I'm starting to think the QB Class is Overhyped

Virgil

14 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

I'm in the same camp but evidently quality doesn't matter when you absolutely need a QB and don't think two new OL, a WR, DT or two, a pair of LB's or depth at TE and DB

Groupthink can drive you to decisions that aren't the best. This draft class has been hyped for a year-plus. Now every QB has some warts that can cause you to rethink their value.

1 hour ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Quarterbacks will always be overvalued, just the nature of the position 

seems more prevalent as the most important position on the field..been interesting to watch NFLN this week featuring recent first round drafts and listening to all of the drool, "can't miss" hyperbole, yada yada.......then go look up their stats only to find how many are NADA.........

Forgetting about franchise QBs, with the ultimate goal being winning the Super Bowl, go back

about 20 years, and of the 33 QBs drafted in the top 10 spots, only 2 (both Mannings) have won

the big game, so sure people are gun shy. Make the wrong pick and it can cost you your job.

Great QBs can come from anywhere, and the NFL graveyard is full of bad QBs, so we will need to wait

a few years to see how this QB class makes out

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Groupthink can drive you to decisions that aren't the best. This draft class has been hyped for a year-plus. Now every QB has some warts that can cause you to rethink their value.

It isn't the group think that concerns me. it is the fact that we have needs at two offensive line positions suddenly, great concern with the wide receiver position, and have nothing at linebacker. 

If Zay Jones would have shown any reason to believe in him and didn't have his mix up this offseason it would be different.  if we retain two starting interior offensive lineman, it would be different.  If we didn't trade away one of our best defensive lineman last year it would be different. We are a team missing a lot of talent

14 hours ago, Virgil said:

As we are less than a week out from the draft, I can't help but find it strange how calm everything seems to be from a trade front.  Not just from the Bills, but from other teams as well.  Now watch, I'll post this and trades will happen immediately, but I'm starting to think that this class is either really even from a talent level or the GM's don't think the talent is as strong as everyone is making it out to be. 

My reasons are as follows:

1 - Everyone can pretty much agree that playoff success revolves around the QB.  We had a few anomalies this past season, but it's usually how it goes.  With that being said, the only team who has really jumped the gun in positioning themselves for a QB is the Jets.  The Broncos only gave Keenum 2 years, the Cardinals can't possibly see a long term future in Bradford, and the Dolphins have made the weakest commitment to Tanehill I've seen since us with TT.  The Colts are open for business again as well as the Giants.   Yet no one is jumping up?

If you're any of these teams, how are you not scared out of your mind that another team is going to trade up to 2, 4, or 5 and take your guy? 

2 - I know that it doesn't occur every year, but unless the first pick is open for trade, we usually have a strong idea of who will go first.  In fact, some teams come right out an say it.  The fact that it could be Darnold or Allen, maybe even a non-QB, is strange to me with only 5 days left.  If they are entertaining trade offers, that also says a lot.  But what's the point of keeping it close to the vest?  If you KNOW your guy is Darnold, then why hasn't it come out like in previous drafts.

3 - We keep hearing about these blueprints for trades between us and the Giants. Unless the Giants have 1 guy they know they want and are waiting on the Browns, why has this trade not happened?  Why aren't the Bills making it happen unless they also want to see who drops?

And ultimately, that's my point.  I think that all of the top 4 guys may have the same grade, and that grade may not be that far off from the Tier 2 guys.  We hear rumors about Lamar and Mason as early as 12.  If that's true, I'm starting to think that the GM's are being patient because they just don't see the different in talent and are actually waiting on non-QB's to see where they fall.

I'm wrong a lot.  But if franchise QB's are what we know them to be, then this is strange how patient people are being.  Who knows?

The Jets and Bills have already moved up in the draft months before it starts, this isn't just desperate teams needing a QB (Don't get me wrong they desperately need QB's), I've heard about this crop of QB's coming out a year and a half ago , they're that good, now will they all pan out? That remains to be seen but there is a reason this QB class is being talked about with the 83' class.

26 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

It isn't the group think that concerns me. it is the fact that we have needs at two offensive line positions suddenly, great concern with the wide receiver position, and have nothing at linebacker. 

If Zay Jones would have shown any reason to believe in him and didn't have his mix up this offseason it would be different.  if we retain two starting interior offensive lineman, it would be different.  If we didn't trade away one of our best defensive lineman last year it would be different. We are a team missing a lot of talent

I think we can forget about the Bills being good this year. 

49 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

bbfs

there's always next next year.  :unsure:

Come on, you know I'm the biggest Bills homer going. But I can't see how this team will be good unless we find some amazing rookies and McDermott coaches his ass off.

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

When jobs and franchises are on the line, I just don’t know how anyone can afford to play chicken. You have a 3 year window or less. 

Especially when next years class seems to be really thin. 

Trades are highly based on who is available. Most teams trade for a specific player...if that player is not there they dont make the trade...

2 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

That’s certainly an opinion. 

I don’t think it’s a case of “overvalued”, they’re valued the way they should be. You have to have a good one to go anywhere. 

The only reason it seems that way is because we need one. I’m sure the pats and packers don’t think qbs are overvalued. 

Sorry I should've been more specific. when I say their overvalued I was specifically speaking to the draft part of things. I do recognize the value of having a franchise quarterback but usually in the draft most quarterbacks are valued higher than they should be

25 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Come on, you know I'm the biggest Bills homer going. But I can't see how this team will be good unless we find some amazing rookies and McDermott coaches his ass off.

i'm right there with you but we need a lot of help all over the field.  the odds of landing a QB who takes us to the edge is all we can hope for since i do not believe we have enough talent to surpass the best teams in the league.  we lost two solid starters on a line that already needed help, have an old RB that can't continue this pace and nothing at TE to be confident in whilst lacking any talent on the WR positional chart.

So many teams are looking at upgrading the QB position this year and thus the reason for all the hype. At least half of all NFL teams are taking a long hard look at this years QB class it's crazy. Especially from the teams that already have their franchise guys like Pittsburgh, New England, and the Chargers.

AFC East, NE, Buffalo, Miami and the NY Jets are all looking to draft a QB.

AFC North, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincy, Cleveland and only Cincy not looking to draft a QB...or are they?

AFC South, Jacksonville, Tenn, Indy, Houston with Andrew Luck not throwing yet only Houston, Tenn not looking.

AFC West, KC, Chargers, Oakland, Denver. 

NFC East, NY Giants, Philly, Wash, Dallas.

NFC North, Minn, Detroit, GB, Chicago.

NFC South, NO, Carolina, Atlanta, TB.

NFC West, Rams, Seattle, Arizona, SF. I know crazy right? The Seahawks are looking. 

That's 15 teams looking at 6 QBs. 

22 minutes ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Sorry I should've been more specific. when I say their overvalued I was specifically speaking to the draft part of things. I do recognize the value of having a franchise quarterback but usually in the draft most quarterbacks are valued higher than they should be

That’s fair. 

4 hours ago, Finkle Is Einhorn said:

Quarterbacks will always be overvalued, just the nature of the position 

Overhyped? Yes. Overvalued? Never. You cannot overvalue the QB position. 

7 hours ago, stuvian said:

Allen may not be ready to start for 4 years

Rodgers didn't start until year 4.

Granted he also sat behind Favre, so situation obviously not the same.

Similar to Steve Young, who started early in TB and was a complete shitshow, then was Montana's backup.

Again different situation, but it just illiterates the point of how much expectations changed.

We want a guy chucking it day one, and aren't willing to let a guy develop.

6 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Rodgers didn't start until year 4.

Granted he also sat behind Favre, so situation obviously not the same.

Similar to Steve Young, who started early in TB and was a complete shitshow, then was Montana's backup.

Again different situation, but it just illiterates the point of how much expectations changed.

We want a guy chucking it day one, and aren't willing to let a guy develop.

Nailed it.  Not just an issue for the Bills but the league in general.

• Like (+1) 1