3-16: Brandon Beane Presser at 10 AM ET - Big Free Agent Spending Is Done

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to 3-16: Brandon Beane Presser at 10 AM ET - Big Free Agent Spending Is Done

BRANDON BEANE: "LOOKING FOR GOOD FOOTBALL PLAYERS" (18:27)
Bills General Manager Brandon Beane addressed the media Friday topics include; free agency, the quarterback position, and the upcoming draft.

QUICK HITS - BEANE: BIG FREE AGENT SPENDING IS DONE

031618-beane.jpg

Bills GM Brandon Beane covered the week that was in terms of player acquisition, trades and the upcoming draft now that the team's drafts assets are improved.

With only 65 under contract. And expectation that some of the picks will be needed to move up higher for the QB. 

Expect a pretty big UDFA class and some vet min contracts. Gotta get 25 more players to get to 90

they also get some cap relief come June 1 when Wood officially retires. 

Edited by MAJBobby

16 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

With only 65 under contract. And expectation that some of the picks will be needed to move up higher for the QB. 

Expect a pretty big UDFA class and some vet min contracts. Gotta get 25 more players to get to 90

they also get some cap relief come June 1 when Wood officially retires. 

65 under contract and not all of them will even make the roster. Getting to 90 is just numbers - we're just gonna sign people with upside at vet mins and rookie FAs. I'm much more concerned with the fact that we still don't have legit candidates for starters at MLB, SLB, CB3 and WR3 (not counting QB in this because you COULD argue we can start McCarron, though I'm not making that argument). Doubtful we can pick up more than 3 solid starters in a single class. I'm hoping we re-sign Gaines and Johnson. 

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Why would Giants trade out of #2 right now, not knowing what Cleveland will do at #1.

If Cleveland takes QB, Giants stay put and draft Barkley, so we're on the phone with Colts.

If Cleveland takes Barkley, Giants look to move, and we're on the phone with them.

If Cleveland takes Barkley, and Giants surprise everyone and takes a QB, then we're on the phone with the Colts.

That wont be determined until about 8:15pm on April 26th.

Seeing how the Colts need a DE wouldn't be surprised to see Beane offer up Hughes in addition to picks to move up to # 3.

2 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Seeing how the Colts need a DE wouldn't be surprised to see Beane offer up Hughes in addition to picks to move up to # 3.

Could. But would be weird sending him back to the team he couldnt develop on. Running basically the same D he failed in. Still an interesting idea though.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Could. But would be interesting sending him back to the team he couldnt develop on. Running basically the same D he failed in. Still an interesting idea though.

Colts looks like they are switching back to a 4-3 this year.

http://www.colts.com/news/article-1/Matt-Eberflus-Discusses-Colts’-Transition-To-4-3-Base-Defense/84bf9df7-ada0-49c2-88d1-f26f60c10cd8

2 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

But would the Colts take a guy they drafted and let go back or has the bridge sailed for them?  They'd probably ask for Shaq instead.

8 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:
Benjamin Allbright Retweeted
BRGVH5Zg_bigger.jpgNick Wojton @Nick_Wojton 4h4 hours ago
Post-presser Brandon Beane confirms he's met with QB prospects Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Baker Mayfield & Josh Allen, specifically, at either the combine or Senior Bowl. #Bills
image.png.12da1453ff50891b8372acbcfeb34851.png

Does the Magic Beane also sell bridges?

36 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think if they really want a pass rusher, they'll stay at #3 and take Chubb.

They could but Hughes's contract is manageable. They get a proven pass rusher and a number of additional picks to help fill other positions as well. Seems like a Win Win for both teams.  

3 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

They could but Hughes's contract is manageable. They get a proven pass rusher and a number of additional picks to help fill other positions as well. Seems like a Win Win for both teams.  

I'm 50/50 on what I think make sense.  On one hand, Chubb is the best pass rusher and there really a close second.  Indy just can't get to the QB since the Freeney/Mathis days.

On the other hand, the Colts are filled with holes.  They could probably get a decent pass rushing prospect like Marcus Davenport at #12 and like you said...additional picks on top of that.

11 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Dawkins?   At this point it would be Connor McDermott, but I can't imagine that they won't add another OT in the draft. 

Yeah, brain not working today.   I guess my point is we dont have a swing tackle right now.  I don't have much faith in Connor McDermott.  Agree draft one.....

Edited by mattynh