Is the NFL draft the most overhyped/overrated event in sports history?

njbuff

19 hours ago, njbuff said:

A lot of people I know who are sports fans think it is a ridiculous event.

i wanna keep the explanation in this thread short, cause I can go a million different ways.

What do you folks think about the actual event that is the NFL draft?

The draft is freaking AWESOME 

The draft is popular because of the following:

Despite TV ratings - the NFL is popular, especially due to Fantasy Football

Because of the contract structures of the NFL with the salary cap - the draft is vital to a teams success - unlike other leagues where you can pay a "tax" to go over the cap.

College football fans also enjoy seeing their team's athletes succeed and watch for that purpose as well.

The timing of it - if the NBA Finals were on during the same time, or some other big sporting event, it would be less popular, but really it is the sports news - moreso than round 1 of the NBA playoffs and early season MLB games.  If some NBA favorite is facing elimination on Thursday - that could change some viewing habits, but that wouldn't reduce the hype already surrounding this.

6 minutes ago, MTBill said:

The draft is popular because of the following:

Despite TV ratings - the NFL is popular, especially due to Fantasy Football

Because of the contract structures of the NFL with the salary cap - the draft is vital to a teams success - unlike other leagues where you can pay a "tax" to go over the cap.

College football fans also enjoy seeing their team's athletes succeed and watch for that purpose as well.

The timing of it - if the NBA Finals were on during the same time, or some other big sporting event, it would be less popular, but really it is the sports news - moreso than round 1 of the NBA playoffs and early season MLB games.  If some NBA favorite is facing elimination on Thursday - that could change some viewing habits, but that wouldn't reduce the hype already surrounding this.

HOPE. We all crave hope! 

• Like (+1) 1

Love the draft.  Perfect combination of football during a dry spell, boundless hope and optimism, the human drama of kids making good on their life's ambition.  So much better now that they don't tip the picks (unless you seek out spoilers).  A++ would watch again.

2 minutes ago, akm0404 said:

Love the draft.  Perfect combination of football during a dry spell, boundless hope and optimism, the human drama of kids making good on their life's ambition.  So much better now that they don't tip the picks (unless you seek out spoilers).  A++ would watch again.

Dry spell?  March madness just ended amd nba playoffs are going on along with MLB and soon NHL playoffs.  Ha.  Just messin with ya.  Human drama was on high last year with the gas mask bong.  Hole-E!

No. Love this. Christmas in April

19 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

The Draft is absolutely one of the worst things in sports. I can't wait until this team finds a QB so I can stop caring about it every October through April.

Sure, it is fine to watch the first round or two. Now especially since they sped it up, it used to be absolutely dreadful when the clock was 15 mins for every pick. 

The incessant talk, and the mock drafts where analysts say, "this isn't what I would do, but it's what I think they will do" Only to be wrong 75% of the time. How about that they say it's not what they'd do, and what they think others will do, and they still suck at their job. The planted stories, all of it is just too much. Nothing else in sports compares. Once this team gets good again, I can't wait to completely check out on the draft until like the week before. Perhaps this year has been more fatiguing than any other year because we all started looking at it as soon as the Bills traded back last year. The draft wasn't even completed and you had professionals speculating what the Bills are going to do in this draft. 

It's awful.

Okay, okay... I'll get off your lawn.

...the youngins' don't remember when this bad boy was SEVENTEEN rounds in the late 60's and early 70's....ANY idea how many kids were conceived during rounds 8-17???....either that or watch that can of Sherwin Williams can dry on your porch...pick your poison.............or "pleasure"...LOL.............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

Over-hyped and over-rated things:

MLB: Spring Training

NHL: Outdoor games

NBA: Dunk Contest

College Basketball: Brackets

Golf: Ryder Cup

That's not even including things like Wrestlemania, The Olympics or anything with Soccer.

But for me it's the Daytona 500. 

Being a Bills Fan is a good reason to scorn the draft. Year after year we turn our backs on qbs and blockers in order to draft running backs and defensive backs.  I mean who needs Deshaun Watson when there are corners out there?

Maybe this will be the season where the stupidity ends. We can only hope.

5 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the youngins' don't remember when this bad boy was SEVENTEEN rounds in the late 60's and early 70's....ANY idea how many kids were conceived during rounds 8-17???....either that or watch that can of Sherwin Williams can dry on your porch...pick your poison.............or "pleasure"...LOL.............

I remember them being SEVENTEEN rounds but no one in the 60's and 70's was bored.  They weren't TELEVISED until 1980.

22 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

I love the schedule release special on ESPN.  Hey, here's the top 10 games we already knew were going to be scheduled (14 of them 16 years in advance), but we're going to act like it's breaking news.

this! and there are sponsors to host that show!

My draft fatigue is at an all-time high. I'm getting to the point that I could care less who the Bills pick, just get it over with already and I'll deal.

Is there really any valid reason the NFL doesn't schedule the draft earlier except for the hype machine?