What would you grade the 2017 draft?

I know these guys were rookies and jury is still out so pls don't bash me on my opinion, I'd like to know what TBD thinks in general. But how do you think FO did one year out from the 2017 draft?

Trading down for Tre White? Perfect pick right thurr. 

I fear Zay is a bust

Dion Dawkins was another great pick. Great value really. Anybody know the learning curve for O linemen in the NFL? He was a decent starter as a rookie so I'd imagine he could be a rock on the line for a long time. But if O linemen come come in NFL ready and he doesn't improve I'd just call him mediocre. But still. Great value.

Matt Milano could be a steal. I admit he might be over hyped on this board since we saw so little of him until late season. But I'll say good player, phenomenal value.

Peterman could be a solid backup, great value again there. I love his rebound from the Chargers game, just having that amnesia mentality. he played as well as any backup could otherwise and did so as a rookie quarterback. No small feat. That said he was dumb as dirt against the chargers.

I don't even know if Tanner Vallejo is on the team. Someone enlighten me. Whatever, late round pick.

I grade it A+. We didn't have many picks but all the rookies contributed. I think the late round value we got and especially Tre White alone overshadows Zay potentially being a big miss.

3 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I know these guys were rookies and jury is still out so pls don't bash me on my opinion, I'd like to know what TBD thinks in general. But how do you think FO did one year out from the 2017 draft?

I fear Zay is a bust

Dion Dawkins was another great pick. Great value really. Anybody know the learning curve for O linemen in the NFL? He was a decent starter as a rookie so I'd imagine he could be a rock on the line for a long time. But if O linemen come come in NFL ready and he doesn't improve I'd just call him mediocre. But still. Great value.

Matt Milano could be a steal. I admit he might be over hyped on this board since we saw so little of him until late season. But I'll say good player, phenomenal value.

Peterman could be a solid backup, great value again there. I love his rebound from the Chargers game, just having that amnesia mentality. he played as well as any backup could otherwise and did so as a rookie quarterback. No small feat. That said he was dumb as dirt against the chargers.

I don't even know if Tanner Vallejo is on the team. Someone enlighten me. Whatever, late round pick.

I grade it A+. We didn't have many picks but all the rookies contributed. I think the late round value we got and especially Tre White alone overshadows Zay potentially being a big miss.

Far too early to grade this draft, but if the Bills don't get their QB this year (and Watson and /or Mahomes are good) and Jones does bust (again, too early, but definitely trending badly), the '17 draft will not be remembered fondly.

Edited by par73
  • Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, par73 said:

Far to early to grade this draft, but if the Bills don't get their QB this year (and Watson and /or Mahomes are good) and Jones does bust (again, to early, but definitely trending badly), the '17 draft will not be remembered fondly.

Dude people grade drafts right as they happen.

But anyways missing Watson sucks and all, but I'm of the belief that if we drafted as well as I thought we did last year, this FO could make a killing with our draft capital. I'd love a great QB as much as the next guy but don't under appreciate the impact 2 or 3 good drafts in a row will have on a team. That's cheap talent for several years

Watson and Mahomes haven't played a half season combined.

I would grade it B+ based on Trey, Dawkins, and the 2018 Number 1.  Giving up day two picks after successfully moving down on day one prevents me from giving an A grade

Trey is a top 5-8 DB in the league and can get better. A+

Jones is a bust so far. He may turn it around but as of now he is a bust and they gave up an extra pick to move up to get him.  Terrible.  D-

Dawkins looks like he can handle the LT spot.  He was above average but not great.  B- (B+ player but slight downgrade again as they gave up an extra pick to move up)

Milano wouldn't start if they had any decent other LBs.  

Peterman will be out of football in 2 years. He lacks the arm to play at the NFL level.

• Thank you (+1) 1

No way this draft gets anything close to an A+ right now. The Bills moved up for Jones, and a hit in round one does nothing to absolve a round 2 bust if Jones doesn't pan out. Some decent value in the middle rounds makes this draft a B- for now. It will be downgraded if Jones isn't a productive WR for the Bills and if the roll of the dice by  passing on Watson/ Mahomes comes up snake eyes in 2018 draft. 

B- so far. The trade down and subsequent selection of White was the best move of any team. So far, Dawkins is average and Jones is well below average. They cancel out, so to speak. Other than that, Milano is below average, but good value. I'd like to see us get much better value in round 2 as Dawkins and Jones move forward.

Let's also keep in mind that the ENTIRE player personnel dept has been replaced since that draft. We're in uncharted territory for 2018. This draft is taking WAY too damn long to get here.

Edited by GreggTX

I don’t like to place grades on drafts, but I thought it was solid and made our team better.   Now that we know about Jones injury last year, let’s see how he does when healthy.  He was pretty bad last year, but so was Robert Woods when he had an injured hand, but had a solid year last year.

same thing with Watkins hurt vs. Watkins healthy.  If Jones can remain healthy, he did have the all time college record for receptions.

I’d give it an B+ based on Zay Jones current situation.  He brings the grade down, but could turn this into an A- if he plays well.

Tre is a star.  Dawkins looks to be our LT for the next 3+ years.  Milano looks to be a very solid WLB.  We have an additional 1st rd pick.  I haven’t completely given up on Peterman and think he can be a solid backup.  I really liked the draft class.  Just praying for Zay to live up to his potential. 

B- or maybe C+.

When your team needs a QB and has needed one for most of 20 years and you don't even draft one in the top 3 rounds of the draft and some of the QBs taken in those rounds are looking like very good prospects then you have failed. You can pickup all the CBs, OTs and LBs you want but it won't help, IMO.

Edited by vincec

If mahomes sucks, Watson sucks when he returns, and we don't get a QB/our QB this year sucks? B+

If the we get a QB who winds up better than Watson/mahomes? A+

If mahomes is great or Watson is great and we don't get a great QB this year? F!!

If you're grading the Bills against the rest of the league .... my grade is incomplete ... until the 2018 1st rounder is picked which we received from the Chiefs (though is/will be repackaged) .. that said .. .compared to past Bills drafts ... A+++++ ... granted kind of like the tallest midget award given past draft history (see below) for draft hell history  ... but a stud CB, a starting LT in 2017 ... works for me compared to below.

2016 2 Reggie Ragland
2016 3 Adolphus Washington
2016 4 Cardale Jones
2016 5 Jonathan Williams
2016 6 Kolby Listenbee
2016 6 Kevon Seymour
Year Rnd Player
2015 2 Ronald Darby
2015 3 John Miller
2015 5 Karlos Williams
2015 6 Tony Steward
2015 6 Nick O'Leary
2015 7 Dezmin Lewis
Year Rnd Player
2014 1 Sammy Watkins
2014 2 Cyrus Kouandjio
2014 3 Preston Brown
2014 4 Ross Cockrell
2014 5 Cyril Richardson
2014 7 Randell Johnson
2014 7 Seantrel Henderson
Year Rnd Player
2013 1 EJ Manuel
2013 2 Robert Woods
2013 2 Kiko Alonso
2013 3 Marquise Goodwin
2013 4 Duke Williams
2013 5 Jonathan Meeks
2013 6 Dustin Hopkins
2013 7 Chris Gragg

6 hours ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

I fear Zay is a bust

IDK I will wait till this Front Office actually has a draft.

I think Whaley's scouting department did an excellent job like they always did.  With that being said I hope it was McD that made the picks because he's still here.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

6 hours ago, par73 said:

Far too early to grade this draft, but if the Bills don't get their QB this year (and Watson and /or Mahomes are good) and Jones does bust (again, too early, but definitely trending badly), the '17 draft will not be remembered fondly.

Agree on all the above.  Plus I believe we traded two 3rd picks (one in each trade up) for Zay and Dawkins.

Fingers crossed that it ends up being a great draft.  If Mahomes and Watson are not as good as the QB we pick this year and half the draft picks turn out it will have been a good draft.

26 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

If you're grading the Bills against the rest of the league .... my grade is incomplete ... until the 2018 1st rounder is picked which we received from the Chiefs (though is/will be repackaged) .. that said .. .compared to past Bills drafts ... A+++++ ... granted kind of like the tallest midget award given past draft history (see below) for draft hell history  ... but a stud CB, a starting LT in 2017 ... works for me compared to below.

2016 2 Reggie Ragland
2016 3 Adolphus Washington
2016 4 Cardale Jones
2016 5 Jonathan Williams
2016 6 Kolby Listenbee
2016 6 Kevon Seymour
Year Rnd Player
2015 2 Ronald Darby
2015 3 John Miller
2015 5 Karlos Williams
2015 6 Tony Steward
2015 6 Nick O'Leary
2015 7 Dezmin Lewis
Year Rnd Player
2014 1 Sammy Watkins
2014 2 Cyrus Kouandjio
2014 3 Preston Brown
2014 4 Ross Cockrell
2014 5 Cyril Richardson
2014 7 Randell Johnson
2014 7 Seantrel Henderson
Year Rnd Player
2013 1 EJ Manuel
2013 2 Robert Woods
2013 2 Kiko Alonso
2013 3 Marquise Goodwin
2013 4 Duke Williams
2013 5 Jonathan Meeks
2013 6 Dustin Hopkins
2013 7 Chris Gragg

looking at this list-no wonder the Bills have struggled  2016 (after Shaq is cut/traded) will go down as another bad draft year.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, formerlyofCtown said:

IDK I will wait till this Front Office actually has a draft.

I think Whaley's scouting department did an excellent job like they always did.  With that being said I hope it was McD that made the picks because he's still here.

Yeah I was unclear on who did the drafting. I'd hope McDermott as well. But I guess we're all in the dark on that one. Maybe he was taking marching orders from beane on the side? But sounds illegal if beane was still employed by Panthers.

Hmm, ok, I'll play. 

I'll speculate that as 2nd year players they add another year of experience that they can draw on to help get to know the ropes. After they play this year they will have compiled 2 years of playing experience.  This will be helpful for the upcoming 3rd year.

I'm sorry you are disappointed no one cares about your thread, but you have 2 things working against you.

1) there is no right answer. You said so in your 1st sentence the jury is still out.... so what are we really doing here? Speculation on speculatives?

2) this years draft has QBs the Bill's might actually take and is a month away. Incase you haven't noticed - that's where people are currently using their speculating skills. What's done is done, but what will be? And a QB?? THATS where at!

Maybe start a thread about predicting where you will be or what you will be doing when you find out the Bill's traded up? Everyone is here and Twitter all the time... but ya gotta sleep and take care of the day to day.

Will your wife wake you up after you have dozed off to tell you the news? Will you stumble into the bathroom at 4am and see the news on your phone? Will you be at some event and word starts spreading? Will you be at a parent teacher conference and feel ur phone blowing up in your pocket? I think we pay sssooo much attn, but if it happens it'll be when it's not expected and the ol mind is on something else. 

Edited by gobills1212

23 minutes ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

Yeah I was unclear on who did the drafting. I'd hope McDermott as well. But I guess we're all in the dark on that one. Maybe he was taking marching orders from beane on the side? But sounds illegal if beane was still employed by Panthers.

We did allegedlytake some guys Carolina wanted and traded in front of them if I remember correctly.