Where is Spring?

Ice bowl 67

It's a possibility we will get dumped on again this weekend with another 5 to 8 inches of snow. This is the worst April I can remember. Has it been cooler than normal where you guys live too? You guys remember any other cold springs like this one?

45 minutes ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

It's a possibility we will get dumped on again this weekend with another 5 to 8 inches of snow. This is the worst April I can remember. Has it been cooler than normal where you guys live too? You guys remember any other cold springs like this one?

It's been a little cooler and a little rainier but nothing too extreme.

I remember as a teen going up the cottage outside of Parry Sound, Ont(couple hundred miles north of Toronto) actually getting some snowflakes on May 24 weekend. Crazy

It's definitely cooler than normal, but as someone like myself who works outside can tell you, April can be the nastiest month. 65 and sunny one day, and 40 and rain the next. I've been working outside for 18 years, I can't remember a single April (though I'm sure theirs at least one) where we didn't get some form of snow. April Imo is the worst month of the year. The weather is bi polar. At least in dec/jan/Feb the weather is consistent 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

It's definitely cooler than normal, but as someone like myself who works outside can tell you, April can be the nastiest month. 65 and sunny one day, and 40 and rain the next. I've been working outside for 18 years, I can't remember a single April (though I'm sure theirs at least one) where we didn't get some form of snow. April Imo is the worst month of the year. The weather is bi polar. At least in dec/jan/Feb the weather is consistent 

That and the fact that by April everybody is just so fatigued and beaten down from months of ****ty weather and dying for some decent weather to arrive.  I'm beginning to hate April myself more and more each year that goes by.

• Like (+1) 1

Gonna be 70s in the next couple days on this end of your Lake Michigan.  It's why the Potawotomi and other natives didn't winter up in what is present Door County... They came down here for winter and up Lake for summer 

First frost free, planting day is still MAY 15th here... That's always been the same here.  Your planting up there has to be around June 1st.

It's been cool... But mild winter... I still don't understand why people "push" the seasons.  It hasn't been really cold and we've onlt had 40" of snow.

This seems like a "normal" old fashioned winter... Are people spoiled by all the global warming crap?

Great Lakes still have 6% ice coverage.  Last two years it was under 1% by now.

https://www.glerl.noaa.gov/data/ice/

These cool temps are very beneficial... Don't "push" the season... Quite mild to say the least.

23 minutes ago, BUFFALOKIE said:

Snow and freezing rain last weekend decimated my garden.:angry:

Why are you even planting now.  Don't tell me you are in BFLo... June 1st is closer to a good date.

Are you in OK... ?? What is first frost free day there? Mid-April, end of April?

This April has been the worst we have had though in the last decade. I remember my Moms birthday is April 2nd and we have had years where it has been 65 degrees and other years where it is in the upper 20s. It was a mild winter but this spring so far has been awful. 

1 hour ago, frostbitmic said:

I think it has snowed every day so far this month in Rochester.

March was warmer than April has been and February was warmer than March.

Just be thankful it isn't the summer of 1816 in Rochester.

That year they recorded snow in every month, even August. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_Without_a_Summer

1 hour ago, Ice bowl 67 said:

This April has been the worst we have had though in the last decade. I remember my Moms birthday is April 2nd and we have had years where it has been 65 degrees and other years where it is in the upper 20s. It was a mild winter but this spring so far has been awful. 

I still contend it's a good thing.

Remember MARCH of 2012.  Almost whole month was in 70s.  Most 80s ever recorded for the month (here).

1 hour ago, /dev/null said:

Amateur, Erie had more than that on Christmas

Totally!!!

We are windward of the Lake, not alee.  Chicago only averages about 36" a year... All-time record is just under 90" in late 70's.  We came close w/just over 80" in 2014, I thought the town was gonna have a coronary!

Total amatuer hour here.  People at work were almost coming to blows when we had 9 straight days of snow in February... Remember we are still under 50" for year.  "Where we going to put snow!"  I just rolled my eyes and laughed my azz off.  You gotta be kidding me!

The millions of people don't help... But come on!

Interesting fact, Buffalo has the least amount of "pieces of snow removal equipment" per mile than say... Milwaukee, Chicago, Pittsburgh... Yet gets 3 times the snow. 

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Three seasons:

Winter, Mud Season, & August.

:D

Pretty close.  Mud season ends in early May typically.  June, July and August are usually beautiful here.  Usually not too hot/humid in the summer.  Autumn is beautiful as well.  Harsh, snowy winters and muddy/rainy springs suck.