Brady Quinn (CBS Sports) now projecting we trade up to take Josh Allen?!

http://cbsprt.co/2HCCmDV

The video has Brady Quinn's mock with the Bills moving up to take Allen 2nd overall...

I've been under the impression that Allen was a mid-round talent that could drop even further since he's so raw, and basically just has the prototypical QB "look," without the accolades & accomplishments to go with it.

Why would anyone TRADE UP to grab him? Maybe trade down, but into the top 3 and #2 overall?! The old Bills regimes were known for a few reaches, but this would be an even riskier one. Is there any talk of us having our sights set on him?

Granted it's just one mock, but we've seen this show before. A QB who's average-above average but with the look and size moves up not based on his on-field play, but his measurements/combine/pro-day/etc. as the draft gets closer. Really hoping there isn't a bigger thing going on behind the scenes here where people from OBD are lapping up Allen's "ceiling" & media members are catching wind of this.

Thankfully, this mock also by CBS Sports has us moving up to #3 & grabbing Darnold (who's actually the highest rated by NFL.com draft profile of any QB the past several years) - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bills-trade-up-into-top-five-for-qb-saquon-barkley-drops/  and looks more realistic. Oddly, it also has Allen ranked high, this time at #1 overall.

According to NFL.com, Allen is rated a 6.01, Mayfield a 6.03,  Rosen a 6.19,  and Darnold a 7.0.

Why are teams so enamored with Allen?

Edited by BigDingus
  • Like (+1) 2

Just now, Domdab99 said:

Who gives a **** what Brady Quinn says?

Multiple mocks have Allen now a top 3 QB, potentially even #1 overall (like the 2nd link I posted).

My question is why, and are there rumblings the Bills are targeting him that I've missed?

Here we go, this page shows all of their picks - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/

Pete Prisco has the Bills taking Josh Allen at #3

Brady Quinn has the Bills taking Josh Allen at #2

Will Brinson has the Browns taking Josh Allen at #1

Chris Trapasso has the Browns taking Josh Allen at #1

RJ White has the Browns taking Josh Allen at #1

Ryan Wilson has the Giants taking Josh Allen at #1

So wtf happened that shot Josh Allen up to #1? Look at his game log, he's not good against good teams, and has a mid 50% accuracy with ok numbers. 

Edited by BigDingus

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

Here we go, this page shows all of their picks - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-draft/

So wtf happened that shot Josh Allen up to #1? Look at his game log, he's not good against good teams, and has a mid 50% accuracy with ok numbers. 

He can throw a football 61mph. :lol:

1 minute ago, BigDingus said:

What happened is NFL GMs know how to play their cards. They have their eyes set on a guy or guys, and a good way to keep that secret is to give the impression that that person is someone else. 

Allen is the perfect pawn.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

http://cbsprt.co/2HCCmDV

The video has Brady Quinn's mock with the Bills moving up to take Allen 2nd overall...

I've been under the impression that Allen was a mid-round talent that could drop even further since he's so raw, and basically just has the prototypical QB "look," without the accolades & accomplishments to go with it.

Why would anyone TRADE UP to grab him? Maybe trade down, but into the top 3 and #2 overall?! The old Bills regimes were known for a few reaches, but this would be an even riskier one. Is there any talk of us having our sights set on him?

Granted it's just one mock, but we've seen this show before. A QB who's average-above average but with the look and size moves up not based on his on-field play, but his measurements/combine/pro-day/etc. as the draft gets closer. Really hoping there isn't a bigger thing going on behind the scenes here where people from OBD are lapping up Allen's "ceiling" & media members are catching wind of this.

Thankfully, this mock also by CBS Sports has us moving up to #3 & grabbing Darnold (who's actually the highest rated by NFL.com draft profile of any QB the past several years) - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-mock-draft-bills-trade-up-into-top-five-for-qb-saquon-barkley-drops/  and looks more realistic.

Nothing to see here, Dingus. 

1) a bunch of pundits have been Mocking Josh Allen very high and further pumping him up since the Combine.

Mayock has Darnold and Allen ahead of Rosen.

Kiper has Allen going #1 overall to the Browns, and as the top QB on his mock.

I'd love to know how often those guys are right.  I remember Kiper on The Pickle (can't miss, he'd retire if he doesn't succeed) and Gabbert (#1 overall!)

There's all kind of stuff about how Allen "Won the Combine"

2) a bunch of pundits have been Mocking Allen to the Bills for weeks - Ben Allbright is one, Daniel Jeremiah has us trading up to #3 and taking Allen!

Sounds like Brady Quinn is basically just copying them.   Lately Allbright has been saying Allen/Rosen to Bills.  Which means Bills probably want Darnold or Baker.

Count me as not on the Allen train.  I want Rosen or Mayfield based on what they show on game film.  I don't like Darnold's throwing motion at all.  I don't like the way Allen responds to pressure in the pocket, nor his mechanics.  But that's just me, and in addition to my limited film skills of course I don't know what kind of football knowledge these guys have or how they come across in person.

12 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What most fans don't understand is Allen is the #2 QB. We don't like it but he is rated higher than Rosen and Mayfield.

I think we understand this, the question is what are the chops of the people doing this rating, and what is their basis for it?

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Multiple mocks have Allen now a top 3 QB, potentially even #1 overall (like the 2nd link I posted).

My question is why, and are there rumblings the Bills are targeting him that I've missed?

Multiple mocks had us taking Paxton Lynch a few years ago.  Ian Rapoport even said 5 minutes before our pick that we would select Lynch.

12 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

What most fans don't understand is Allen is the #2 QB. We don't like it but he is rated higher than Rosen and Mayfield.

He's really not though.. He's rated low on every chart.

NFL.com's draft profiles have him as the worst, and this one - https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/prospect-rankings/quarterbacks/ has him ranked the 6th best QB prospect...

Everywhere I search, he's bottom of the barrel in terms of top names, and even when breaking down by skill set, he's ranked dead last in nearly every category except for arm strength & mobility.