Sal says UFA QB's was not the Bills plan

10 minutes ago, greeneblitz said:

You think its their plan or its yours????? Mayfield's personality is what we finally need on this team, his "issues" are way, way, way overblown. The kid had one incident which was basically a fight.

I just don't see his personality meshing with McDermott or Beane. I'm guessing they don't want their starting QB constantly writing checks (talking) that their team has to help cash week after week.

Yes, I personally would not draft Mayfield, and I would rather they draft Jackson who I think is not only a much better prospect, but who's a genuinely good guy that professional players will love to play for and have as their leader. Mayfield's brash "look at me" style wears thin fast in the NFL.

30 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...the "legal" non-tampering and eventual 4PM FA start has passed and the feeding frenzy is dying down...."cat 'n mouse game is on......Bflo was hinting about releasing Cassell back in 2015 and his agent put a proposal on the table which Whaley balked at......he was then released.......within three days, his agent caved to get his client a job and he re-signed with Bflo.....I'd bet agents are working the phones right now with known teams possibly looking for a bridge vet if their guy was nt in the "first wave"......McBeane is in the catbird seat letting those calls go to voice mail momentarily.......my unsubstantiated GUESS is that he has terms and dollars in mind.............

Cool.  We'll be in awesome position to put Kellen Clemens over the barrel in negotiations.

1 hour ago, 1billsfan said:

IMO, I think this might be the possible order of the Bills thinking...

Plan A: Rosen (moving up)

Plan B: Jackson (staying put)

Plan C: Foles (all 1st rd QBs gone, couldn't get a trade done situation)

I think Darnold is going #1, Allen is too much of a project and Mayfield is possibly off their board because his amped up, in your face, personality is too much.

Eagles want better than a 1st AND a 4th for Foles.

This has been said like 100000 times.

They don't want to budge.

I don't know why people keep slinging Foles' name like he's gonna be cheap, or even an option, because of Beane gives up that for him, he should be drawn and quartered.

13 minutes ago, DefenseWins said:

I like Mayfield too. But if McBean thinks Darnold or Rosen is the better choice I will support that choice all the way. TT was simply not good enough and I fully support the trade of TT to Clev.

The fact that McBean made that deal and hasn't signed any FA QB's tells me that he almost certainly knows that he can get a deal done for a top 3 QB... It wouldn't surprise me if He already has a contingency plan with Clev for #4 should the need arise. (I don't think that it will though) I believe that Clev will draft their QB at #1. I also believe that the Bills will trade for either #2 or #3... Just Chill and BILLIEVE!

We need to trade up to the golden ticket (1st pick in draft) if we're gonna depend on the draft to get our guy.  Anything else and we're going to just get one of the top 5 guys and that may not be good enough.

• Like (+1) 1

McCarron hasn't received an offer from the pats. 

I personally would like the bills to consider making him the bridge?

he's the best of those left, imo.

Conflicting reports of Patriots' interest in AJ McCarron as Tom Brady's backup

889675632-chicago-bears-v-cincinnati-ben

by John Breech 1h ago

Conflicting reports

According to WEEI radio in Boston, the Patriots have made a contract offer to McCarron, although it's not clear how big or small the offer might be. It's also not clear if McCarron is considering the offer and that's because if he signs in New England, he'd basically have a zero percent chance of becoming the starter due to the fact that Tom Brady plans on playing until he's 45. Also, according to the Boston Globe, McCarron never actually received an offer

Whatever happens, it's starting to look like McCarron doesn't have a ton of options, which is bad news when you consider that free agency hasn't even started yet. Although there's been a legal tampering period going on since Monday, free agent players can't start signing new contracts until 4 p.m. on Wednesday.  

If the Patriots didn't make an offer to McCarron, then it wouldn't be a surprise to see them draft a potential backup for Tom Brady in April.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973

11 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Eagles want better than a 1st AND a 4th for Foles.

This has been said like 100000 times.

They don't want to budge.

I don't know why people keep slinging Foles' name like he's gonna be cheap, or even an option, because of Beane gives up that for him, he should be drawn and quartered.

If the worst case scenario happens, and the Bills just can not reach a deal with a team picking in the top 5 without them having to give up their entire draft, and then a team trades ahead of them and picks Jackson, the Bills would almost have to give up their #22 pick for Foles.

If they don't, they will forever have to face the question, "Hey, why didn't you just draft Watson or Mahomes in 2017?" The only buffer from that disaster QB scenario is trading for the Super Bowl MVP who beat your division rival, with a 1st round pick. That's the price you pay when you pass on good QBs in the draft, when you didn't have a good QB.

Edited by 1billsfan

5 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

We need to trade up to the golden ticket (1st pick in draft) if we're gonna depend on the draft to get our guy.  Anything else and we're going to just get one of the top 5 guys and that may not be good enough.

There is not one guy in this draft.  It's not like any of them are a guy like Luck.

I suspect they have a ranking and they'll move accordingly.

1 minute ago, SouthNYfan said:

I heard Matt hasselbeck might come into try out 

I think we still have Vince Young's# too

...well I'm thinking that perhaps as the "Second Chance Saloon", we could lure Leinart outta the hot tub and he could be our next Rich Gannon resurrection.......

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, 1billsfan said:

If the worst case scenario happens, and the Bills just can not reach a deal with a team picking in the top 5 without them having to give up their entire draft, and then a team trades ahead of them and picks Jackson, the Bills would almost have to give up their #22 pick for Foles.

If they don't, they will forever have to face the question, "Hey, why didn't you just draft Watson or Mahomes in 2017?" The only buffer from that disaster QB scenario is trading for the Super Bowl MVP who beat your division rival, with a 1st round pick. That's the price you pay when you pass on good QBs in the draft, when you didn't have a good QB.

Look.

If there are 4 QBs taken before #12, the bills will take Jackson/Allen/whatever of the top5 is left.

I would still rather than than multiple picks for Foles.

Just now, oldmanfan said:

There is not one guy in this draft.  It's not like any of them are a guy like Luck.

I suspect they have a ranking and they'll move accordingly.

As I see it, there are maybe 2 guys that can start right away maybe. Mayfield and Rosen.  The others are projects.  If history is any indication, at least 2 or 3 of them will be busts.  To my way of thinking, you don't trade several #1s for a project.

IF we can get to 4 or 5 as some suggest, Rosen and Mayfield and Darnold or any combination could very well be off the board.  Everyone has Barkley penciled n for Cleveland at 1, but they very well could go for Rosen themselves.  Nobody picks first round QBs like the Clowns do.

That's why I say if this is truly our plan, we gotta get the golden ticket. Maybe they have a 1 and 1a. then they gotta have #2.   this is not a year to say as long as we get one of the top 5 guys we'll be OK IMHO.

3 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Translation: We didn't sign any of the guys we were pursuing so we are going to say we weren't pursuing any of them to not look inept.

Or......we are all in on the top of the draft new guy, which is where all indications point. A bottom tier FA QB is fine for the vet backup. We shall see. 

10 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I heard Matt hasselbeck might come into try out 

I think we still have Vince Young's# too

The heck with him as Geno Smith and EJ are still out there...:sick:

Matt Cassell anyone?

They...must...have...a...plan!

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, reddogblitz said:

As I see it, there are maybe 2 guys that can start right away maybe. Mayfield and Rosen.  The others are projects.  If history is any indication, at least 2 or 3 of them will be busts.  To my way of thinking, you don't trade several #1s for a project.

IF we can get to 4 or 5 as some suggest, Rosen and Mayfield and Darnold or any combination could very well be off the board.  Everyone has Barkley penciled n for Cleveland at 1, but they very well could go for Rosen themselves.  Nobody picks first round QBs like the Clowns do.

That's why I say if this is truly our plan, we gotta get the golden ticket. Maybe they have a 1 and 1a. then they gotta have #2.   this is not a year to say as long as we get one of the top 5 guys we'll be OK IMHO.

I disagree. The top four all have strengths and weaknesses. My bet is they go for Rosen

17 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Look.

If there are 4 QBs taken before #12, the bills will take Jackson/Allen/whatever of the top5 is left.

I would still rather than than multiple picks for Foles.

There may not be any of the top 5 left. That's the scenario I was talking about.

Kansas City came from pick #27 to the Bills #10 spot to draft a QB and they already had Alex Smith. Teams that could trade ahead of the Bills for the last of the top 5 QBs in this class are...

15. Cardinals

17. Chargers

27. Saints

28. Steelers

29. Jaguars

The Bills may have to trade up from #12 to even get the chance to draft Lamar Jackson.

Edited by 1billsfan
  • Like (+1) 1