Is Beane Being Too Careful?

Gugny

I've been very skeptical since the beginning (mostly because I've been burned watching the Bills front office in the past).

But the pieces are really starting to fall in place.  And what I'm seeing is actually pretty brilliant.

1.  The Bills got an extra 1st Rounder by trading down in last year's draft.  They still managed to land Tre White, who was possibly the best defensive rookie in the entire NFL last year.

2.  The Bills got an extra 2nd Rounder by trading away Sammy Watkins, who continued to disappoint in Los Angeles.  The Rams just let him walk, and the Chiefs just gave him a ridiculous contract that Beane wouldn't have matched in a million years.  We also got a nice 1-year rental out of EJ Gaines, and could end up with a 3rd Round Compensation Pick if he signs a big deal himself.

3.  The Bills got an extra 3rd Rounder for Ronald Darby.  Reports had been circulating all off-season that Darby didn't fit our defense and was struggling, and at the end of the day, we really didn't miss him.  And we may get another Comp Pick if Jordan Matthews signs a decent contract.

4.  The Bills got an extra 3rd Rounder for Tyrod Taylor, a QB they didn't want and a player that many felt we were going to cut outright.

5.  The Bills got the equivalent of 2nd Round value for Cordy Glenn, which was pretty good for a guy coming off a major foot injury.  Besides, we already had his replacement on the roster in Dion Dawkins.  Now we are in striking distance of getting a Top 3 draft pick.

At this point, the Bills could realistically move into a position to draft the first QB off the board WITHOUT completely mortgaging their future OR even destroying their 2018 draft class.  Think about it.  We could trade away #22 and a 2nd Round pick to move up, and still have a 2nd and two 3rds this year (with nothing gone from next year's draft).  Not to mention, in the last 12 months the Bills have basically shed three of their biggest contracts (Dareus, Taylor, Glenn).  So we could be sitting on $100 million in cap space.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Um kinda the goal is to surround your rookie QB with a roster with lower inexpensive talented players and build a core that way. The Glenn contract being moved was the last of cleansing of poor Whaley contracts.

Last year the Bills had two choices either tank the year or do what they did which was be competitive and make the playoffs which they did. To grab a top QB you either have the pick or do what the Bills have done and acquire enough picks to force your way in. The only thing irresponsible is the fact it took the Bills this long for a GM to be this aggressive. Remember Buddy Nix said he wanted a QB and then gave Fitz a ton of money and only drafted a QB when it was a forced dire pick. If they have a guy they want and are willing to go for it awesome I am happy for once someone will.

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

Not trolling, man.  Like I said.  I have bought into Beane's process from the beginning.  His aggressiveness just concerns me.

just me though.....but isnt an aggressive GM a good thing?  

10 hours ago, Gugny said:

First of all, I'll preface by saying that I've been down with The Process from the beginning.  I got it .. and I get it.

I applauded getting rid of Watkins and Woods .. and letting Gillislee walk (to Boston).   The purge continues with Glenn - our oft-injured offensive lineman - and now rumors are swirling about Hughes - GOOD.

I love stockpiling draft picks, but you can't build a team solely on potential.  I believe they will draft well, and will be in good financial shape to be able to retain them long-term.

However, I feel like he's not doing enough in Free Agency.  Other teams are very active, putting crucial pieces in place (Denver, KC, SF).

I just wish Beane would be a tad more aggressive getting some veteran leadership in-house because we'll be a very young team.

ha ha, love it!

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, slaphappy said:

I think some over estimate the talent level on this team. It's a total roster rebuild while in motion. 

Where is the motion? What LBs have been added in FA? What O-linemen? What WRs? What DTs? Our GM has apparently taken a page from the Buddy Nix playbook, early to bed, late to rise.

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

Where is the motion? What LBs have been added in FA? What O-linemen? What WRs? What DTs? Our GM has apparently taken a page from the Buddy Nix playbook, early to bed, late to rise.

we are not players for top FA's this year...

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Dude, we already have Glenn's replacement on the roster.

And if Hughes is sent out as well, it's not like he has been piling up the sacks lately, is it? We've had no pass rush, which is his job.

It still takes a threat from the opposite side so somebody such as Hughes can go in clean and that has not been the case for the last year or so.  Bruce Smith did not hit his stride until we picked up Bennett to put on the other side.  

6 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

That is a ridiculous statement. So you want him to sit on his hands? Why not go after the best guys that are there? 

Nope its called reality.. Our salry cap situation will not allow us to fill all our needs with expensive top FA's . We will do what we did last year, find value FA's

Overly expensive FA's rarley pan out for what you have to pay to obtain them, and they cause more salary cap issues down the line.

I expect the Bills not ot be major players for the top FA's and no action by Beane early on in FA is what I fully expect

Edited by ddaryl

Just now, ddaryl said:

Nope its called reality.. Our salry cap situation will not allow us to fill all our needs with expensive top FA's . We will do what we did last year, find value FA's

You are having difficulty understanding me so I’ll try again.

1. Designate the FA’s you feel will fill holes.

2. Go sign those guys.  

I don’t care about what arbitrary “level” you want to assign them. You find your guys, you go get your guys. I suppose you also want them to take whatever qb falls to them?