RUMOR: Browns to take Wyoming QB Josh Allen #1 Overall per Peter King

Just now, Tyrod's friend said:

Well then they'd be idiots.

On multiple levels. First, why do we trade up at 4? Why not just wait til 6 or 7 - if the Bills have Mayfield/Jackson/Rosen at the top of their wish list? 

Second, you have the #1 overall pick the draft and select a guy on hoping what some other team will do later ... instead of setting your team in a direction?

SO ... I guess that makes you right. The Browns are in fact, idiots. So maybe that's exactly what they are doing.

First, I don't believe anyone has Jackson in the same tier as the first 4. QBs would be going 1, 2, and 3 (Allen, Darnold, Mayfield/Rosen) and Denver could easily go QB with #5 making #4 the last chance to get one of the blue chip QBs.

Second, their direction all offseason has been that they were going with one of the 2 blue chip QBs that needed some time before starting (Allen or Darnold). It is completely conceivable that the Browns:

• Have very similar grades on Darnold and Allen
  • Know that the only way the Giants stay put at 2 is if Darnold is available
  • Want to select a Tackle, but believe they can trade back and still get the one they want while also picking up a late first and a mid-rounder, as they no longer have a 3rd round pick in 2018. (12, 22, and 96 would be a 30% premium on the value of their #4 pick)

Allen, McGlinchey, Guice, and another top 100 prospect seems preferable to Darnold & Barkley assuming the QBs are graded similarly imo.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I played both out. Actually if they like Rosen more then that might help because Rumor is Den doesnt like mayfield. 

Darnold would be gone at 2 based off reports is he was there 

I was responding to your own scenario which had the Giants taking Barkley, so in that exact scenario, Darnold would indeed be available at 3 since Allen and Barkley were the only 2 off the board.

2 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Best chance we have at not getting shut out if this was the case would be Giants to take Barkley

Giants - Barkley

Jets - Rosen

Bills (after trading up as CLE misses Barkley) - Mayfield 

Our hope is Giants don’t pick Darnold otherwise we could get shutout of the top 4.

3 hours ago, kdiggz said:

This would be horrible for us and would represent worst case scenario.  Then Darnold goes #2 to the Giants if the reports are true that he is the top player on their draft board.  Rosen goes 3 to the Jets.  Mayfield goes 5 to the Broncos.  We are left with nobody!!!

1. Allen

2. Darnold

3. Rosen

4. Barkley or Chubb

5. Mayfield

I agree it is the worst outcome for us... because it throws the cat among the pigeons. But I am still not sure it makes the Giants go QB. Would make me wonder what the Jets do...  I really, really think Allen is their guy. 

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I agree it is the worst outcome for us... because it throws the cat among the pigeons. But I am still not sure it makes the Giants go QB. Would make me wonder what the Jets do...  I really, really think Allen is their guy. 

it doesn't really matter in this scenario.  either way the Jets are going to get Rosen or Mayfield, the 2 best QB's in the draft imo.

Edited by kdiggz

Just now, kdiggz said:

it doesn't really matter.  either way the Jets are going to get Rosen or Mayfield, the 2 best QB's in the draft imo.

Well indeed, I think it makes it likely that is who the Jets end up with but I don't believe that is who they made the move to 3 for. 

I wouldn't like it because I think how most believed it would play out very much favoured the Bills going to #2. Changing the 1st overall pick changes the complextion of the draft. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

This would be very bad. Then it goes

1. Browns - Allen

2. Giants - Darnold

3. Jets - Rosen

5. Broncos - Mayfield

We get nobody in this scenario. We need Darnold to go 1. That opens up either trading up to 2 or sitting back and getting the 4th QB (Mayfield or Rosen) at 6 or 7

Just now, kdiggz said:

1. Browns - Allen

2. Giants - Darnold

3. Jets - Rosen

5. Broncos - Mayfield

We get nobody in this scenario. We need Darnold to go 1. That opens up either trading up to 2 or sitting back and getting the 4th QB (Mayfield or Rosen) at 6 or 7

I think Cleveland is game to trade out of #4

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

1. Browns - Allen

2. Giants - Darnold

3. Jets - Rosen

5. Broncos - Mayfield

I don't think it's a given that the Giants OR Broncos take QBs in this scenario.