Elway Open to a Deal for the #5 Pick; Broncos' Board Finalized Later Today

39 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Then you still get one of the big four at pick number five.

The bills didn't put their hair in a ponytail to go home alone. They moved to up 12 for a reason, they have been heavily discussed in moving up.

If you get locked out at five there is, again as aforementioned you'll still get one of the big four.

I understand the ideology behind the fear of getting stuck at five, however, much like the Jets trading to three above us, you cant continuously allow teams to leapfrog you and shut you out.

Moreover, if the Giants do pass on a QB, as the other poster described above, the Denver 5th overall pricetag then skyrockets. The Giants also stand to reason that at five they can still get one of Chubb, or Barkley, or Nelson, or heck, maybe the QB that trickles down could be the guy they want and snatch him up. Either way two to five is not a bad move for the giants by any stretch.

You need to be ahead of the game here. Go get the fifth overall.

I agree that one or two of the big four will probably be there at pick 5.  The question is, how many of the big four QBs do the Bills feel good about?  If the Bills would be happy with any of the four, then I agree with you, a trade up to 5 makes sense.  If McBeane only likes one or two of them, then what if they are both gone by pick 3?  That's my argument.  I would not be happy to trade up to draft Chubb or Barkley.  If we are going to trade up it needs to be for a QB.  

If we could all see the Bills' draft board and see how they rank the big four QBs, there would be no argument between us.  I suspect they are not sold on all four of them.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 4

3 hours ago, Tyrod's friend said:

What, exactly, are the Cardinals using as bait to get someone to step away from the #2 pick in the draft? Or Miami, or the Patriots? 

When we were at 21 and 22, it was said we didn't have the ammo to get inside the top 5. And that was with multiple 2s and multiple 3s. Then we moved a starting LT and other teams with less have some way to get inside the 5? I really, really doubt it. 

But I agree. By the time Elway makes the decision to trade #5, our wings will be creating indigestion. 

You're statement only means so much without context.  Every trade proposal under the sun was made for the Bills to move up on this board.  Are you criticizing a move up to 5,4,3,2, or 1st overall as some have suggested?  I don't think that somebody said that the Bills could not move up if they offered at a minimum of three firsts, three seconds, and maybe some pocket change picks.  By the way the Pats have two 1st's, two 2nd's, and a third this year plus their full compliment for 2019 which contains a first.  In addition Belichick is supposed to be the master of turning chicken crap into chicken salad so by that logic he could get by without those picks and sign more of our castoffs.  Why can't Miami open the bidding with their 1st & 2nd picks for 2018 along with their 1st and 2nd picks for 2019 with perhaps a player to sweeten the deal?   Again, if the argument here is that the top 4 QB's are special and the Bills should move up at a steep cost then why would the other teams not have a similar view?  I get that there can be some variation in the evaluation process but the if those QB's are franchise players as some here suggest (not me)   then why would other teams turn up their noses at them?

3 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

I agree that one or two of the big four will probably be there at pick 5.  The question is, how many of the big four QBs do the Bills feel good about?  If the Bills would be happy with any of the four, then I agree with you, a trade up to 5 makes sense.  If McBeane only likes one or two of them, then what if they are both gone by pick 3?  That's my argument.  I would not be happy to trade up to draft Chubb or Barkley.  If we are going to trade up it needs to be for a QB.  

If we could all see the Bills' draft board and see how they rank the big four QBs, there would be no argument between us.  I suspect they are not sold on all four of them.

Believe me, I know what you are driving at. If they really only want Darnold or Mayfield and they are both gone, then you are sitting at five feeling like you missed out and now are stuck...

However, this class is vastly different as each QB has their own traits that make them a blue chip. 

For me it would be hard to discount any particular one as a choice barring their personality and character.

1 minute ago, BillsFan17 said:

Believe me, I know what you are driving at. If they really only want Darnold or Mayfield and they are both gone, then you are sitting at five feeling like you missed out and now are stuck...

However, this class is vastly different as each QB has their own traits that make them a blue chip. 

For me it would be hard to discount any particular one as a choice barring their personality and character.

Each QB has their own traits that make them a blue chip?  That might be a perception held by many here but that most likely is not the case in any given NFL team FO.  I doubt that these guys are viewed as completely interchangeable with one another.  If they were there would be no logic in trading any higher than up to pick 4.

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to Elway Open to a Deal for the #5 Pick; Broncos' Board Finalized Later Today
30 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I think I'm in the minority here on TBD in that I don't have a favorite QB prospect.  I honestly don't watch enough college football or know enough about quarterback development to have an informed opinion on who the best QB is.  I just hope the Bills get their man and if that means "selling the farm" to move up, or sitting at 12 and grabbing a Rudolph or Jackson, I'll be just as happy.  At the end of the day, I'm trusting Beane and McDermott to do the right thing.

I'll root for whoever they draft.   

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Captain Murica said:

In all seriousness would anyone here have an issue with the Bills pulling the trigger now and making the jump to 5 without knowing who will be there? 

I'll hang up and listen. 

I would be more than fine with it. We could sit there and take whichever qbs Cleveland and NY doesn't take, or we could give the Giants a better reason to trade back with us if we want to get ahead of the Jets. Best case scenario, we get our guy for less than the price of #2. Worst case, we trade up a third time and get our guy. 

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Cleveland is one for sure and the NYJ I'll guess. 

I'd think Denver might be one of them and that's why they are willing to move out...

2 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Not sure but I wonder if it’s giants actually 

I sure as heck hope, having grown up on Long Island got 27 years, my Giants fans friends would never let me live it down if they snagged Rosen.

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

I'd think Denver might be one of them and that's why they are willing to move out...

I sure as heck hope, having grown up on Long Island got 27 years, my Giants fans friends would never let me live it down if they snagged Rosen.

Could very well be. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RochesterRob said:

You're statement only means so much without context.  Every trade proposal under the sun was made for the Bills to move up on this board.  Are you criticizing a move up to 5,4,3,2, or 1st overall as some have suggested?  I don't think that somebody said that the Bills could not move up if they offered at a minimum of three firsts, three seconds, and maybe some pocket change picks.  By the way the Pats have two 1st's, two 2nd's, and a third this year plus their full compliment for 2019 which contains a first.  In addition Belichick is supposed to be the master of turning chicken crap into chicken salad so by that logic he could get by without those picks and sign more of our castoffs.  Why can't Miami open the bidding with their 1st & 2nd picks for 2018 along with their 1st and 2nd picks for 2019 with perhaps a player to sweeten the deal?   Again, if the argument here is that the top 4 QB's are special and the Bills should move up at a steep cost then why would the other teams not have a similar view?  I get that there can be some variation in the evaluation process but the if those QB's are franchise players as some here suggest (not me)   then why would other teams turn up their noses at them?

Why would other teams turn up their nose? It's a good enough point. If Rosen was good enough for us why is he less important to another team. Let's start with the premise that next year's 1st Rd = this year's 2nd Rd. And obviously we have what they have; a full compliment of 2019 picks (on top of what we have this year - which is more than what any other team has). 

In the case of the Patriots they sort of have a guy at QB. :) But seriously I'm pretty sure the Pats haven't made a huge move up since they jumped to 5 overall to get Seymour. And although the Pats have the picks, they are lower all along the way to what the Bills have. Finally, the Patriots have real, real roster problems that make the Bills issues seem tame.

Again, the Dolphins have a QB, and they even have a guy behind the guy. You might conjecture that they want to replace him but a team moving veritably an entire draft to get a QB to replace a starter that's under control ... do you remember it ever happening? I don't. 

In both cases the reason to me is that you can build a case for them needing a a QB, it isn't pressing on the level of Buffalo's need. You are suggesting a radical reaction to a less than radical need. And in order to do it, they need to get into a pissing contest with a team that is a) desperate and b) better equipped than they are to get that need covered.
Go the distance and put yourself in their shoes. Are you denuding 2018 and probably 2019 in order to hopefully replace a guy that can play right now? In my mind, it's never happened. 
Cheers.
Just a week away.