Yay! We're not the worst! (According to Agents)

Agent poll results in USA Today. Was glad to see the Bills not on the worst 5 list. Wonder if that would have been different if Eugene Parker was still around to vote. Kinda surprised to see Elway on the least trusted list.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/04/19/nfl-agent-poll-bruce-allen-redskins-bill-belichick-demaurice-smith/528741002/

SloDaI5.png

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Haha (+1) 1

"Regarding the collective bargaining agreement...

Worst thing: 

1.  Rookie wage scale"

Of course the agents think that:rolleyes:

They drove up the price on those rookie contracts for years until it got out of hand and something like this needed to be instituted.  The only people you have to blame for that is yourselves, agents!

• Like (+1) 6

2 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Worst thing: 

1.  Rookie wage scale"

They drove up the price on those rookie contracts for years until it got out of hand and something like this needed to be instituted.  The only people you have to blame for that is yourselves, agents!

Agents are scumbags and I hate what they did to this league in the early 00s.

Harsh results for Maurice Smith. I wonder if that represents the players' opinions, or if the Agents are just mad he gave in to so much in the CBA?

Edited by DrDawkinstein

4 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Worst thing: 

1.  Rookie wage scale"

I was going to say the exact thing. Completely obvious that that's on them. It feels like the NFL is headed for an overall re-set before long.... We're looking at these guaranteed contracts, but the question is, in three years is there going to be enough of these that have blown up on the teams that the new CBA will include language limiting the % of guaranteed money? 

The new CBA will be interesting and I don't feel crazy in saying that football as we know it may hinge on that... 

Also, Any surprise that Bruce Allen is #1 on the "not trusted" list? 

7 minutes ago, berg1029 said:

Worst thing: 

1.  Rookie wage scale"

I can see both sides of this one...

The rookie wage scale has been quite the issue. I was very for it when it was instituted, as vets were being underpaid or cut so teams could sign rookies. I also attribute the increase in trading to the wage scale, since many teams wouldn't trade into the top 5 because they could not afford the pick.

Rookie wage scale solved these problems, but caused others. Now the pendulum has swung back and FA's are massively overpaid causing many of the same problems the huge rookie contracts did. I'm not even sure what to do about it, but it does create a league where players can't wait to leave their teams and hit FA, because if you are even slightly above average at your position you are about to be the highest paid ever at the position.

There needs to be a system that doesn't overpay rookies, but also does not incentivize team switching. The biggest contracts in the league should not be just because you got drafted early or fled your team.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Shotgunner said:

I can see both sides of this one...

The rookie wage scale has been quite the issue. I was very for it when it was instituted, as vets were being underpaid or cut so teams could sign rookies. I also attribute the increase in trading to the wage scale, since many teams wouldn't trade into the top 5 because they could not afford the pick.

Rookie wage scale solved these problems, but caused others. Now the pendulum has swung back and FA's are massively overpaid causing many of the same problems the huge rookie contracts did. I'm not even sure what to do about it, but it does create a league where players can't wait to leave their teams and hit FA, because if you are even slightly above average at your position you are about to be the highest paid ever at the position.

There needs to be a system that doesn't overpay rookies, but also does not incentivize team switching. The biggest contracts in the league should not be just because you got drafted early or fled your team.

The NBA does something like this with Bird's rights.  The player's team can offer an extra year, bigger raise, and go over the salary cap in order to re-sign their own players.  It does have some issues but most draftees stick with their original teams for 7 years.  That's a career for a majority of NFLers.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

I wonder what they mean by Most/Least Prepared for Negotiations? Anyone have any info on what that would be?

My best guess would be having studied different player comparables and data points/statistics, contract details, injury history, scheme fits, cap implications, possible on and off field issues... stuff like that. 

Here's an interesting read on some of the stuff that goes into contract negotiations (it's an inside look at Sherman's deal with the 49ers) -

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/12/richard-sherman-san-francisco-49ers-john-lynch-mmqb-peter-king

Edited by BillsFan4

Really interesting stuff. I wonder how Beane and McDermott will be viewed after a couple of years.

I know Pegula has been willing to Shell out big money in signing bonuses, so the players have liked that.

But it also seems like there has been problems with Incognito and Wood and their retirements.

Edited by MJS

1:  I'm glad to see the Bills not on there.  I would expect them to rate pretty poorly pre-Pegula.  Erasing that stigma is/was an important step to restoring credibility.  I think the way the handled McCoy was the big turn in their favor.  They also didn't monkey around with Watkins around his option year, franchising, etc.  They were up-front and instead of holding him up, they released him into the wild, which I am sure he and his agent appreciate.

2: Reading those answers has me fearing the upcoming CBA expiration after 2021.  The rookie wage scale needs to stay IMO.  I also see their point on mid-level players getting pushed off to the side for cheaper rookies.  The disciplinary issue is going to come to a head, and there may be cracks in the owners' resolve due to sour grapes with Kraft and Jones.

With that said, for the NFLPA to truly take a stand is very very difficult due to the number of players, disrepancy in wages, and brevity of careers.  An extended strike/lockout would hurt more NFL players than any other sport.  If it were possible to get them on a strong, united front, this leadership wont/cannot come close.

28 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I wonder what they mean by Most/Least Prepared for Negotiations? Anyone have any info on what that would be?

Not sure either but I have to imagine from seeing the people at the list it comes down to the fact that these guys are not just winging it. Heavy reliance on data to determine fit and value and ego is kept out of it. I think if you give it a couple more years we'll be on this list with Beane and McD..

1 hour ago, berg1029 said:

Worst thing: 

1.  Rookie wage scale"

And since many get paid a % of the contract they negotiate that used to be lots of new free money for them.

• Like (+1) 1