Mike Mayock:. QB draft order... Darnold, Allen, Jackson.

PIZ

Little old, but interesting discussion.

Darnold first QB taken.  Then Allen.  Darhorse is Lamar Jackson.  Does not like Josh Rosen.  Likes him as a passer, doesn't mind his personality, but doesn't think he can protect himself in the pocket.  Compares Rosen in the pocket (injuries) to Sam Bradford.

https://vokalnow.com/audio/1575

Edited by PIZ

3 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It's what I dislike about Rosen the most. Statuesque. 

Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, and Tom Brady are three of the least athletic, most "statuesque" passers I can ever remember. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

"Statuesque" qbs can still sometimes be good in the pocket...a step up here, a shimmy there, good peripheral vision. Hopefully Rosen can improve in that area (if he's a bill). Rob Johnson was terrible at moving in the pocket and sensing pressure. 

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

Peyton Manning, Dan Marino, and Tom Brady are three of the least athletic, most "statuesque" passers I can ever remember. 

Marino had an unbelievably quick release, even with his " all over the place" mechanics. Brady is slow , but has worked on it and improved throughout his career. It's not that I think  Rosen doesn't have a chance to be successful in the NFL. He does It's just the part of his game i dislike the most. Compared to the highly rated QBs in this draft, hes not very mobile. The discussion was about Rosen, not other QBs that lacked mobility. 

6 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

A lot of those “statuesque” QBs are the best of all time.  

That's not what was being discussed. As stated, it's just my least favorite part of Rosen's game, and a consideration. Drew Bledsoe was statuesque and the game passed him by. 

Concussions with Rosen scare me more than a little. The film looks good, Rich Eisen interview was nice, but two concussions just last year? Injuries happen, but concussions are at another level for me. 

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Marino had an unbelievably quick release, even with his " all over the place" mechanics. Brady is slow , but has worked on it and improved throughout his career. It's not that I think  Rosen doesn't have a chance to be successful in the NFL. He does It's just the part of his game i dislike the most. Compared to the highly rated QBs in this draft, hes not very mobile. The discussion was about Rosen, not other QBs that lacked mobility. 

Even though he is taller than Drew Brees.

Rosen's ability to process information, make all the throws, and threaten the whole field vertically and horizontally reminds me of him.

5 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

"Statuesque" qbs can still sometimes be good in the pocket...a step up here, a shimmy there, good peripheral vision. Hopefully Rosen can improve in that area (if he's a bill). Rob Johnson was terrible at moving in the pocket and sensing pressure. 

Exactly, And Johnson was a good athlete.

14 minutes ago, Augie said:

Concussions with Rosen scare me more than a little. The film looks good, Rich Eisen interview was nice, but two concussions just last year? Injuries happen, but concussions are at another level for me. 

Scare the crap out of me.  It has to be a significant factor in evaluating him...If you move up to take him you have to view it as a 10-year investment in a player.  Rosen's concussions make it like a bitcoin investment

7 minutes ago, jr1 said:

he comes from a wealthy family. He doesn't have the financial urgency to keep playing if he gets more concussions 

Honestly, I hope you don’t take this wrong, but because his father is a surgeon does not mean he doesn’t have to work for the rest of his life or have any personal drive. He’s not a trust fund billionaire as far as we know. Daddy is a doctor. Johnny Football had his own oil money trust as I recall, but he was also an addict and a different person. 

My wife came from a “well off” family, and she may be the hardest working person I know. People seem to resent successful people sometimes. Peyton and Eli were not out of the ghetto. It’s about the individual and their personal drive. 

Sorry, mini-rant over. 

EDIT: If he DOES have concussion issues, I would hope he stops playing regardless of his families financial status. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2