357 MPH Train

Fadingpain

11 hours ago, Rob's House said:

I assume if it were economically viable it would exist, but I'd think a high-speed rail that runs from Fredricksburg to Boston through DC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, and New York could make sense, and it might clear up the traffic on 95.

How many stops do they wind up making during that stretch, just one for each city?  I don't have much train riding experience, but I've always wonder how useful these fast trains can be if they have to make too many stops.

17 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

Watch at 1:24 as this sucker zips under the overpass.  

God forbid we would have something like this in America.

I work for Alstom here in New York I got a nice hat to celebrate the 597mph.

We are just starting to build the new AMTRAK trains to replace the ACELA on the north east corridor.

11 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

The Northeast Corridor route is the only real profitable run on Amtrak.  Making it a faster will not increase ridership.  

In general, there fewer huge wastes of taxpayer money than high speed rail (such as this train) in the US.  Just think of the massive amount of money proposed to get people fromLA to SF on such a train.  It's silly, when you think about it.  couple hundred people a day?  Maybe a few thousand?  It's a sad joke.

They have talked about a HS train from Buffalo to Albany for years, they never show any estimated rider numbers or estimated fares. Previously mentioned, how fast can it go when it stops at every town that begs for a station

16 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

The French normally contract their trains out to the Germans to operate, to keep them on time.

Not sure about that, but Siemens and Alstom have merged.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-26/siemens-to-merge-rail-operations-with-french-rival-alstom

Edited by Gary M

12 minutes ago, Gary M said:

I work for Alstom here in New York I got a nice hat to celebrate the 597mph.

We are just starting to build the new AMTRAK trains to replace the ACELA on the north east corridor.

They have talked about a HS train from Buffalo to Albany for years, they never show any estimated rider numbers or estimated fares. Previously mentioned, how fast can it go when it stops at every town that begs for a station

Not sure about that, but Siemens and Alstom have merged.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-26/siemens-to-merge-rail-operations-with-french-rival-alstom

Exactly.  That train would be half empty every trip.  It could rarely get up to speed anyway.

47 minutes ago, shrader said:

How many stops do they wind up making during that stretch, just one for each city?  I don't have much train riding experience, but I've always wonder how useful these fast trains can be if they have to make too many stops.

That's a good point. I imagine you'd need at least 2-3 stops per city which could gum up the works a bit depending on how long it takes to stop and then get back up to speed.

11 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

We need to be working on this:

Star-Trek.jpg

Who should we test first?  :D 

I used to travel for work, mainly machine startups.   I always wished something like this was available, so at least I could sleep in my own bed at night.  But I also used to think how this would affect other industries.  It is very interesting when you start applying this to multiple things.  Most things that have anything to do with airlines collapse.  I would assume quite a bit of the trucking industry also.   Come to think of it, I don't think they ever teleported anything larger than a human.

I would think the biggest problem would be laying the new tracks and requiring overpasses or tunnels for road crossing. You could have stations just like you do airports to rival air travel. You could do this for local rail travel cause the train would never get to any worthwhile speed between stops. 

Wonder what the cost comparisons would be to run compared to air travel? Assuming these are the magnetic trains where they run on basically electrical magnets compared to airlines and jet fuel?

9 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I would think the biggest problem would be laying the new tracks and requiring overpasses or tunnels for road crossing. You could have stations just like you do airports to rival air travel. You could do this for local rail travel cause the train would never get to any worthwhile speed between stops. 

Wonder what the cost comparisons would be to run compared to air travel? Assuming these are the magnetic trains where they run on basically electrical magnets compared to airlines and jet fuel?

Those are possibly the biggest technical problems but they pail in comparison to the biggest problem.

On April 12, 2018 at 8:29 PM, Greybeard said:

I used to travel for work, mainly machine startups.   I always wished something like this was available, so at least I could sleep in my own bed at night.  But I also used to think how this would affect other industries.  It is very interesting when you start applying this to multiple things.  Most things that have anything to do with airlines collapse.  I would assume quite a bit of the trucking industry also.   Come to think of it, I don't think they ever teleported anything larger than a human.

That thing is cool in a TV show but when they tried it on Earth some dude turned into a giant bug.