Moving up to #2 = No Playoffs for the next three years

11 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

And yeah really if you want to claim it as a fact that I present false statements as fact then support your claim or be a hypocrite. 

I'll quote your exact words for you again I suppose.

41 minutes ago, Batman1876 said:

Our Offense was anemic against playoff teams mostly due to the fact that we had 1 passing TD every 4 games. 

I also don't think hypocrite means what you think it means. Everything I have presented to you is based squarely in reality and can be proven with recorded statistics. Care to point me to that time where we had 4 passing TDs in a season?

Edited by BuffaloHokie13

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'll quote your exact words for you again I suppose.

I also don't think hypocrite means what you think it means. Everything I have presented to you is based squarely in reality and can be proven with recorded statistics.

I said or be a hypocrite not you are a hypocrite. And you are right I was being hyperbolic I said once every 4 games and I meant once every 3.5 forgive me. 

Just now, Batman1876 said:

I said or be a hypocrite not you are a hypocrite. And you are right I was being hyperbolic I said once every 4 games and I meant once every 3.5 forgive me. 

So you're trying to present a stat from a 7 games last season and apply it to the past 5 years as a whole?

23 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

OP's title is a bit dramatic..... was anyone thinking playoffs after Gilmore and woods walked and they unloaded Watkins and darby?

Yes.  The "trade up to pick #2 crowd" is saying that we can buy superman,  ignore trading many good veteran players, have little in the way of draft for the next 2 years...... and, baby, we are superbowl bound.     NOT.

2 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

Yes.  The "trade up to pick #2 crowd" is saying that we can buy superman,  ignore trading many good veteran players, have little in the way of draft for the next 2 years...... and, baby, we are superbowl bound.     NOT.

Strawman argument. No one is saying we can buy superman, they are saying we can buy our best chance at superman. Also we would not necessarily have very little for the next 2 drafts. we have 3 extra picks in the first 3 rounds so even if we trade 5 for one we still only are down 1 pick. 

• Like (+1) 1

The cost would be both firsts, a second and a third.

2600 -1200= 1400            trade our #12  first round

1400- 780=  620               trade our #22   first round

620- 370=  250                 trade our #53   second round

250- 265-  done               trade our top of 3rd round

that leaves us with no first round pick (other than the QB) and one second and one third.  That sounds good but doesn't fill the holes that are in the roster.

26 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

So you're trying to present a stat from a 7 games last season and apply it to the past 5 years as a whole?

I'm saying that stat is representative of how bad our QB play has been during EJ. Orton, and Tyrod. Its a big reason why we are 7-28 against playoff teams over those 5 years. 

10 minutes ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

that leaves us with no first round pick (other than the QB) and one second and one third.  That sounds good but doesn't fill the holes that are in the roster.

So we would get 1 first, one second and one third. In other words the normal amount, which you claim is essentially none. So by getting a QB we'll be left with the normal number of picks. I think we'll be better off with the most likely to succeed QB and fill in with other draft picks and FA next year.  Remember any position can be filled in FA QB not so much. 

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

dude...... just whatever man.

On 4/3/2018 at 11:57 AM, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

This opinion is such bunk.  You don't know what the holes are until you have a viable QB.  Then you hear the "QB doesn't fix everything" argument.  No they don't but its those extra few minutes of possession time, those two extra field goals, those few extra first downs,  even when you punt it's pushing the opposing offense a little further back - that make the difference.  It changes how the team looks and plays.  This team isn't going to the playoffs with a LB and WR 2-3 straight years anyway so get a damn QB.

Of course it's not that easy to just say get a QB but you have to try.  It could be a very very long time before we have the draft picks to allow us to try like this.  The only reason to not draft a QB is if the one or two you want are gone and you can't find a trade partner, then I'd agree.  The crazier reason, which is nuts, is to fill holes, suck, then draft one next year.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

lol it's going to be more than this

On 4/3/2018 at 3:02 PM, Agent 91 said:

I like Maj but Philly had 3 bona fide qb whisperers on staff. Reich Peterson and Defilippo. Top it off... they won with pseudo journeyman Nick Foles. Philly is, if nothing else, the exception to the rule. I would love to have had their situation but we dont. I dont want anyone in a trade up but Rosen. I would settle for Mayfield. Rosen will need a much better pass pro in front of him though

There are so many "exceptions to the rule".   People winning without a "franchise QB".  People getting NFL starters in the third round. etc.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Batman1876 said:

I'm saying that stat is representative of how bad our QB play has been during EJ. Orton, and Tyrod. Its a big reason why we are 7-28 against playoff teams over those 5 years. 

So we would get 1 first, one second and one third. In other words the normal amount, which you claim is essentially none. So by getting a QB we'll be left with the normal number of picks. I think we'll be better off with the most likely to succeed QB and fill in with other draft picks and FA next year.  Remember any position can be filled in FA QB not so much. 

You can not expect scrubs from other teams to beat the best players.  I think that the house cleaning (Darby, Watkins etc) was done to start over with a different core of young players.  You have to get those players in place before a QB will make a difference.

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/3/2018 at 11:57 AM, Domdab99 said:

Moving up is sexy, it's fun, it's what's for dinner these days. But moving up will set the team's growth back three, maybe five years. Possibly longer. This team has so many holes, that to throw away all these picks on a QB who might be good is insanity. 

If we can somehow move up and still have 1 2nd and 1 3rd...I'd be willing to listen. But only for Rosen or Mayfield. Trading up for any of the other QBs is insanity. Especially since Jackson has a very good chance of being there at 12. Hell, he has a good chance of being there at 22.

I'd rather pick an elite player at 12 - Roquan Smith, Derwin James, Vita Vea....etc. Use the rest of the picks on holes like WR, OL, DL, LB....

Throwing away this draft along with a first next next year? No thanks. 

And im sure Eagles fans said the same thing

I admire OP's guts to start this thread 2 years after the Iggles, fresh off a super bowl victory, and the Rams, who are now looking like early super bowl favorites, traded up to get QBs and immediately transformed their franchises.  Most guys try to keep their heads down and hide their stupidity but OP shouted it from the mountain top.

• Haha (+1) 1

You need two things to be perennial Super Bowl contenders:

A coach and a quarterback. 

Without that, your best bet is to fluke a random Wild Card berth every once in a while. 

How about we try to lock that up and go from there?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, maryland-bills-fan said:

You can not expect scrubs from other teams to beat the best players.  I think that the house cleaning (Darby, Watkins etc) was done to start over with a different core of young players.  You have to get those players in place before a QB will make a difference.

You draft the QB when he’s available not when everything else is in place. Who was the last Elite QB prospect the bills had an opportunity at? It’s 4th and One  your down by 5 Time running out do you punt and hope to get it back knowing the other team has a good chance to kill the clock or do you take your opportunity to win the game now? I take the opportunity I have not the opportunity I hope to get later. 

Edited by Batman1876

1 hour ago, Jauronimo said:

I admire OP's guts to start this thread 2 years after the Iggles, fresh off a super bowl victory, and the Rams, who are now looking like early super bowl favorites, traded up to get QBs and immediately transformed their franchises. 

Immediately transformed? -Who comes up with this bullsh_t?

Both teams had foundations in place before their QB's ever arrived... But, by all means, ignore the fact that the Rams tried drafting a savior, in the form of Sam Bradford, back in 2010.... -How'd that work out?... Any astute observer can point to a series of moves, (and eventualities) OTHER than Jared Goff that led to the Rams success.

The taking of Aaron Donald in RD' 1 of the 2014 draft was a foundation move that would pay dividends later on... Drafting Jared Goff in '16 PLUS taking 2 TE's in that same draft, was also proof the Rams were thinking "right"... Perhaps the biggest turning point, was the firing of HC Jeff Fisher in week 16 o the 2016 season! -New ideas flowed in with the hiring of McVay, and the departure of OC Rob Boras ( current Bills TE coach) for Matt LeFleur.. But the largest contributing factor in the LA Rams success, was the decline of the ENTIRE NFC West!  Time finally caught up with the Seahawks as they failed to field a top 10 defense for the first time since '2012!  L.A. was able to split with the Niners (rested starters wk. 17)  and Seahawks, plus issue beat-downs to ARIZ in both games. Contributing to this laughable schedule strength was the sub-500  Giants Texans, and Colts, plus the non-playoff Cowboys!  LeFleur is now gone and the Niners seem back on track, so let's see what '18 Brings...

Then there's the Eagles deception... -A fake narrative of the process that led them to the Superbowl... PHI only added a top draft QB when they had solid help at TE, OT, and WR.. Not to mention role players at DT, LB, and DE on defense... -Does anyone see anything like that around the Bills roster? - I sure as hell Don't!... If anything we helped the RAMS by trading them our two best WR's! ... The Eagles then proceeded to re-inforce that foundation by doubling down on positions like TE, RB, WR and even Quarterback! 

-In the end, it wasn't Philly's shiny, new, 2016 #1 overall pick that led the way, but a near-washout, journeyman 3rd rounder!  So, what's the REAL lesson here?

Some of you are so stoked at the prospect of BUF finally drafting a top 3 QB, that you've completely taken leave of your senses.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

there really is no right answer. I can get behind a number of scenarios this draft. 

Scenario 1: Trade up to #2 at whatever cost. This way you pretty much guarantee you get THE guy you want. Beane's tenure as Bills GM will be defined by this selection. Ideal scenario here is that you find a QB for the next 10 years. 

Scenario 2: Darnold, Rosen and Mayfield are all gone 1-2-3. No chance to move up unless you value Allen enough to do so(i don't personally). You take BPA at 12 and so on. Possibly get a QB late in rd 2(Lauletta, White). Could take Lamar Jackson if that is who Beane wants to hitch his wagon to. Could really solidify other positions here(LB, DL, OL). 

Scenario 3: Mayfield drops to 12. Unlikely scenario but it is possible that a lot of this QB craze is just posturing by teams ahead of the bills trying to drive up the price. 

Scenario 4: Move up to 7ish to draft a QB that drops if you think another team might look to jump ahead of the Bills. Or the Dolphins might take the guy. 

It could work out where we don't end up with a QB until the end of the 2nd/early 3rd. Can't hold it against Beane if there are no willing trade partners. Overpaying is one thing, but getting downright robbed doing so is another. The last thing i want is them giving up a ton of assets for the 4th best QB. Obviously whoever they pick i'll support but it'd be a tough pill to swallow to give up all those assets to get to #5 and pick Allen. 

• Like (+1) 1