Bill Polian would take AJ McCarron over 2017 NFL Draft prospects

Let me ask you this !! ( example ) 

if we knew today that AJ McCarrone could be Alex Smith 2.0 would you still want to move up to get a QB or just use all our picks to build around him ??

Just now, Putin said:

if we knew today that AJ McCarrone could be Alex Smith 2.0 would you still want to move up to get a QB or just use all our picks to build around him ??

I'd still try and move up if I could get Josh Rosen. There is a reason teams move on from Alex Smith.  He is a really good QB (and I don't actually think McCarron can be Alex Smith v2.0) but he is too limited to go and win you a Championship unless everything around him is not just good but basically perfect.  If I had a QB of a Smith level though then I would not consider anyone other than Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield in this draft. 

9 minutes ago, Putin said:

Which Smith are you getting? 2017 Smith? Or earlier? If he can play at 2017 level, your problems are solved If it's the earlier Smith I still like him but I draft somebody else as well..

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd still try and move up if I could get Josh Rosen. There is a reason teams move on from Alex Smith.  He is a really good QB (and I don't actually think McCarron can be Alex Smith v2.0) but he is too limited to go and win you a Championship unless everything around him is not just good but basically perfect.  If I had a QB of a Smith level though then I would not consider anyone other than Rosen, Darnold, Mayfield in this draft. 

Fair enough !!!

1 minute ago, Thurman#1 said:

Which Smith are you getting? 2017 Smith? Or earlier? If he can play at 2017 level, your problems are solved If it's the earlier Smith I still like him but I draft somebody else as well..

Some QB’s take a little time to develop , 

we also know that the right coach/system can make all the difference 

33 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Bill Polian would take AJ McCarron over 2017 NFL Draft prospects

But you folks remember how undersold Trubisky, Watson, etc. were before the draft. "Wait till next season" was all we heard on here. This article is a year old, a pre-draft piece from last year. I bet if you asked him now who he'd rather have, Trubisky, Watson or McCarron, he'd probably have a very different answer.

IMHO Polian was underestimating Trubisky, Mahomet, Watson, etc., the way most people did at the time.

If McCarron can become a reliable long term back up QB for the Bills  I will be one happy camper.

Anymore would be winning the lottery (we are overdue  :) )

Edited by ALF
  • Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

But you folks remember how undersold Trubisky, Watson, etc. were before the draft. "Wait till next season" was all we heard on here. This article is a year old, a pre-draft piece from last year. I bet if you asked him now who he'd rather have, Trubisky, Watson or McCarron, he'd probably have a very different answer.

IMHO Polian was underestimating Trubisky, Mahomet, Watson, etc., the way most people did at the time.

Or, maybe McCarron is better than all those guys and Bills have their franchise QB.  Maybe in 2 years, McCarron is the franchise and Lamar is a budding WR, and Polian is being touted as a genius.  Or probably not.

• Like (+1) 1