Get creative in trade with Giants: Include OBJ and Hughes

Given the price paid by the Jets (which was too much IMHO),  just including draft picks from this year is never going to clinch it in a trade-up with the Giants. Clearly the sticking point will be the inclusion of next year's #1. I am wondering if a trade like this will get the job done.

Bills trade #12, #22, # 53, #56, next year's #1 and Jerry Hughes  for #2, and OBJ.

Giants get a replacement for JPP. And anyway, they are shopping OBJ. By trading him to the Bills, they at least keep him out of the NFC. Bills, besides getting their QB of the future (not named Darnold)  make up for their loss of extra draft capital by instantly turning their wideout weakness into strength with OBJ. With the abundance of cap space next year, they can easily structure an OBJ extension. And given OBJ's price, it is not like they have a steal going forward with him. It is not like the last four years. It gives them considerable Cap breathing room as well. 

Edited by IgotBILLStopay
  • Like (+1) 3

I’ll get about as creative as not trading for Beckham Jr. 

I understand he’s an immense talent. But all I see and hear is him talking about himself. The team (nor I personally), want that on my team. They just spent a year ditching most of the guys they felt had that type of attitude, or the injury history that Beckham has as well (see: Dareus, Marcell and Watkins, Sammy). 

• Like (+1) 2

While I’m sure it won’t happen, that would certainly make for an entertaining season.  We would likely have a fun offense that would put up a few 300 yard passing games (normal for most teams, rare for us).  

With that being said, I’m curious if anyone else felt this way last year.  We made the playoffs and won 9 games, but was last year perhaps one of the more boring seasons we have had in a while?  I feel like the Tampa and Oakland games were the most entertaining (sure we won so that helped), but in 7 other wins, it was just blah.  We won so that was great and I always root for wins.  But if we had an offense that gave us hope, I almost feel like 6-7 wins will actually be more entertaining than the 9 we had last year.  

Edited by billsfan5121

Just to complete the thought use our 3rd rounders this year to draft an ILB (say a Darius Leonard or a Malik Jefferson) and an offensive lineman (say Connor Williams / Martinas Rankin). And get a backup RB / CB / STers in the later rounds / UDFAs making it as complete a football lineup as we have seen in recent years. 

The only cost to this plan is no #1 next year - but I feel it will be worth it.

trading for OBJ is contingent on him signing a long term deal with your team, otherwise he won't step foot on the field.  do you really think he is signing long term to play in BUFFALO with AJ MCCARRON as the QB?  get real

I don't think he's the type of player McDermott wants here.  In addition it seems based on what he's said that Beane wants to have a balanced roster with regards to salary cap implications.  OBJ wants to be the highest paid receiver in the NFL and he might get it ... but not in Buffalo.

Just now, Virgil said:

You going to pay him the 16+ mil a year he wants?

gotta break an egg to make an omelette kinda thinking. We will have a few years where we underpay the QB and can afford to pay arguably a top 3 wideout 16 mill a year, no? Heck, Sammy got 16 a year and Robinson 14 a year man. OBJ worth 16 a year easily - just Giants are so capped out partly due to Eli's, Olivier Vernon's and Solder's salaries.

8 minutes ago, ProcessTheTrust said:

They quickly shipped of Sammy because behind the scenes, very quietly, he wasn't in line with their new culture. But OBJ will be? Love the talent, not seeing them contradicting themselves on this one though.

a little revisionist history, no? I didnt hear anything bad about Sammy's attitude during McBeane's time. The option decline was primarily due to his inability to stay healthy - nothing about attitude man.

11 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

trading for OBJ is contingent on him signing a long term deal with your team, otherwise he won't step foot on the field.  do you really think he is signing long term to play in BUFFALO with AJ MCCARRON as the QB?  get real

If you dont believe the #2 will snag you a QB people want to play with, you shdnt even be thinking of a GIants trade no?