing his alternatives depending on the rush he faces, and executing successfully. That’s not going to get fixed in one training camp. Whoever picks Allen, he’s going to need a strong, unwavering, patient plan to get him ready for opening day 2019. He might progress faster than that, but let’s say Cleveland picks him. The Browns aren’t winning the Super Bowl this year. Isn’t it in their best interests to tutor Allen with smart football people, to give him consistent chances in practices through the season? Training. Coaching. Learning. A few quarterbacks in our lifetime—David Carr most notably—have left football before their time because they played too much too soon. Let Allen’s college numbers at Wyoming, and football history, be a lesson to the team that chooses him to be its quarterback of the future."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/04/18/josh-allen-draft-cleveland-browns-mmqb-peter-king

----------------------------------------------------------------------

And also King said this in his weekly MMQB column this week.

"• The final word on the quarterbacks. I asked one longtime and well-connected scout about what he’s hearing regarding the order of top quarterbacks in this draft. In other words, if teams with a quarterback need could show their boards, what order would they go in? “Allen one, very slightly ahead of Darnold. Then Mayfield. But the people who like Mayfield love Mayfield.” Watch for Arizona trading up on Mayfield if he gets past the Jets and Broncos."

Edited by Thurman#1

11 hours ago, Bangarang said:

The signs are all there. People are going to get fired for putting their eggs in that basket.

Just reeks of arrogance that he'll be taken so high. He's shown nothing to justify he'll be even replacement level at the next level. Nice kid and all but I can't believe he's rated this highly.

10 hours ago, Lfod said:

Why does this QB not have a funny nickname. I mean some one came up with Lolmar for Lamar yet thus guy hasn't gotten one yet. I'm not convinced you guys don't like Allen..

Josh Faillen? I dunno you can do better.

Josh Allennanated. 

pronounced like alienated

Edited by cba fan

12 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

You're playing and you think everything is going fine. Then one thing goes wrong. And then another. And another. You try to fight back, but the harder you fight, the deeper you sink. Until you can't move... you can't breathe... because you're in over your head. Like quicksand.

U tell em Falco!

Allen has two years of college experience against the following teams in his league.  (Their 2016-2017 scheudle)  Do you think that Ohio State would be scared of this schedule?

September
Sat. 3 Los Medanos   L, 21-14 Final
Sat. 10 at Mendocino   L, 52-39 Final
Sat. 17 Redwoods   L, 26-22 Final
Sat. 24 at Hartnell *   L, 21-19 Final

October
Sat. 1 at Fresno NCFC Crossover Game L, 58-7 Final
Sat. 15 Gavilan *   L, 21-7 Final
Sat. 22 at Merced *   L, 51-0 Final
Sat. 29 Cabrillo *   W, 49-16 Final

November
Sat. 5 at West Hills Coalinga *   L, 34-7 Final
Sat. 12

Monterey

20 hours ago, Mat68 said:

I have seen Allen make every NFL throw needed.  At his best Allen already does everything you need from a Qb in the NFL.  In College teams usually win by out athleting the other team.  Wyoming did not have the better roster in any game they played in 2017.  He turned around a perenial buttom feeder school and won the most games in 2 years then the school has had in 30 years.  I watch him and I see young Farve.  He could be a bust.  So could any of them.  Give me the guy with the most abilty.  I feel working on his footwork sures up some of his mis fires, and working in a modern offense will grant him the easy completions he went without in college.  As a Bills fan, as much as Allen intrigues me personally, I think Rosen should be the guy because he seems the most ready now.  Outside of Rosen they all have a fair level of molding and coaching.

What was his QB rating against top 50 teams?  

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Allen has two years of college experience against the following teams in his league.  (Their 2016-2017 scheudle)  Do you think that Ohio State would be scared of this schedule?

September
Sat. 3 Los Medanos   L, 21-14 Final
Sat. 10 at Mendocino   L, 52-39 Final
Sat. 17 Redwoods   L, 26-22 Final
Sat. 24 at Hartnell *   L, 21-19 Final

October
Sat. 1 at Fresno NCFC Crossover Game L, 58-7 Final
Sat. 15 Gavilan *   L, 21-7 Final
Sat. 22 at Merced *   L, 51-0 Final
Sat. 29 Cabrillo *   W, 49-16 Final

November
Sat. 5 at West Hills Coalinga *   L, 34-7 Final
Sat. 12

Monterey

What was his QB rating against top 50 teams?  

Idk what any of this is or means.  

2 hours ago, Domdab99 said:

Given how hard it is to find a Franchise QB in the NFL, it's unfathomable to me how anyone could think that a mediocre QB from the Mountain West Conference has what it takes to make it as an elite player in the NFL. 

22 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Why do NFL teams get so caught up in QBs who can throw it far? How often do you really bomb it each game? 1-2 times? The top 3 QBS the last decade are not athletic at all. Give me the accurate passer 10/10 times. 

This is why I like Luke Falk so much, I see him being a slightly better version on Cousins.

Please stay away from Jackson and Allen at all costs if you like your GM job.