SIX Picks within the FIRST 96 in the draft - Loving Life!

Punt75

1 hour ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Ok, then we pretty much agree. My post wasn't anti pocket passer. It was just that building around McCarron would be a poor decision.

I highly doubt thats the plan.  The bills needed a qb with at least some experience going into the season after trading Tyrod.  I think its pretty clear the bills want to draft a qb high...its just how high and who

You kids are embarrassing - - you all want the BIG SPLASH on ESPN, FOX SPORTS etc.  Trading up for a QB will make you excited - feel important!!  And, getting to tell it first on this and other web sites will make you so proud.  SILLY KID STUFF!   Just like the signing of Mario Williams - it was an HISTORIC DEAL - it made the Buffalo Bills relevant in the NFL.  At age 33 he can't even get a job playing football.  AND - the wonderful signing of COACH REX RYAN - everyone in the NFL wanted him - - and the Bills got him!  We were relevant!!!

Grow up - - build a team - a solid team.  If this staff just wants to use the SIX PICKS on something other than a QB - - so be it.  I trust them!!

Edited by Punt75

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

What if they're high on Mccarron. Instead of being aggressive, sit back and grab your QB, and bolster your roster with top end young talent.

Who knows, will be interesting

They ARE high on McCarron. That's why they brought him in as opposed to all the other possible bridge QBs who were still out there at that time.

It will be interesting. 

5 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

I firmly believe the top 4 QBs will be gone by pick 6 

This is it, most likely. Very possibly even by pick 5.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

That could be and could not be. I'm sure they'd love to have a trade partner.

Watch Darnold be there and they take Barkley instead. It would not be surprising, considering how the draft plays out every year.

If the Giants want Barkley, they'll be willing to trade back to #4 or possibly even #5. Which would make it pretty likely we could get to #2 with two trades.

And the Giants could just as easily be targeting DE Chubb rather than RB Barkley. Or one of the two.

5 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

That's not true at all.

Getting a QB means nothing.

More top 5 QB DO NOT make consistent playoff appearances, than top 5 QB that do.

Actually alot of the guys who consistently make the playoffs were way outside the top 5.

Brady , Wilson , Rodgers , Big Ben , to name a few. It's a crap shoot.

It's not a crap shoot whatsoever. It's a play on the odds. If you get a QB with the top pick, your odds of success in getting a franchise QB are somewhere around 70%. Get one with the #2 - #5 pick your odds are still above 50% you get a franchise guy (just based on what's happened since 2000). Below that, your odds drop. The farther down you go, the lower the odds. That's not a crap shoot.

Getting a franchise QB is huge, the single biggest piece piece of the puzzle. It doesn't guarantee team success, as guys like Rivers and Archie Manning show. But without a franchise QB your odds of winning a Super Bowl are absolutely miniscule.

So what do you do? You maximize the odds of getting a franchise QB. And you do that by getting a high pick in the draft, at least if you don't manage to get Cousins or Brees in FA. 

Yeah, if you can't do that, you keep trying further down anyway. But you give up a lot - an absolute ton - to trade up into the purer air at higher altitudes to maximize your chances.

It ain't a coincidence we hear that Beane is "trying like hell" to trade up. The Jets trading up to #3 put us under huge pressure.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

If the Giants want Barkley, they'll be willing to trade back to #4 or possibly even #5. Which would make it pretty likely we could get to #2 with two trades.

And the Giants could just as easily be targeting DE Chubb rather than RB Barkley. Or one of the two.

It's not a crap shoot whatsoever. It's a play on the odds. If you get a QB with the top pick, your odds of success in getting a franchise QB are somewhere around 70%. Get one with the #2 - #5 pick your odds are still above 50% you get a franchise guy (just based on what's happened since 2000). Below that, your odds drop. The farther down you go, the lower the odds. That's not a crap shoot.

Getting a franchise QB is huge, the single biggest piece piece of the puzzle. It doesn't guarantee team success, as guys like Rivers and Archie Manning show. But without a franchise QB your odds of winning a Super Bowl are absolutely miniscule.

So what do you do? You maximize the odds of getting a franchise QB. And you do that by getting a high pick in the draft, at least if you don't manage to get Cousins or Brees in FA. 

Yeah, if you can't do that, you keep trying further down anyway. But you give up a lot - an absolute ton - to trade up into the purer air at higher altitudes to maximize your chances.

It ain't a coincidence we hear that Beane is "trying like hell" to trade up. The Jets trading up to #3 put us under huge pressure.

I read this and sometime I think people confuse “Cause” with “Effect”. 

It seems like some feel that the high pick will “cause” the “effect” of a great QB selection. But it’s the quality of the player that “causes” the “effect” of a high pick. 

Like a person who sees happy people at a party and assumes the party is the “cause” of the happiness. They get confused when they are still

unhappy even when they throw their own party. The party was the “effect” of happy people but was not the “cause” of it so assuming that throwing a party will make you happy is foolish. 

Just becuase we use a very high draft pick on a guy, it doesn’t change the quality of the player. He must be the “cause” and worth the high pick to have the “effect” of being a good QB. 

Its seems that some think that using a high pick on a QB causes them to have a higher success rate. But it’s not the pick, it’s the person who makes the pick successful. 

4 minutes ago, DaggersEOD said:

I read this and sometime I think people confuse “Cause” with “Effect”. 

It seems like some feel that the high pick will “cause” the “effect” of a great QB selection. But it’s the quality of the player that “causes” the “effect” of a high pick. 

Like a person who sees happy people at a party and assumes the party is the “cause” of the happiness. They get confused when they are still

unhappy even when they throw their own party. The party was the “effect” of happy people but was not the “cause” of it so assuming that throwing a party will make you happy is foolish. 

Just becuase we use a very high draft pick on a guy, it doesn’t change the quality of the player. He must be the “cause” and worth the high pick to have the “effect” of being a good QB. 

Its seems that some think that using a high pick on a QB causes them to have a higher success rate. But it’s not the pick, it’s the person who makes the pick successful. 

Correct. Good scouting is necessary. Goes without saying, I would think.

However, the higher you have to go to get your guy, the better the odds. But you're right that if you have the #1 pick and use it on, say,  Ryan Fitzpatrick, drafting him first hasn't made him a better player.

6 hours ago, Punt75 said:

You kids are embarrassing - - you all want the BIG SPLASH on ESPN, FOX SPORTS etc.  Trading up for a QB will make you excited - feel important!!  And, getting to tell it first on this and other web sites will make you so proud.  SILLY KID STUFF!   Just like the trade for Mario Williams - it was an HISTORIC TRADE - it made the Buffalo Bills relevant in the NFL.  At age 33 he can't even get a job playing football.  AND - the wonderful signing of COACH REX RYAN - everyone in the NFL wanted him - - and the Bills got him!  We were relevant!!!

Grow up - - build a team - a solid team.  If this staff just wants to use the SIX PICKS on something other than a QB - - so be it.  I trust them!!

There was no Mario Williams trade.

9 hours ago, Punt75 said:

I really don't give a damn what crazy Cleveland does - they'll screw it up anyway on the field!  The Giants, Jets & Colts - who cares as they are irrelevant?

I just believe our GM, Scouting Staff & HC will make intelligent decisions to FIX a team that's been a loser for 17 season's.   Last year was fun but we certainly didn't have a roster to make a play-off run.  I give credit to the HC and his staff for even keeping us competitive. 

Whatever this group does with the picks - - -it will FIX this team for years to come!

Uh,,,,, We had our dog fixed last year. 

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

What if they're high on Mccarron. Instead of being aggressive, sit back and grab your QB, and bolster your roster with top end young talent.

They definitely are not high on A.J.  Otherwise, they would have got him early in the offseason. He was what was left over from the FA grab-your-qb-festival.  The Bills need to *TRY* and invest in a QB who has a chance to succeed.  The Bills have to pray that Denver does not want one of the big four QBs so that they can get the 4th available QB in a trade witb Denver or Colts and don't allow a Baltimore or Arizona to swoop in.

2 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

I just hope we get our guy.  If we have to trade up to do it, then so be it.  If we do it without going way up or by staying put then how dumb are the Jets.

WHat does this got to do with the Jets.  The Jets are positioned themselves to get the 3rd best QB (as per the draft order) and may be the best QB from their perspective with the 3rd pick

7 hours ago, Punt75 said:

You kids are embarrassing - - you all want the BIG SPLASH on ESPN, FOX SPORTS etc.  Trading up for a QB will make you excited - feel important!!  And, getting to tell it first on this and other web sites will make you so proud.  SILLY KID STUFF!   Just like the trade for Mario Williams - it was an HISTORIC TRADE - it made the Buffalo Bills relevant in the NFL.  At age 33 he can't even get a job playing football.  AND - the wonderful signing of COACH REX RYAN - everyone in the NFL wanted him - - and the Bills got him!  We were relevant!!!

And the whole thread makes sense now...

9 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

If they dont get to Two or 4 i am getting a sinking feeling they will be shut out of the top 4

If they don't get where they need to that is solely on the Bills. They have enough picks to convince a team that a trade is their best option. That 2019 Bills first rounder is one of the most valuable firsts heading into the next draft. Wave that thing around and people will listen.

10 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

would be a typical dumb billsy move, no way, this is the year we finally get a actual QB after 20 years.

How old are you ?

This post is embarrassing.