Bill Polian to start new Spring Football League - The AAF

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/20/bill-polian-to-help-form-new-spring-pro-football-league/

Polian and Charlie Ebersol teaming up on a new league, starting this February!

So now with McMahon's plan to re-launch XFL in 2020, we'll have TWO spring leagues?

There's already talk here in Atlanta of our upcoming AAF team and where they are going to play.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

There will be no kickoffs and innovations around onsides kicks in which teams can go for a fourth-and-1o from the 35-yard line to retain possession.  Also, there will no extra points, only two-point conversions after scores, and a 30-second play clock.

Interesting, no kickoffs and a "4th and 1" play to win possession on your own kickoff...

Hope these leagues inspire positive changes in the NFL again.

I feel like the NFL needs to adapt in a way, accept that this is more ‘entertainment’ than sport now more than ever.

And by that I mean they need to streamline and freshen certain elements of the game. For example, idk which league is using this rule, but I love no onside kick and the team that’s behind gets a 4th and 10 from their own 35. Fresh idea, imo.

The NFL needs to find a way move on from 3+ hour productions, and the stodgy olde-timey feel of some of the rules, or they will continue to lose younger generations.

17 minutes ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

I feel like the NFL needs to adapt in a way, accept that this is more ‘entertainment’ than sport now more than ever.

And by that I mean they need to streamline and freshen certain elements of the game. For example, idk which league is using this rule, but I love no onside kick and the team that’s behind gets a 4th and 10 from their own 35. Fresh idea, imo.

The NFL needs to find a way move on from 3+ hour productions, and the stodgy olde-timey feel of some of the rules, or they will continue to lose younger generations.

You're hitting the nail on the head when talking about the 3+ hours.   I love watching the games, however when the bye week hits it always amazes me how much I get done by not watching a game.

Additionally, I cant do the late games.   Maybe I am in the minority, but I wish they could start the Monday and Thursday night games around 7pm rather than 8:30 or 9pm.  I understand the conflict with the West Coast but maybe a double header is the answer, I am not sure. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, 4_kidd_4 said:

and the same opening game play of play action, roll out, 1 yd pass to TE or FB

This league seems to be a much better concept than McMahon's vision.  The partnership with the players is a key element, while McMahon has a history of leeching off his talent.

It is a matter of how they aspire the league to be in the beginning and how they grow it.  Start out as kind of a regional league in mid-size markets in smaller venues and keep overhead and debt under control and it stands a chance.  

3 hours ago, Tatonka68 said:

Orlando, Birmingham, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, St Louis, San Diego, Memphis, Columbus OH are possible cities.

Interesting choice of cities and not looking to the upper Midwest at all.

Kentucky/Tennessee could offer a good location.

Also somewhere eastern carolinas could be good 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

Interesting choice of cities and not looking to the upper Midwest at all.

Kentucky/Tennessee could offer a good location.

Also somewhere eastern carolinas could be good 

THey said warm weather, though I mentioned Columbus but Louisville is a good spot.

• Like (+1) 1

IMO I think both leaves have an uphill battle.  I’d agree that the Ebersol league has a much better chance to succeed given his involvement with former NFL talent and personnel.  

IMO the biggest issue with the XFL was the fact that Vince McMahon was the owner.  WWE is seen by the majority of people as “low brow,” especially from legit sports writers.  I don’t think many journalists ever got past that.  Of course, the XFL sure gave reporters and fans alike a reason not to like the product.  I felt that the concept was pretty good but the overall execution of the XFL sucked.  

The question I have is, if the AAL or whatever they call the league is successful who will NFL react?  It makes me wonder if involvement in another football property will strain relationships.

I'm much more excited for this than the XFL.

Seems like it has a real chance to succeed considering the people involved and CBS deal in place. 

Should be a legit spring league and farm league for the NFL, at least to start. I'll buy seasons if there's a SD team.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/20/bill-polian-to-help-form-new-spring-pro-football-league/

Polian and Charlie Ebersol teaming up on a new league, starting this February!

So now with McMahon's plan to re-launch XFL in 2020, we'll have TWO spring leagues?

There's already talk here in Atlanta of our upcoming AAF team and where they are going to play.

As long as he doesn’t draft anyone- You know he’s worse than Russ and Marv right? 

• Haha (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

As long as he doesn’t draft anyone- You know he’s worse than Russ and Marv right? 

Maybe not worse, but technically his percentage of success is lower than the GM’s who followed him.  

Lets put it this way - it’s like a rookie hitter in baseball batting .350 in a handful of games vs. a player who has played in all 162 and is hitting .299.  Doesn’t mean the rookie is better but percentage wise he does have the higher BA.   

Edited by BuffaloRush

20 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

Maybe not worse, but technically his percentage of success is lower than the GM’s who followed him.  

Lets put it this way - it’s like a rookie hitter in baseball batting .350 in a handful of games vs. a player who has played in all 162 and is hitting .299.  Doesn’t mean the rookie is better but percentage wise he does have the higher BA.   

Technically ??