Self-Driving Uber Car Kills Arizona Pedestrian

Punching Bag

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

Looks like she was ÜberedL/. Who gets the ticket - the safety driver, the vehicle, the engineer or the numbskull bureaucract who approved it?

The Uber vehicle was in autonomous mode with a human safety driver at the wheel when it struck the woman, who was crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, the Tempe police said in a statement. 

10 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Looks like she was ÜberedL/. Who gets the ticket - the safety driver, the vehicle, the engineer or the numbskull bureaucract who approved it?

Crossing outside of a crosswalk can mean a lot of things. There's jaywalking, and then there's the people who dart out into the street like a frightened deer without any warning. 

I am very familiar with this. My wife to I had been married for three months to crossed the road at in intersection but out of the crosswalk (she was walking ahead of the crosswalk) and was hit by a car who did not even slow down as he went around a corner dragging her.

The driver was not cited for speed despite proof he was going too fast.  No expenses including plastic surgery were paid because if you are partially liable you can not make claim according to VA law according to attorney we contacted.

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

Arizona said they wouldn't let government get in the way of self-driving auto technology. Viva le free market!

People on bikes do whatever the heck they want from any direction in any situation, today one came from the sidewalk on the left side of the street, across three lanes at good speed and cut inches in front of my car as I slowly turned right into my parking garage, the bike swerving hard and narrowly missing two people and a woman pushing a baby carriage as he got onto the right sidewalk 

they are inventing new ways to beg to be killed every day out there  

you cant teach each nuance and different rules of the road in every neighbourhood to a computer

Along with car drivers breaking the rules of the road to be kind to others, at their whim 

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

I'd rather have self-driving cars with built-in safety features than nearly any human driver at the wheel.  Tragic that this one person died. Now, how many pedestrians traffic deaths happened today involving a human driver at the wheel? (A quick search says 15 per day!)

For the elderly and for the blind self-driving cars are the key to personal freedom (well, as "free" as GPS tracking can be).  They will also free up people who hate to drive, end driving while impaired,  end falling asleep at the wheel, etc. Taking the human error out of everyday driving will save a lot of lives.

If self-driving cars were to become mandatory, I'd object. But as an aid to the elderly and handicapped alone, self-driving cars are a dream come true for many.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I'd say the chances are greater than zero that the safety driver faces some sort of negligence charge despite the pedestrian's erratic behavior.

Good.  Don't jay walk.  Now pedestrians can return to the day when they actually had to think.  Is it going to hit me? At least this incident puts a little "spring in back in everybody's step."  Is it a robot that doesn't givens scheist or is it human.

Hope she wasn't wearing earphones, earpods or whatever the people bubble in nowadays.

9 hours ago, row_33 said:

People on bikes do whatever the heck they want from any direction in any situation, today one came from the sidewalk on the left side of the street, across three lanes at good speed and cut inches in front of my car as I slowly turned right into my parking garage, the bike swerving hard and narrowly missing two people and a woman pushing a baby carriage as he got onto the right sidewalk 

they are inventing new ways to beg to be killed every day out there  

you cant teach each nuance and different rules of the road in every neighbourhood to a computer

Along with car drivers breaking the rules of the road to be kind to others, at their whim 

Yep... Keep them on their toes too... Just downtown on Friday, hipster on bike blowing redlight after redlight early. Beating the delay.  I pulled up along side him, rolled down window and said: "Wouldn't it be special if another vehicle came through the green/yellow the other way?  I am just looking out for your safety Pal!"  All cool, he was wearing his earphones, he didn't hear me... I couldn't annoy him. He didn't have time for that.

The "bubble" is such a special place.

We need more self-driving vehicles to legally go through a green or yellow and smear bicycles.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I think truly autonomous vehicles aren't going to happen for a very long time for two reasons.  

Right now the AI has to be programmed in an "either/or" fashion  to "protect car occupants at all costs, sacrificing everything else" or "protect pedestrians at all costs, everything else is expendable."  

The AI can't make judgement calls like human beings can (if we choose to).  It can't reconcile injury vs. death.  The car can't say "well if I don't hit the pedestrian, I'll probably injur my riders by avoiding that person.  However, it's likely nobody will die."  They can't compute those options yet.  

Secondly, who is at fault in this case?  Is it the car manufacturer?  The sensor manufacturer?  Programmer?  Software?  The insurance companies aren't going to insure such vehicles until that's been decided.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Fetou said:

Crossing outside of a crosswalk can mean a lot of things. There's jaywalking, and then there's the people who dart out into the street like a frightened deer without any warning. 

Did you type that in 'computer voice'?

11 hours ago, johndhall1 said:

Meanwhile, 40 pedestrians run over by NYC cabbies ;)

Yeah, and there are the same number of pedestrians in NYC (vs. Phoenix), too.

How many cars with drivers exist on the planet vs. driverless cars?  What's the ratio of cars with drivers killing pedestrians vs. driverless cars killing pedestrians?  Looks like they haven't worked out all the bugs.

2 hours ago, snafu said:

How many cars with drivers exist on the planet vs. driverless cars?  What's the ratio of cars with drivers killing pedestrians vs. driverless cars killing pedestrians?  Looks like they haven't worked out all the bugs.

What better person to work out the bugs than snafu!  Who seconds the motion?

:D

32 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

What better person to work out the bugs than snafu!  Who seconds the motion?

:D

Im not working out bugs, even if nominated.  Let all the dead pedestrians sue Uber, not me.

However, I will volunteer to make sure the Chinese BJ machine is installed.  That and a wet bar. And I will ensure that a robot monkey is behind the wheel, just for looks. 

5 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think truly autonomous vehicles aren't going to happen for a very long time for two reasons.  

Right now the AI has to be programmed in an "either/or" fashion  to "protect car occupants at all costs, sacrificing everything else" or "protect pedestrians at all costs, everything else is expendable."  

The AI can't make judgement calls like human beings can (if we choose to).  It can't reconcile injury vs. death.  The car can't say "well if I don't hit the pedestrian, I'll probably injur my riders by avoiding that person.  However, it's likely nobody will die."  They can't compute those options yet.  

Secondly, who is at fault in this case?  Is it the car manufacturer?  The sensor manufacturer?  Programmer?  Software?  The insurance companies aren't going to insure such vehicles until that's been decided.  

Who's at fault?  Depends on how good the pedestrian's family's lawyeris & who has the deepest pockets. ;)

39 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

There was a human in the car behind the wheel.   Did they not see this person as they jumped out into traffic?  

Too bad. 

I get that response every time I close the lock gates and a pleasure craft misses the lock and may have to wait hours (seldom). Sorry Snowflakes, gotta wait for the next lockage.  

Wanna come in... Run the gates.  Take your chance getting squashed like a bug.

Nothing would get done if the "human heart" was behind every operation.

What I said in my posts above.  The next person will think twice about jaywalking in AZ now.

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Too bad. 

I get that response every time I close the lock gates and a pleasure craft misses the lock and may have to wait hours (seldom). Sorry Snowflakes, gotta wait for the next lockage.  

Wanna come in... Run the gates.  Take your chance getting squashed like a bug.

Nothing would get done if the "human heart" was behind every operation.

What I said in my posts above.  The next person will think twice about jaywalking in AZ now.

hard to pass blame w/o the full story.  

people do some dumbshit 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dpberr said:

The person at fault is likely the moron crossing outside of a crosswalk.  They are there for a reason,  and it isn't because they are pretty to look at. 

6 hours ago, snafu said:

Car didn't see a crosswalk, so didn't stop.

Seems like they've worked out all the bugs, and it worked just fine.