Philly deadline to get under the cap: Nick Foles

Just now, Lurker said:

Not expensive in money.   Expensive in the lost opportunity to have two good players via draft picks to keep the team stocked after Foles leaves next year.   

3-D chess, not checkers...

3-D chess is winning another Super Bowl. 

Just now, 26CornerBlitz said:

3-D chess is winning another Super Bowl. 

We'll see, but I look at the Pats approach to SB runs and the one thing they are is ruthless about churning their roster to keep the draft capital flowing.   Standing still and hoping to recaputure lightning is an iffy proposition...

1 minute ago, Lurker said:

We'll see, but I look at the Pats approach to SB runs and the one thing they are is ruthless about churning their roster to keep the draft capital flowing.   Standing still and hoping to recaputure lightning is an iffy proposition...

They just beat the Patriots with Howie Roseman doing it his way and keeping Foles with Wentz uncertain is smart.  

42 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have not, and I would think Howie Roseman would chuckle politely and ask if your Pro Personnel department is now hiring

In case you're serious, Hint: the Eagles have a pro-bowl LT signed through 2019.  His name is Jason Peters.  Then they won the Superbowl with a 2nd year LT drafted in the 5th.

No interest in Glenn.

Not sure you're right.  Lots of Eagles sites say OT is their biggest need.  The most recent CBS mock has them taking an OT and lists OT as it's biggest need.

"Instead, the attention on offense should be on the line, where Jason Peters is coming off a torn ACL that caused big problems once Halapoulivaati Vaitai was thrust into a starting role. Finding a second tackle to pair with Lane Johnson long-term is paramount and could be most logical use of the team's first-round pick."

13 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

They just beat the Patriots with Howie Roseman doing it his way and keeping Foles with Wentz uncertain is smart.  

That game was a coin flip.    Just as likely to lose the next one with a year older roster....:P

6 minutes ago, PIZ said:

Not sure you're right.  Lots of Eagles sites say OT is their biggest need.  The most recent CBS mock has them taking an OT and lists OT as it's biggest need.

"Instead, the attention on offense should be on the line, where Jason Peters is coming off a torn ACL that caused big problems once Halapoulivaati Vaitai was thrust into a starting role. Finding a second tackle to pair with Lane Johnson long-term is paramount and could be most logical use of the team's first-round pick."

The Eagles can't take on Glenn's contract with the cap issues they already have to deal with. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

The Eagles can/will/should (continue to) say that they want a 1st and 4th for Foles so as to potentially maximize the return for him.  It's not unlike the Bills claiming they wouldn't cut TT and would be fine paying his $6M roster bonus so as to get a team (like the Browns) to bite.  But it doesn't mean anyone will offer anything close to that, or that they would never trade him unless they got that, so Mort's info isn't really new or even worth much.  They'll either trade him or they won't and Mort has no idea what they'll really do. 

But those thinking they can simply make a move here or there to get under the cap are grossly misinformed.  The Eagles need to be under the cap in in a little under 74 hours, and they are currently $11.2M over it.  If they want to be players in FA, they need to free up another $5M at least.  Then they'll need to find another $5M to sign draft picks, and another $4M for injuries.  So they're looking at needing to clear $25M or so when all is said and done, and restructuring just kicks the can down the road while designating guys post-June 1st loads up 2019 with a lot of dead cap. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The Eagles can/will/should (continue to) say that they want a 1st and 4th for Foles so as to potentially maximize the return for him.  It's not unlike the Bills claiming they wouldn't cut TT and would be fine paying his $6M roster bonus so as to get a team (like the Browns) to bite.  But it doesn't mean anyone will offer anything close to that, or that they would never trade him unless they got that, so Mort's info isn't really new or even worth much.  They'll either trade him or they won't and Mort has no idea what they'll really do. 

But those thinking they can simply make a move here or there to get under the cap are grossly misinformed.  The Eagles need to be under the cap in in a little under 74 hours, and they are currently $11.2M over it.  If they want to be players in FA, they need to free up another $5M at least.  Then they'll need to find another $5M to sign draft picks, and another $4M for injuries.  So they're looking at needing to clear $25M or so when all is said and done, and restructuring just kicks the can down the road while designating guys post-June 1st loads up 2019 with a lot of dead cap. 

Thank you. Somebody should point out to Mort that the desperate entity here really is Philadelphia, then Arizona. But Arizona can target Cousins, Keenum, etc. 

For teams that are looking for a one year bridge, Foles will be more expensive to acquire than Tyrod - but not a lot more expensive. Any team - let's say Denver - can get a player like Teddy or AJ McC or McCown and have them sign a two year deal full of incentives but no real commitment in terms of dollars. And that player doesn't come with a price tag of draft picks.

The lost opportunity of traded picks, in the inflationary world of the New NFL is obscene. Don't expect that any other team in the NFL is going to make the same mistake Cleveland just made.  

3 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Yep. They could wait until the trade deadline to trade Foles and net a draft pick, keeping their insurance until the end of October. We'll see, but they don't need to trade the player right now

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Yep. They could wait until the trade deadline to trade Foles and net a draft pick, keeping their insurance until the end of October. We'll see, but they don't need to trade the player right now

They don't necessarily need to trade Foles, but they absolutely need to get under the cap in 71 hours. 

19 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

So in essence. Tyrod Taylor who we just traded away. Want better

19 hours ago, Ittakestime said:

I find it funny that some people on here think you are getting playoff Foles. I hate to break it to people, but Foles is somewhere between last year playoffs and his Rams stint. Not worth much. 

18 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

And yet in his entire career has never maintained a starting job. 

I am amazed how many people just hate the idea of getting top end QB play and want to settle

I have no idea if Philly will trade Foles. They have only 15 million invested between Foles and Wentz this year and to be honest I would probably keep him for insurance if I was them. We know they have to get under the cap but I am not familiar enough with them to know what their options might be. That said, I think it is completely ridiculous for people to say that Foles has always been mediocre before his magical playoff run, as if it is just some fluke. His 2013 passer rating was the 3rd highest in NFL history going back to at least 1941. Aaron Rodgers 2011 and Peyton Manning 2004 are the only ones higher.   https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_single_season.htm.     He also had the highest TD to Int. ratio ever recorded. The next year he broke his collarbone and got shipped off to Fishers Rams and since has been a backup to Smith in KC and Wentz in Philly. At 6'6" 245 lbs he is a prototypical pocket passer, he flashed brilliance in his 2nd season, got kicked around the league then when he got another chance he flashed brilliance again in an epic playoff run culminating in a Super Bowl win and MVP over Tom Brady and the hated Patriots. So he may not be available but get the !@#$ out of here with this he sucks bull ****. We wish we had a qb who sucked like that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Pretty expensive insurance policy.  Maybe Roseman should call Geico.

Seems to me that insurance policy paid out when it bought the Eagles an NFC Championship and a Superbowl after their starter went out for the season.

I don't think the Eagles are looking to change insurance carriers just yet.

I'm also not up for telling the GM of the Superbowl champions how he should run his ship.

1 minute ago, whatdrought said:

Does anyone know how close to the number they need they will get if they cut/trade Vinny Curry?

I’ve read that cutting him will save $5 million. Still need to clear another $6.2 million. And they lose a productive player. 

30 minutes ago, Turk71 said:

I have no idea if Philly will trade Foles. They have only 15 million invested between Foles and Wentz this year and to be honest I would probably keep him for insurance if I was them. We know they have to get under the cap but I am not familiar enough with them to know what their options might be. That said, I think it is completely ridiculous for people to say that Foles has always been mediocre before his magical playoff run, as if it is just some fluke. His 2013 passer rating was the 3rd highest in NFL history going back to at least 1941. Aaron Rodgers 2011 and Peyton Manning 2004 are the only ones higher.   https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_single_season.htm.     He also had the highest TD to Int. ratio ever recorded. The next year he broke his collarbone and got shipped off to Fishers Rams and since has been a backup to Smith in KC and Wentz in Philly. At 6'6" 245 lbs he is a prototypical pocket passer, he flashed brilliance in his 2nd season, got kicked around the league then when he got another chance he flashed brilliance again in an epic playoff run culminating in a Super Bowl win and MVP over Tom Brady and the hated Patriots. So he may not be available but get the !@#$ out of here with this he sucks bull ****. We wish we had a qb who sucked like that.

You say all that without realizing he was a FA twice and both times signed to be a back up. All of a sudden four games later and he is a franchise QB?!?  Don't buy it.