Time for Beane to Call Gettleman - Beane Says the Bills Have the Capital to Get to #2

Ranking the NFL teams most likely to trade up to draft a QB

1. Buffalo Bills

This is the most obvious choice. The Bills already moved up from No. 21 to No. 12 in a deal that sent left tackle Cordy Glenn to Cincinnati, and they still hold the No. 22 overall pick. Having two first-rounders gives Buffalo a unique ability to maneuver in the first round, and having unproven options AJ McCarron and Nathan Peterman on the roster gives the team motivation. Problem is, the old draft value chart developed by Jimmy Johnson assigns a point value of 1,200 to the No. 12 pick and 800 to the No. 21 pick, which adds up to 2,000 and is therefore a bit less than, say, the 2,600 points assigned to the Giants' No. 2 pick. So if the Bills want to jump the Jets, it's going to take more than just their two 2018 first-rounders. Buffalo might be better off eyeing the Browns' No. 4 overall pick, though by that point, the Bills could be left with their fourth-choice quarterback.

25 minutes ago, BillsEnthusiast said:

I think we need to make sure the Browns are taking Darnold at 1. Just like the Eagles were sure the Rams were taking Goff. As soon as that happens, then things can be put in motion.

Absolutely, especially since the Giants would absolutely pounce if Darnold was there at two.

Darnold needs to go first overall and then I think things can get rolling, but it's hard for Buffalo, because to have to wait until the Browns make their pick to make the trade into the top ten, then all the way up to two.

26 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I like it.  Dave may be looking at them for the Giants but hey share the notes you have on them :)  How were they in the interviews and would you take one of these guys at two? If so which one?  Be a good friend Dave 

Image result for thumbs up

2 minutes ago, BillsFan17 said:

Now McShay hearing some buzz about Buffalo potentially getting that second overall.

43 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

McShay has the Bills trading up to 2 to select Allen.  Kiper has them staying but at 12 and 22 to select Termaine Edmunds and Lamar Jackson.

At 53 Kiper has the Bills selecting Courtland Sutton.  At 56 Kiper goes with CB Carlton Davis while McShay has WR James Washington.

8 minutes ago, 4thandGoal said:

and thats what it is--just a buzz. Why would Gettleman even commit to trading down right now? he can wait to the draft and either get a better offer or select Darnold if Cleveland doesnt. 

Why would the colts commit? This pessimism about the bills has been beaten into us for 18 years, but get a grip guys. We have to get past this "what can go wrong will go wrong" moping. It is getting old.

Edited by What a Tuel

If the Bills move all the way to #2 pick ( still a big IF) it won't be for Allen 

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

Why would the colts commit?

It's a fair question, but look at the move. It was 3 picks for 3spots, and the Colts aren't taking a QB. There was almost zero risk for the Colts losing out on any player, and are still in prime position to move down again. The Giants would be moving out of the top ten, so it's not an apples to apples thing. There's still talk of a QB for them at 2 depending on CLE pick. Seems they are in wait and see mode. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, horned dogs said:

Not a chance, they do all that to get a huge project, one who is likely the number 4 QB prospect in the draft. Nope

I still think he goes #1 to Cleveland.   However, to your point if you move to #2 it's for whoever you like most, who you also think the Jets covet.  In this case I'd say thats Rosen.

Just now, thenorthremembers said:

I still think he goes #1 to Cleveland.   However, to your point if you move to #2 it's for whoever you like most, who you also think the Jets covet.  In this case I'd say thats Rosen.

I think Allen will go in the first, I just believe teams are using him at the top to divert intentions.

You are correct about Rosen.

10 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

If the Bills move all the way to #2 pick ( still a big IF) it won't be for Allen 

It's a fair question, but look at the move. It was 3 picks for 3spots, and the Colts aren't taking a QB. There was almost zero risk for the Colts losing out on any player, and are still in prime position to move down again. The Giants would be moving out of the top ten, so it's not an apples to apples thing. There's still talk of a QB for them at 2 depending on CLE pick. Seems they are in wait and see mode. 

It is plenty of risk. The top 5 picks are not going QB because like you say in this very post, teams are only interested if "their guy" will be there - i.e. Giants and Darnold. So it is very risky for the Colts to trade back to 6 bc the Browns and Broncos may pick the guy they wanted, not to mention the Giants picking a non QB.

It only feels like wait and see mode bc we literally don't know what will happen. We have no reports of the Giants rejecting or sitting on an offer.

46 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

We'll see what happens on draft night but my guess is that Rosen is #4 on the Jets list.

35 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

It is plenty of risk. The top 5 picks are not going QB because like you say in this very post, teams are only interested if "their guy" will be there - i.e. Giants and Darnold. So it is very risky for the Colts to trade back to 6 bc the Browns and Broncos may pick the guy they wanted, not to mention the Giants picking a non QB.

It only feels like wait and see mode bc we literally don't know what will happen. We have no reports of the Giants rejecting or sitting on an offer.

Colts have a ton of holes, and there will be lots of action on QBs at the top of the draft. They don't need a specific player, and there's a fair chance their choice at 3 will be there at 6 anyway. Jets are going QB at 3, so it's really just two spots for the Colts to wait at 4 and 5. One of those may be another QB. It's not much risk at all for Colts GM Ballard, but it IS tremendous value. 3 second rounders almost for doing nothing. The Giants situation is different, as they seem to have some interest in a specific QB.