Mason Rudolph to Have Pre-Draft Visit With the Bills

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

Your assertion of more talent for UCLA isn't factual.  Rudolph played in a junk system that inflates his numbers. Rosen is a pro style QB who is miles ahead from a mental and physical standpoint. 

So Rosen doesn't have a potential first round LT in the 2018 draft? His C is probably 3rd round. His receiver is the same player as OK State a potential 2nd day draft pick. How are those not facts? I made up his LT? His C?

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

I completely agree that's why I said QB is a problem area of the Bills and it has to get fixed.  Ideally, they also need a guy they can plug in at RG and RT too along with a WR.  But it's just too much to fix in this draft because MLB is also a problem that needs to get fixed.  QB is priority #1 and to me OL and MLB are #2.

I agree as well. The problem is that Rudolph, to me, doesn't fix anything. It just adds a guy. If you are just adding a guy, why do it in the first round? 

I think the position only gets fixed if we get one of those top guys, otherwise we are just spinning wheels. 

41 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think Seattle at #17 is a prime target for either the Pats or Bills to make a small jump and land Rudolph.

The Seahawks are in re-build mode, and dont have a 2nd or 3rd round pick. #22 and #53 should get us to #17. And I dont think the Pats would be willing to trade both 1sts just to move up 5 spots.

i don't think he gets past 15 az.....and if we wait til 22 bb will jump us in a heartbeat. then we can watch him take over after brady while our later rd. qb sits on the practice sqaud.

42 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is. 

i can't say he is. i think he very well could turn into a peyton manning passer. either way, no matter who we draft, i want to see a full year of ajm. we can afford to let a rookie develop.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he is a significant upgrade over McCarron though in fairness I have limited exposure to McCarron. I just think if McCarron starts all season based on what I have seen then the Bills will do well to go 6-10.  I absolutely want one of the top guys but I don't think not taking a Quarterback is an option, so if you can't get one of the top 3 in my mind (I don't like Allen) then you have to take Rudolph or Jackosn.  I think we have next to nothing at the position.  A dead swan would be an upgrade on Nathan Peterman.  How that man ever got drafted in the 5th round remains a mystery to me.  

Fair enough. I definitely think we draft someone, but I don't think it makes any sense to reach on this guy. 

I feel like there is a huge drop off between the top 4 (I know you don't like Allen) and Jackson and Rudolph. Then there is another drop off in that next tier. My question is, is the drop off between, say Rosen, Darnold to Rudolph bigger than the drop off between Rudolph and guys like Falk, White, Lauletta. To me it is. Rudolph is much closer to that lower tier. I just can't take Rudolph in the first. I think it is terrible process and an awful use of assets.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, CuddyDark said:

So Rosen doesn't have a potential first round LT in the 2018 draft? His C is probably 3rd round. His receiver is the same player as OK State a potential 2nd day draft pick. How are those not facts? I made up his LT? His C?

Miller is likely a day 2 pick based on what he's done after the season and his C isn't a 3rd round prospect.  Rudolph had both Washington and Ateman in the Big 12 where defense is a four letter word.  Again I say he's inflated by the system and the conference he played in.  Watching his film he shows doesn't possess 1st round talent. 

Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

i don't think he gets past 15 az.....and if we wait til 22 bb will jump us in a heartbeat. then we can watch him take over after brady while our later rd. qb sits on the practice sqaud.

What's interesting is when I look at NE's offense, I think Rudolph is a good fit for what they already run and what he comes from.  It's 5 receivers in the passing game, lots of dink and dunk routes like drags, with posts over the top, ie, high lows.  Perfect system for Rudolph based on what he's coming from.  Just my opinion.

1 minute ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Fair enough. I definitely think we draft someone, but I don't think it makes any sense to reach on this guy. 

I feel like there is a huge drop off between the top 4 (I know you don't like Allen) and Jackson and Rudolph. Then there is another drop off in that next tier. My question is, is the drop off between, say Rosen, Darnold to Rudolph bigger than the drop off between Rudolph and guys like Falk, White, Lauletta. To me it isn't. Rudolph is much closer to that lower tier. I just can't take Rudolph in the first. I think it is terrible process and an awful use of assets.  

If we end up with Allen I will think that is better than not having taken a QB even though I really am not convinced by him.  

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I feel like there is a huge drop off between the top 4 (I know you don't like Allen) and Jackson and Rudolph. Then there is another drop off in that next tier. My question is, is the drop off between, say Rosen, Darnold to Rudolph bigger than the drop off between Rudolph and guys like Falk, White, Lauletta. To me it isn't. Rudolph is much closer to that lower tier. I just can't take Rudolph in the first. I think it is terrible process and an awful use of assets.  

To me there is a demarcation between Rosen, Darnold and Mayfield and the next tier. All these guys need some development and they are no exception. But, the next tier require a lot more development (Allen, Mayfield, Rudoplh, Lauletta). However, If I'm spending a first round pick its on Allen because of the potential rewards, and only if the other 3 are gone. Otherwise I'm waiting for Day 2.

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Miller is likely a day 2 pick based on what he's done after the season and his C isn't a 3rd round prospect.  Rudolph had both Washington and Ateman in the Big 12 where defense is a four letter word.  Again he's inflated by the system and the conference he played in.  Watching his film he shows doesn't possess 1st round talent. 

To be fair to Rudolph though Mahomes played in that same conference last year.  Of course Rudolph doesn't have Mahomes' arm talent but they both played in the same conference and while we only have one NFL game of Mahomes and need a larger sample size, based on that first NFL  game it doesn't appear that being in the Big 12 hurt Mahomes, who also lit up that conference from a similar style offense and great weapons at WR.

Just to be clear I'm not making a case to draft Rudolph but I don't think some of the arguments about conference and talent are marks of certainty against him.  At best they are marks of probability against him.

Edited by NewEraBills

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Miller is likely a day 2 pick based on what he's done after the season and his C isn't a 3rd round prospect.  Rudolph had both Washington and Ateman in the Big 12 where defense is a four letter word.  Again he's inflated by the system and the conference he played in.  Watching his film he shows doesn't possess 1st round talent. 

Only issue for me is his value. I don't believe Rosen is worthy of our entire draft because he isn't an elite Andrew Luck type player. Rosen needs a great roster or he will struggle. I also believe he'll be injured and miss games every season he plays. I don't mind Rosen if we could get him at 7-10 for 12 and a 2nd or 3rd round pick. I just don't think he's the cure-all like Bills fans say he is. He's a bit overrated because we need a QB. They're all overrated for me though. Rosen, Darnold, Allen, Mayfield. I'd draft them but not for my entire draft and not before 6 or 7.

Edited by CuddyDark

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I disagree I think there is plenty of good on his tape.  Accuracy in the intermediate range is 2nd only to Rosen in this class in my opinion.  Does he have some transition to pro-style offenses, including footwork under centre to work on?  Sure.  I think the kid will have a decent career though.  

I agree with this - I think he could be a good starting NFL QB that has a team with sufficient talent always in the playoff mix.  I don't think he is going to be able to carry an under-talented team on his shoulders to the championship, but there are *very* few QBs in the history of the NFL that could really do it.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I agree with this - I think he could be a good starting NFL QB that has a team with sufficient talent always in the playoff mix.  I don't think he is going to be able to carry an under-talented team on his shoulders to the championship, but there are *very* few QBs in the history of the NFL that could really do it.

Honestly, I don't see anyone in the modern ear that HAS done that.  QBs, even the elite ones always have good talent around them.  It's not like Brady has chumps.  They don't have elite WRs because their system doesn't need them.  But they do have an Elite TE as their system relies on it and their OL has above average linemen who can pass protect.  And then the X factor is the system they run maximizes what they have.  Brees missed the playoffs several years because he didn't have an elite team around him, same for Rivers.  Ultimately, while QB is a very valuable position, it takes a team to win it all.

Edited by NewEraBills

Wait until Beane trades up a few to guarantee they get him......  A team like Arizona is going to want him and will know (they all know who likes who) the Bills have an eye on him, and will try to jump up in front of them.  New England is a possibility too.  I think these teams like Rudolph much more than people on here do.  Same thing as Josh Allen.  Everyone on here hates him, but he'll likely go top 10, maybe even #1.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, NewEraBills said:

To be fair to Rudolph though Mahomes played in that same conference last year.  Of course Rudolph doesn't have Mahomes' arm talent but they both played in the same conference and while we only have one NFL game of Mahomes and need a larger sample size, based on that first NFL  game it doesn't appear that being in the Big 12 hurt Mahomes, who also lit up that conference from a similar style offense and great weapons at WR.

Just to be clear I'm not making a case to draft Rudolph but I don't think some of the arguments about conference and talent are marks of certainty against him.  At best they are marks of probability against him.

Mayfield also played in that conference and the Pac10 where Darnold and Rosen played is not exactly known for top defenses either.

1 hour ago, billsredneck1 said:

this drives me nuts! why can't people get it through their heads that THERE WAS NEVER GOING TO BE A COMPETITION FOR THE STARTING JOB!  dalton was their franchise qb...who they were paying as such...who pretty consistently had them in the post season...and there was a coaching/management loyalty to him.

it's been broadcasted time and again by interviews with people there with close knowledge of the team.

ajm is no slouch. he is going to surprise some people and open some eyes.

115,000,000 reasons AJM wasn't going to beat out Dalton while Dalton was healthy.

Doesn't make McCarron good though.