Who is your favorite free agent signing so far?

Logic

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Great topic and good question.

So I have to categorize this in a few different buckets.

Who do I believe will have the biggest impact?   Star Lotulelei - His stats won't be eye popping but I believe he will make the rest of the defense better because of his ability to clog the middle.  Being able to help stop the run will force more teams to throwing the ball more and giving opposing offenses more third and longs which plays right into our DB's strengths.

Who do I believe will grade out as the highest pickup?  Vontae Davis -   Despite his recent downturn I believe he will bounce back.  I think under McD he will get back to basics and at this stage of his career going more into zone coverage will play into his strengths and not expose him as much due to him losing a step speedwise.  Why do I think it's playing into his strength, because he has always been good at playing the ball and he is a ferocious tackler which is what is needed in McD's defensive scheme.  I think he's going to excel this year.

Who do I believe is going to be the bargain pickup?  McCarron Don't get me wrong, I don't believe he will be the franchise QB, but I do believe he will be serviceable and I do believe that he will be about on par with TT.  Not the same type of player as TT but about the same overall impact which was OK.   And getting an OK QB while we are grooming our franchise QB at the price we got him for would be amazing.

Who do I believe will be the biggest fan favorite? Murphy -  I don't believe he is just going to be a fan favorite, but I also believe he is going to be highly productive.  We desperately need to be able to get after the QB better than we did last year.  He will help us do that.  I think he's going to be stout against the run, I believe he will get after the QB and I do believe he will embrace the city and instantly become one of our favorites.

Very good post, and I agree with all of it.

Star should have the biggest long term impact on the team, but AJ is the best value signing by far. I guess it depends on how you look at it. 

Still, both Murphy and Davis deals have plenty of upside. I'm really happy with the offseason as a whole so far. 

9 minutes ago, NewDayBills said:

I'm pretty underwhelmed by everything, but that's free agency for you in a nutshell. The really good players almost never make it to free agency in their prime, sure it happens, but it's definitely not the standard.

Dude , star and Murphy are studs

24 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Dude , star and Murphy are studs

They may be good players, but not difference makers. Definitely think they'll improve the team, but in order to get they elite guys, you have to draft those kind of players. There are exceptions of course, but most of the time in free agency you greatly overpay for what you get.

10 hours ago, TaskerTough said:

No. He's a scratch golfer, has incredible burst speed, and swims like an otter. Ask anyone.  

You're totally right, actually.

What I SHOULD have said is that he's not the cookie cutter prototype for a successful DT. It's why he lasted until the 5th round. Strange build, short arms, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Kyle at all. As I said, he's my favorite Buffalo Bill of all time. Him running in a touchdown in the Dolphins game actually caused me to get choked up for a minute. Told everyone I was having allergy issues.

19 hours ago, simool said:

I like the McCarron signing but I am a sucker for an underdog.

Murph is going to be a solid pickup.

He may start. If they ain't sold on Shaq, trade him. I gotta trust it.

6 minutes ago, Logic said:

You're totally right, actually.

What I SHOULD have said is that he's not the cookie cutter prototype for a successful DT. It's why he lasted until the 5th round. Strange build, short arms, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not knocking Kyle at all. As I said, he's my favorite Buffalo Bill of all time. Him running in a touchdown in the Dolphins game actually caused me to get choked up for a minute. Told everyone I was having allergy issues.

So did I! That was good stuff, man! And well deserved!

21 hours ago, elroy16 said:

Murphy is my favorite. They desperately needed upgrade the pass rush and it looks like they've done that with a blue collar, tough SOB. He's got great length and looks like he has a few OK pass rushing moves. The article below shows some of the moves he uses. He's not a refined pass rusher yet, but is still in his prime and it's unreasonable to think he could get better.

All-22 analysis: Buffalo Bills free agent defensive end/linebacker Trent Murphy

Star has the potential to have the biggest impact, just because I think his position has the best chance to make people around him better. Even if he's holding double teams or pushing the pocket, he can make the rest of the line better against the run and pass and keep LB's clean to make plays. 

I pretty much love what they're doing this offseason. They're finding guys that fit major needs at reasonable prices. I'm 100% on board with spending money on the D-line. Imagine if these guys pan out as well as Hyde and Poyer.

Are you saying that you think he can't get any better and has reached his full potential? I'm guessing that you meant that it's not unreasonable to think that he can get better. Only asking because it seems a little contradictory otherwise.

23 hours ago, Magox said:

Great topic and good question.

So I have to categorize this in a few different buckets.

Who do I believe will have the biggest impact?   Star Lotulelei - His stats won't be eye popping but I believe he will make the rest of the defense better because of his ability to clog the middle.  Being able to help stop the run will force more teams to throwing the ball more and giving opposing offenses more third and longs which plays right into our DB's strengths.

Who do I believe will grade out as the highest pickup?  Vontae Davis -   Despite his recent downturn I believe he will bounce back.  I think under McD he will get back to basics and at this stage of his career going more into zone coverage will play into his strengths and not expose him as much due to him losing a step speedwise.  Why do I think it's playing into his strength, because he has always been good at playing the ball and he is a ferocious tackler which is what is needed in McD's defensive scheme.  I think he's going to excel this year.

Who do I believe is going to be the bargain pickup?  McCarron Don't get me wrong, I don't believe he will be the franchise QB, but I do believe he will be serviceable and I do believe that he will be about on par with TT.  Not the same type of player as TT but about the same overall impact which was OK.   And getting an OK QB while we are grooming our franchise QB at the price we got him for would be amazing.

Who do I believe will be the biggest fan favorite? Murphy -  I don't believe he is just going to be a fan favorite, but I also believe he is going to be highly productive.  We desperately need to be able to get after the QB better than we did last year.  He will help us do that.  I think he's going to be stout against the run, I believe he will get after the QB and I do believe he will embrace the city and instantly become one of our favorites.

thanks, you saved me a lot of typing

The more I think about it, or find out other information, the more I like the Davis signing.

Filled a need, at good value, and when reading about the upcoming draft classes strengths depth etc. it seems as though quality outside corners, are in short supply, both literally and figuratively.

From what I'm reading elsewhere, there is a lot of talent at CB, but it all pretty much translates to nickel type guys, in part due to a lack of inches/length (at least from the guys with the most ability).

While I'm sure there will be the odd guy who ends up being a good 'outside' corner, it isn't going to be so easy to identify one.

This means that the Davis signing, has much more significance, than first realized, and why I'm lliking it more and more.

Previously, it would have been Star, as with the departure of Dareus, it became an obvious necessity. For all the Kyle Williams love (obviously justifiable), big space eating run stuffing, is not his forte, and he is far better with one alongside of him.

I like the McCarron signing for genuine competition, and the notion that if he hadn't been stuck behind Dalton,  who has largely stayed healthy, there might be more interest around the league. The Browns may well have done us a big favor there, by messing up the trade, and consequently taking Tyrod off of our hands. If McCarron had made it to the Browns, this conversation may not be happening, as he might have played well enough for them not to have traded for Taylor.

I would have liked the Murphy signing, if it wasn't for the PED suspension. Pass rush was a need, and there ain't much in the upcoming draft. Thing is, I can't seem to get this image out of my head of a steroid fuelled, late night drive, up to Buffalo.

I also like the re-signing of Cadet, who I think is the perfect pass catching and speed complement, to Shady and Ivory. I think it gives us a terrific balance at RB for next season.