Sammy Watwins to KC on a 3 Year Deal

21 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The three-year deal signed by receiver Sammy Watkins with the Chiefs is as simple as a contract can be. The details appear below.

1. $21 million signing bonus.

2. 2018 base salary (fully guaranteed): $790,000.

3. 2019 base salary ($8.21 million of which is fully guaranteed): $11.95 million.

4. 2020 base salary: $13.75 million.

The deal also has a $10,000 workout bonus this year, along with $250,000 workout bonuses in 2019 and 2020.

Thats monster-

essentially a2 year 34m fully guaranteed with a third year option at a discount of 14m....

• 1 month later...

I thought about starting a new thread about this, but thought I would vent this here instead...  This just pisses me off and I don't know why:

Pittsburgh's Antonio Brown ($17 million per year), Tampa Bay's Mike Evans ($16.5 million), Houston's DeAndre Hopkins ($16.2 million), Kansas City's Sammy Watkins ($16 million), Cincinnati's A.J. Green ($15 million), and Julio Jones ($14.25).

How in the HELL is Watkins even in this group???  Making more than A.J Green & Julio Jones, and in the same realm as Antonio Brown??  He's no where near their production level.  What a waste of freaking money...

4 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

I thought about starting a new thread about this, but thought I would vent this here instead...  This just pisses me off and I don't know why:

Pittsburgh's Antonio Brown ($17 million per year), Tampa Bay's Mike Evans ($16.5 million), Houston's DeAndre Hopkins ($16.2 million), Kansas City's Sammy Watkins ($16 million), Cincinnati's A.J. Green ($15 million), and Julio Jones ($14.25).

How in the HELL is Watkins even in this group???  Making more than A.J Green & Julio Jones, and in the same realm as Antonio Brown??  He's no where near their production level.  What a waste of freaking money...

It mainly has to do with when the contract is signed. Is Watkins worth more than AJ Green and Julio Jones? Not likely, but you have to ask when those guys had their contracts negotiated. If they were free agents *now*, you can be sure their value would be much higher. It's all about the timing.

4 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

Simple answer is because his talent is in that league. He has elite hands and can run the entire route tree. He has produced like an elite player when targeted like them. The Chiefs (and others that were in the bidding war) are using that information. If they throw the ball to Watkins he should be elite. It’s much more difficult to make a guy, bigger, faster, stronger, better hands, and a better route runner than it is to throw him the ball.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rubes said:

It mainly has to do with when the contract is signed. Is Watkins worth more than AJ Green and Julio Jones? Not likely, but you have to ask when those guys had their contracts negotiated. If they were free agents *now*, you can be sure their value would be much higher. It's all about the timing.

I know I know...  But in reality that only applies to A.J Green's and Julio Jones.  Mike Evans'  was this year, Hopkins and Brown were signed just last year.  Salary cap did increase, but teams usually use other players as a barometer.

It is all about timing, but still doesn't take away from a horrible contract for KC.

10 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

At least this puts any speculation he was staying in Buffalo to bed....  

Just wait until week 8 when he’s racked up 300 yards and they come out of the woodwork saying

“It just a new offense”

“Just needs to develop chemistry with Mahomes”

“He’s always open”

”opens up the defense for Hill and Hunt to get all those yards” 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TheBeane said:

I know I know...  But in reality that only applies to A.J Green's and Julio Jones.  Mike Evans'  was this year, Hopkins and Brown were signed just last year.  Salary cap did increase, but teams usually use other players as a barometer.

It is all about timing, but still doesn't take away from a horrible contract for KC.

It's only horrible if it turns out to not be worth it.

I'm with Kirby, and I think Watkins does have elite talent. I think he can be an incredible WR, one of the best. Obviously he has some injury concerns, but I've never been someone who buys into the "injury-prone" label -- I think he's just been unlucky thus far. I don't think that bad luck will necessarily last.

I also agree with Kirby that he hasn't been part of an offense yet that has made him the highlight and thrown to him in large numbers. If KC does that, I think you'll see his output at the same level. I can appreciate those who disagree with that, but I see features in his game that are unlike many others.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

At least this puts any speculation he was staying in Buffalo to bed....  

Just wait until week 8 when he’s racked up 300 yards and they come out of the woodwork saying

“It just a new offense”

“Just needs to develop chemistry with Mahomes”

“He’s always open”

”opens up the defense for Hill and Hunt to get all those yards” 

That's exactly the conversation.

A $16M/year decoy that doesn't produce.

5 minutes ago, TheBeane said:

That's exactly the conversation.

A $16M/year decoy that doesn't produce.

Clearly the teams don’t feel that way as a bidding war was going on. No one would pay him $16M a year unless they though he would be elite. Clearly the league views him as a top end player.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Clearly the teams don’t feel that way as a bidding war was going on. No one would pay him $16M a year unless they though he would be elite. Clearly the league views him as a top end player.

Clearly

Just now, akm0404 said:

LOL.  Let's start with him being better than the 3rd best WR on his own team before we commission his bust.

You may have noted that I didn't say he "is" incredible, but that he "can be".

1 minute ago, akm0404 said:

And I said let's start with him being better than option 3 on his team.  You seem to think that'll happen, most think otherwise.

Most here on this board, maybe.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I trust Andy Reid’s ability to scout offensive talent more than any Bills’ coach since the SB years.  They have sent up their young qb up quite well.  

Where did they send him ..scitts creek without a paddle with Sammy as their #1?

I kid, I kid,, I think Sammy is going to struggle to justify $16M per , but be a solid 80 catch, 1100 yd receiver.