Favorite thing about Buffalo

Another Fan

20 minutes ago, Buffalo_Gal said:

You couldn't pay me double the most lucrative teacher's contract today to deal with the current crop of parents. The kids? Maybe. The parents? Nope.

I know I am Gen X and they said it about us.  But young labor is beyond effed up.  There is really a disco (disconnect) around the birth year 1980 or so.

Those guys are now pushing 40, mid-life.

Echo-boomers...Kids of Boomers. Boomers on steroids.

I say WE, we failed them.

18 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

It's my home and where my family and friends live 

It’s my home, and Ilove it. I honestly think I only have one close friend left in WNY. I left for college when I was 17, as did many of my friends. Few returned. 

1 minute ago, Augie said:

It’s my home, and Ilove it. I honestly think I only have one close friend left in WNY. I left for college when I was 17, as did many of my friends. Few returned. 

Well this is kind of a sad post. :(

Just now, Dante said:

Well this is kind of a sad post. :(

Yes. Yes it is. I went to college in Ohio and got out in ‘82. Few jobs anywhere, virtually none in Buffalo. I went south and took any old bank job I could get. We now live in Atlanta. Most people I meet locally are here because it’s a good place to find a good job. That’s why my wife is here, and why my son ended up here. Jobs drive where people go. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

Yes. Yes it is. I went to college in Ohio and got out in ‘82. Few jobs anywhere, virtually none in Buffalo. I went south and took any old bank job I could get. We now live in Atlanta. Most people I meet locally are here because it’s a good place to find a good job. That’s why my wife is here, and why my son ended up here. Jobs drive where people go. 

No choice. Especially if you have a family

1 minute ago, Dante said:

No choice. Especially if you have a family

Yep, it’s the worst place I’ve lived in 30 years, but living in Hilton Head Island, SC and Sarasota, FL will spoil a guy. You do what you have to do (I keep telling myself). There are far worse places than Atlanta to be. I’d love a summer place in WNY. That would be very.....”comfortable”, and a good game week landing spot. A decenct condo is pretty affordable. 

5 hours ago, Alaska Darin said:

Illinois is hemorrhaging population and the state isn't going to be able to continue down the path they're on now.  It will take a miracle for the state to make it through the next 10-15 years without declaring bankruptcy.  The were holding onto bills for six months or more just last year because of how bankrupt the state really is.

Moody's says the state is $250,000,000,000.00 in debt (currently about $20k per resident) and it's rising at a rate that far outpaces inflation.  As baby boomer teachers, cops, firefighters, and administrators continue retiring, that bill for those very expensive pensions is going to come due with not nearly enough revenue coming in to cover the increasing costs.  Given the number of companies that are fleeing the state and they pace it's happening, it's just a matter of time before there is a serious calamity.

So while your macro situation isn't terrible, there are far more people who are seriously affected by the high taxation and regulatory environment of the state.  You're paying double the national average for property tax.  That's all but a guarantee that retirees are going to head for cheaper states where their money will go further.

Illinois=Venezuela

What I miss most of all is family and friends who are still there, what I love the most is the summertime at Sunset Beach and Canada( Bay Beach) and summer concerts.

On 4/3/2018 at 5:36 PM, Augie said:

Yep, it’s the worst place I’ve lived in 30 years, but living in Hilton Head Island, SC and Sarasota, FL will spoil a guy. You do what you have to do (I keep telling myself). There are far worse places than Atlanta to be. I’d love a summer place in WNY. That would be very.....”comfortable”, and a good game week landing spot. A decenct condo is pretty affordable. 

I have a brother who lives in Buckhead I have visited a couple times. He has season tickets and a condo in Buffalo for that purpose. Works good for me cause my wife and I stay there when we visit. He is looking forward to moving back when he can.

12 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

What I miss most of all is family and friends who are still there, what I love the most is the summertime at Sunset Beach and Canada( Bay Beach) and summer concerts.

I have a brother who lives in Buckhead I have visited a couple times. He has season tickets and a condo in Buffalo for that purpose. Works good for me cause my wife and I stay there when we visit. He is looking forward to moving back when he can.

Interesting, we have just started looking for a condo in Buckhead for my son. He’s young and hardworking, and his lease comes up this summer. We can buy something a little nicer than he can rent and we all come out ahead even if he can’t fully cover the cost. 

3 minutes ago, mead107 said:

Love everything 

EVERYTHING? I hit a pot hole hidden in slush near Buff State one time that knocked out the rear speakers in my car. No other vehicles in sight and it was like a major crash!  I did NOT love that. 

(Why did my mind jump to THAT?) 

• Haha (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Augie said:

Interesting, we have just started looking for a condo in Buckhead for my son. He’s young and hardworking, and his lease comes up this summer. We can buy something a little nicer than he can rent and we all come out ahead even if he can’t fully cover the cost. 

My brother works for a bank there and has a condo about a block or two away, so he just walks to work and mostly stays in his neighborhood. My wife and I have had a lot of fun visiting. 

Edited by Turk71