THE GREAT DEBATE: Was Mario Williams A Good Signing?

Was Mario Williams A Good Signing?  

119 members have voted

1. 1. Was Mario Williams A Good Signing?

• YES! he was a good FA signing
    • NO! he was not a good FA signing

mariowilliamsbills_crop_north.jpg?133453

In an earlier thread, I got into a very interesting discussion about the Bills signing of Mario Williams.  I consider the signing as decent but ultimately unsuccessful as I don't feel Mario's play justified making him the richest defensive player in NFL history.  I also don't feel that Mario was a true impact player at DE that completely took over games like I've seen J Watt or Khalil Mack do.  

So I'm wondering - Was Mario Williams A Good Signing For The Bills?

The Money

In 2012, the Bills signed Mario to a whopping 6 year $100 million contract ($49.5 guaranteed).  At the time it was the richest NFL contract for a defensive player.  If you recall, this was a very exciting time for Bills fans and most of the fan base was super pumped.  Some even made comparisons that he would be the "Bruce Smith" of this era for the Bills.  The national media was largely negative on the signing, believing that we overpaid badly.  Texans fans said the same nothing that Mario was a "good" DE but not a player worth that contract.

PR

Mario's signing definitely was big from a PR standpoint for the team.  At the time, there was a very negative perception of the franchise and a belief that FA's would not want to go to Buffalo.  Landing the biggest free agent of the off-season certainly did disprove that - though it came at a cost.

Numbers

From a statistical standpoint, Mario's numbers were certainly on par with his performance in Houston over the first three years.  He had a career high in sacks in 2014, playing on a strong defense alongside other great pass rushers including 2014 versions of Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes.    

Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Int Yds TD Lng PD FF Fmb FR Yds TD Sk Tkl Ast Sfty AV
2006 21 HOU DE 90 16 16 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 1 0 0 4.5 35 12   6
2007 22 HOU DE 90 16 16 0 0 0 0 1 2 0 1 38 1 14.0 43 16   10
2008* 23 HOU DE 90 16 16           4 0 0 0 0 12.0 44 9   9
2009* 24 HOU DE 90 16 16 0 0 0 0 3 2 0 1 0 0 9.0 38 5   11
2010 25 HOU DE 90 13 13 0 0 0 0 2 1 0 0 0 0 8.5 22 6   5
2011 26 HOU lb 90 5 5 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 5.0 10 1   3
2012 27 BUF DE 94 16 16 0 0 0 0 4 2 0 2 0 0 10.5 37 9   7
2013* 28 BUF DE 94 16 16 0 0 0 0 4 1 0 0 0 0 13.0 28 10   13
2014*+ 29 BUF DE 94 16 16 0 0 0 0 2 2 0 0 0 0 14.5 36 6   18
2015 30 BUF DE 94 15 15                     5.0 15 4  

Defensive Impact

Mario on his own didn't have much of an impact on the Bills defense.  The unit was 26th in 2012 and 20th in 2013.  The 2012 Bills defense under Dave Wannstedt was so bad, it essentially cost Chan Gailey his coaching job.  It wasn't until 2014, when the Bills improved to 4th overall thanks in part to a great scheme by Jim Schwartz and a line of talented pass rushers.  In 2015, Mario had literally no impact on the Bills defense.

The End

Rex Ryan's scheme spelled the end for Mario Williams.  The Bills released him  in 2015, eating the final two years of his record breaking deal.  Mario appeared to be unmotivated in 2015, some acused him of copping an attitude both on and off the field.  He was a complete non-factor in 2015 - some might argue he hurt the team.  Mario played just one more season for Miami, where he again, was a non-fact raking up a meager 1.5 sacks in 13 games.  Quite the fall from grace considering he set a carer record in sacks two years earlier.  imagine how Bills fans would have reacted if they heard Mario's career would last the duration of the 6 years we signed him.   

My take = Mario was not a good signing: 

Yes Mario had a few good years from a statistical standpoint, but I don't feel his play warranted being the highest paid defensive football player in the NFL.  I can remember a game where Mario completely dominated and was a huge factor in a victory.  I also remember Mario disappearing during key stretches of games.   His play during the 2015 season was straight up embarrassing.  The Bills got rid of Mario before his contract even ended, which speaks volumes to how the signing went.  

Edited by BuffaloRush
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

awe come on,  Rex Ryan ruined him but if we had some semblance of a QB.. (I find Orton very overrated on this board). I think there could have good a good possibility Chan, Ryan Fitz, and Schwartz doing his knockout job knowing we have the best DE in the leage.. we could go 10-6 that year.

1 minute ago, Bag of Milk said:

What year is this?

Is there not enough angst and pain without reaching back into history?

it's the off season want do you want to talk about. I was going to start a thread about how Eric Moulds has been my favorite player growing up. Can I get your permission?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, BuffaloRush said:

Nope, I mean it's sure to stir up some interesting conversations as Bills fans have strong feelings on the topic

We’re neck deep in the wildest free agency that’s ever been. We have two picks in the top three rounds of the draft with three viable qb options. Mario Williams? 

1 minute ago, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

it's the off season want do you want to talk about. I was going to start a thread about how Eric Moulds has been my favorite player growing up. Can I get your permission?

You have my permission.  It's fun to talk Bills history

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

From a statistical standpoint, Mario's numbers were certainly on par with his performance in Houston over the firs three years.  He had a career high in sacks in 2014, playing on a strong defense alongside other great pass rushers including 2014 versions of Marcel Dareus, Kyle Williams and Jerry Hughes.    

l got yo back. although I disagree haha. Let's have fun reminiscing.

So I guess "fine" constitutes the highest contract for a defensive player

You have to pay market value. And at the time we were (just now shedding this) a dumpster fire. So yes for what we paid and the production we got from him, he was fine. He has the most sacks in a season of anyone not named Bruce Smith!

Just now, Bobby Hooks said:

We’re neck deep in the wildest free agency that’s ever been. We have two picks in the top three rounds of the draft with three viable qb options. Mario Williams? 

There's enough fake news and draft speculation and predictions which will never happen.  It's fun to look back and discuss topics that Bills fans feel passionate about

1 minute ago, thenorthremembers said:

Well you said yourself the guaranteed money was 49.5 million, he had 43 sacks while he was here.   Is a sack worth a million dollars?

Personally I wouldnt pay any player other than a quarterback 100 million dollars, so yeah I'd say it was both bad and pointless.

Yeah I think more along the same lines.  I think he was an ok signing, but I don't think he even lived up to the giant contract he was signed to.  The fact that we cut him loose two years before the end, speaks volumes too. 

3 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

Rex destroyed our defense. They were killing it with Schwartz. Hiring him was the mistake

Rex's defense wasn't as good as Schwartz's, not debatable.  The end result for each of them was 15-17, so I wouldn't say either of them was necessarily killing it.  The mistake was not finding a quarterback. 

There's enough fake news and draft speculation and predictions which will never happen.  It's fun to look back and discuss topics that Bills fans feel passionate about

Nah... the money is gone and spent. Was it a good signing. Yeah, football is entertainment. We weren’t going to see playoff football so at least we got to see an awesome d-line crush it for a few years. 

Otherwise, there wouldn’t have been a point to watch at all. 

Just now, PetermanThrew5Picks said:

oops I meant to respond to the other guy criticizing you over talking about Bills history. Same page.

All good man.... I like talking Bills with my friends in real life.  It seems like there are hot-button topics that we feel strongly about (sometimes end up in debates) but it's always a lively situation.  I think it's fun to bring those topics to this board

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

What was not to like...he dominated until Ryan put him into pass coverages.

But was he worth the contract they paid him.  He was paid as the top defensive plater in the NFL at the time.  Did anyone ever consider Mario as the best defensive player in the NFL?  I don't think so