Ten Reasons to Not Get QB Drunk in the Draft

Irv

5 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I assume by this logic we should draft any QB from Purdue or Tennessee, because of Drew Breese and Peyton Manning

ALSO TOM BRADY WAS a 6TH RD PICK, NO NEED TO DRAFT A QB HIGH!!!!!!!

Tom Brady is the outlier, not the norm

Saying that is akin to saying...I don't need to save for retirement, I'll just get lottery money

5 minutes ago, Xerx said:

Tom Brady is the outlier, not the norm

Saying that is akin to saying...I don't need to save for retirement, I'll just get lottery money

The problem is ... there IS no "norm"

It makes no difference if you draft a QB with the #1 pick like Luck or Manning, or pick him in the later rounds like Brady or Brees, or even pick up as an undrafted free agent like Romo or Warner.

The basic talents need to be noticed, the QB has to be in the proper system, and the QB has to have a surrounding cast to enable him to succeed. While I will agree the higher percentage of success in finding the most "gifted" athlete lies in the top draft picks, but there are various intangibles that come into play with the QB position, if a team relies just on physical gifts you end up with a JaMarcus Russell. I would hazard to guess somewhere in those 22 QBs that have played for the Brown this last decade there were a gem or two ... they just didn't have the infrastructure to support him.

I do believe the Bills will draft a QB, who he is I haven't a clue. I have MY favorite, and it's easy for me to say the Bills should trade our entire draft for the next three years to get him, but the fact of the matter is the Bills have their list of not only who they like, but it's in the order of HOW MUCH they like him and are willing to pay in draft picks to get him.

Trust the process ... have faith in Beane/McDermott, they'll find some talent and they won't mortgage the future to get him.

46 minutes ago, CountDorkula said:

I assume by this logic we should draft any QB from Purdue or Tennessee, because of Drew Breese and Peyton Manning

ALSO TOM BRADY WAS a 6TH RD PICK, NO NEED TO DRAFT A QB HIGH!!!!!!!

Hey genius, nowhere have I referred to Brady.  Check your hysteria and actually read for a second.  And your statement about Brees and Manning is completely out of left field.

What I and others have said for quite a while now is if Beane sees a guy he thinks he has to have (like Rosen) then he should spend whatever capital he has to have to get him.  But if he does not, then he should identify a guy he is happy getting, and figure out if he can get him by either staying at 12 or 22 or make a smaller move to get ahead of say a Miami. 

It is not about just picking a Qb to pick a QB.  That is what it seems you want.  Pick the right QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Two year ago none of us would've expected Foles to be super bowl MVP. The Eagles have a talent level advantage, 2 big WR's a good runnng game and top 3 TE allowed Foles to play above his normal level. 

If you put McCarron in the same situation I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up good passing numbers.

1 hour ago, oldmanfan said:

Of these I remain absolutely perplexed why people insist on including guys like Mahomes, who has shown nothing yet and Trubisky who has a long way to go. Aand knowing what you know now, if you had to give up a ton of picks to move up to get Winston or Mariotta, not me.  They have been spotty thus far.   Stafford has also not led his team to anything.  Would I have given up the farm for Stafford knowing what I know now?  Nope.

It comes down to what Beane thinks the potential is for each of these guys.  He can make a huge move or not, or ait for the inevitable fall from grace for one of them.  He has a ton of cards to play.

Stafford is a great example... costly to keep but never quite over the hump

1 hour ago, N.Y. Orangeman said:

DXkLTuxVQAET7y2.thumb.jpg.a3617123e5d55c8bd105aa07d6824fb3.jpg

Fine if we insist on recycling  this elementary school stat line: 

starting championship QBs- 

Picks 1-5 since 1990- 6%

picks 6-32- 11.1%

I prefer Super Bowl wins over appearances and probowls thanks. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Name

Round

Pick

Jeff George

Tim Couch

Akili Smith

Rick Mirer

Heath Shuler

Art Schlichter

JaMarcus Russell

Ryan Leaf

Mark Sanchez

Joey Harrington

But that won't happen this time. 

12 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Two year ago none of us would've expected Foles to be super bowl MVP. The Eagles have a talent level advantage, 2 big WR's a good runnng game and top 3 TE allowed Foles to play above his normal level. 

If you put McCarron in the same situation I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up good passing numbers.

Which is why you should put some people around him via the draft this spring.

7 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Should ask for him to check this in case I missed one 

starting championship QBs- 

Picks 1-5 since 1990- 6%

picks 6-32- 11.1%

Football is the ultimate team game. Put Philip Rivers on the Broncos, and he's the qb for multiple super bowl winning teams. Same goes for Drew Brees on the Ravens. QB is the most important position by far, but the QB can't do everything. They can only control what they control. 

1 hour ago, Irv said:

Name

Round

Pick

Jeff George

Tim Couch

Akili Smith

Rick Mirer

Heath Shuler

Art Schlichter

JaMarcus Russell

Ryan Leaf

Mark Sanchez

Joey Harrington

oy...

you do realize someone can make a list that is literally the exact opposite correct?

All this does is confirm a glass half empty view on your behalf. 

Why does it seem like a good idea to post a list of busts when a list of hits can just as easily exist?

troll on my man, troll on 

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Football is the ultimate team game. Put Philip Rivers on the Broncos, and he's the qb for multiple super bowl winning teams. Same goes for Drew Brees on the Ravens. QB is the most important position by far, but the QB can't do everything. They can only control what they control. 

Is the a pro blow the wad and get a top 5 pick for qb or against sentiment  ?

1 minute ago, gobills1212 said:

oy...

you do realize someone can make a list that is literally the exact opposite correct?

All this does is confirm a glass half empty view on your behalf. 

Why does it seem like a good idea to post a list of busts when a list of hits can just as easily exist?

troll on my man, troll on 

I think the idea is more that it’s hit and miss.  There are no sure things this year, and the 5th or 6th guy taken may end up being the best.

Important to consider in this wave of trade up fever.  We give up a huge amount of team building to make a move to the top.  If that guys busts or even disappoints, it sets the Bills back years.

1 minute ago, Success said:

I think the idea is more that it’s hit and miss.  There are no sure things this year, and the 5th or 6th guy taken may end up being the best.

Important to consider in this wave of trade up fever.  We give up a huge amount of team building to make a move to the top.  If that guys busts or even disappoints, it sets the Bills back years.

well ya... but i think we are dealing with a certain level of things being assumed at this point.

a possible bust is one of them.

These guys have to address this and the plan seems smart ASSUMING that they LOVE a guy.

If they keep kicking the qb can to the next year it will continue to prolong the inevitable. 

Many people look at everything done thus far as accumulating this cache of draft currency as ammo for a qb. It started as soon as last years trade happened.

So, as they may never have the ammo again, and hopefully wont be bad enough to be #1 or #2 on their own, dont have a young qb, have a quality class with a few top tier options, the time is now. Their jobs may even depend on it to a degree, but that cant scare them away from it. Waiting until a year with no blue chippers could have the same effect. IMO, theyve earned their chance for our trust for them to take a swing.

I hope they swing away

• Like (+1) 1