Who was the best QB from the 2004 Class?

Roethlisberger has the rings and the stats, so he has to be the clear #1.

You can take your pick between Rivers and Manning. Rivers does have better stats but he has had a lot better offensive talent around him than people are giving credit for. He should probably have done better than he has. On the other hand, Manning’s teams won those SBs in large part due to their defense and he’s never had the regular season success that Rivers has. So it’s personal preference, IMO.

I would go with Manning. My thinking is that at least I know I can win a Super Bowl with him at QB because he’s done it. With Rivers it’s just speculation.

20 minutes ago, BillsGuru4 said:

Giants didn’t even belong in the playoffs when they won their sb’s with eli. The qb always gets the mvp unless someone else does something miraculous 

It's not even about MVP. It's about your last posession, you need your QB to lead his team on a TD drive to win the Super Bowl and he does it. Twice. Vs the shining star dynasty franchise of the league . What else do you want to measure your QB by ? Those guys get busts in the HOF. 

1 hour ago, Boatdrinks said:

I'd go 

Eli

Ben 

Rivers 

I put Eli at the top for his two SB wins vs the evil empire. He had to lead his team on a final drive TD both times. That cements him as #1 for me. I'd say Roethlisberger is a very close second. He's had more tries vs the Pats than Eli, but I think he's failed most every time. Have to judge him vs the era's best.  Rivers a distant 3rd. 

This. Rivers is a total post season dud

40 minutes ago, row_33 said:

cause the 2 SBs were total horseshit luck?

You can call once lucky, twice is a trend. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

47 minutes ago, TheElectricCompany said:

Ben - Eli - Rivers

Rivers never put it all together. He had HOF weapons out there and still couldn't  sniff a Super Bowl. 

Agreed Rivers played with Thomlinson and Gates and still struggled making/producing in the playoffs. Eli was clutch in the Super Bowls no doubt but to me Big Ben was the better QB but it could be argued he played a weaker division than Eli but if I'm a GM my QB of preference would be Ben, Eli and Rivers so that's how I rank them. 

1 hour ago, section122 said:

A post earlier today got me thinking about the top 3 guys from that class.  They have each had different types of successes but I think ultimately all of them would be considered successful "franchise QBs".  Here are the career stats.  Who do you think has been the better QB?

Eli Manning - 2 Super Bowls, 59.8% Completions, 51,686 yards, 6.99 ypa, 339 tds, 228 ints, career .527 winning %, 26 4th quarter comebacks 

Ben Roethlisberger - 2 Super Bowls, 64.1% completions, 51,065 yards, 7.87 ypa, 329 tds, 174 ints, .676 winning %, 29 4th quarter comebacks

Philip Rivers - 0 Super Bowls, 64.2% completions, 50,348 yards, 7.76 ypa, 342 tds, 166 ints, .547 winning %, 23 4th quarter comebacks

Numbers were a lot closer than I thought they would be even when I started this thread.  Personal opinion though is this is a 2 horse race.  Eli completing less than 7 ypa, 60% completions, and 50 more ints than the other 2 rules him out.  If he didn't have those SB wins he wouldn't be in any HOF conversations.  I can't really find a decent way to pick between Big Ben and Rivers though.  Obviously there is the team success but I think it is unfair to compare Spanos to Rooneys.  Outside of the brief Schottenheimmer years (who had his own well documented playoff struggles) Rivers hasn't had the team talent Big Ben has.  

Gun to my head I go Big Ben but I can't really come up with a compelling reason to disagree with someone choosing Rivers.  Who do you pick?

Ben by a mile.

Ben

Rivers

Eli

Ben was an easy top choice for me. Rivers and Eli were very close. Gave it to the guy who I thought was more consistent over the course of his career. Eli has had great moments but has also looked absolutely brutal for long stretches too. I don't remember Rivers ever having a long run of poor play.

1 hour ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Ben

Rivers

Eli

I don't hate this ranking buuuuuuuuut

Ask me who I want as my QB for a 16 game season for 10+ years and I take Rivers over Eli.  Ask me who I want QBing a must win game, or with 2 minutes left in the Superbowl and I take Eli over Rivers.

I say that as a Rivers fan.  The fact he didn't get further in 08-09 is an indictment on him, sadly.  I think Tyrod takes those Chargers teams to the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, jmc12290 said:

I don't hate this ranking buuuuuuuuut

Ask me who I want as my QB for a 16 game season for 10+ years and I take Rivers over Eli.  Ask me who I want QBing a must win game, or with 2 minutes left in the Superbowl and I take Eli over Rivers.

I say that as a Rivers fan.  The fact he didn't get further in 08-09 is an indictment on him, sadly.  I think Tyrod takes those Chargers teams to the SB.

I think that’s fair. 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

cause the 2 SBs were total horseshit luck?

Right. Winning 2 Super Bowls and 2 super bowl mvp awards vs the greatest QB in NFL history. “Horseshit luck.”  That’s what it’ll say under his face in Canton. 

Edited by bobobonators