Well, the Bills are well underway in free agency

I don't expect any mega-signings in FA... Mostly smaller affordable signings to fill holes where possible... The Bills are not in bad shape cap wise at all and can do some simple contract restructurings if they want some extra cap space for this year... Next year they were rumored to have close to $100 million in cap space so money is not really a problem...

2 hours ago, McBean said:

I think they will be aggressive in free agency because they know our draft picks are about to packaged for a QB.

Atleast I hope...

I could see that in a sense. They will not offer big contracts but veterans that arent expensive but can come in as solid to good depth.

As of now in 2019 they will have 37 players on the roster without counting the rookies they draft this upcoming draft along with 84 million in cap space without the addition of whatever cap we have roll over next season. 

5 hours ago, dulles said:

Yep, I agree...Especially when you consider the guys we could lose in FA - Gaines, Brown, etc.  Those guys should be "higher" value in the comp pick equation.  I don't think you should take inferior talent in order to get comp picks, but if you are comparing apples to apples, go with the signing that facilitates comp picks.   

if some of these comp picks help us get young and strong so be it. Vontae can easily fill in for the often injured Gaines and 30 yr old Ivory is better than Tolbert/DiMarco combined. 

7 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I was literally debating posting and then I refreshed the page and then walla all of a sudden we signed Ivory! Matter of fact I was actually looking at a list of all the teams’ FAs.

I believe and firmly expect this to continue, first Vontae Davis and now Ivory. The Bills will be very active in free agency in filling in holes and reinforcing depth. DT Dontari Poe, G Jahri Evans, WR Donte Moncrief and LB Dannell Ellerbe would be FA targets that I would love to see the Bills get once free agency opens up. Players like these would certainly make our roster more solidified and our draft picks more effective imo.

I don't think Evans would help very much. His best days are behind him. Poe is still an above average DT and would help stop the bleeding at DT. Moncrief is no better than what we already have, IMO. Ellerbe isn't great either, but LB is another big black hole on this roster, so any help at LB is a good thing.

What about Ladarius Green or Pitta? O'Leary has been a disappointment. A solid #2 TE would be a nice addition.

15 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Not a ton of cap room to be aggressive in FA this year. A few judicious signings maybe, but they are #1 in dead cap for 2018. This improves a lot in 2019 but expect the belt to be a bit tight this offseason. 

Yup, this is a big concern.

$25 mill in cap space right now, but if they pay Tyrod's roster bonus on the 16th, that would drop to $19 mill and if Tyrod's on the roster it would drop to around $15 mill available under the cap. And that's not counting the draft picks which will have a pool of around $6 or $7 mill probably, leaving us less than $10 mill. 

Which is one reason I doubt Tyrod will be here, but that's a matter for another thread. 

They could trade Cordy Glenn, that would free up a bit of space. Wood's official retirement will save them very little, unfortunately. They'll doubtless cut some other guys but there's not a lot of major savings to be racked up. 

I don't see us signing any expensive guys this year. They'll be measuring every buck.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, DefenseWins said:

I don't expect any mega-signings in FA... Mostly smaller affordable signings to fill holes where possible... The Bills are not in bad shape cap wise at all and can do some simple contract restructurings if they want some extra cap space for this year... Next year they were rumored to have close to $100 million in cap space so money is not really a problem...

The reason we have space next year is that we don't really have anywhere close to a team under contract yet. For OL starters under contract for example, they've got Glenn, Wood, Ducasse and Dawkins, backed up by Conor McDermott, De'Ondre Wesley, Aaron Green, Josh James and Adam Redmond. On the DL they have Jerry Hughes, Shaq Lawson, Adolphus Washington, Rickey Hatley and Marquavius Lewis. At LB, Milano, Tanner Vallejo, Nordly Capi, Xavier Woodson-Luster, and nobody else. 

The 2019 cap numbers would be better referred to as having an "INC" grade right now rather than referring to any specific figures. Yup, lots of space, but also lots of spaces on the roster. Contrast that to what Philly has under contract in 2019 and your draw will drop. They have a terrific team already signed for that year.

And yes they could do restructurings, but that's not how fiscally conservative GMs generally operate and so far a fiscally conservative game plan is exactly what they seem to be using. They said the same thing last year, that they could restructure and kick the costs down the road. They didn't do that. It doesn't appear to be their way, for which I'm personally really happy. 

Edited by Thurman#1

16 hours ago, Tipster19 said:

I have a question that I probably should have added to the post. Would you be alright if the Bills signed a few 1 rentals this year? Players who are looking to improve their stock but not commit to long term just yet like what Alshon Jeffery did last year? 

I think that is absolutely what they are going to try and do.  1 year deals or 2 year deals where the money is frontloaded to year 1 and they can get out with minimal hit in year 2 (which is I expect the way the Ivory deal is structured).

Badol has put this theory out, and I think he is right, that to build a competitive roster in 2018 it is the best way to go.  Get younger in the spots where the draft can help but focus your resource there on quarterback and fill holes with short term vets in other spots via FA.  It is also telling that here are two "holes" filled by people that do not count to the comp pick formula because they were cut.  I expect you are going to see Beane be a lot more mindful of that than McDermott on his own was last year.  If they sign FAs who do count the comp formula I expect them to be guys who will actually be proper impact players so more Micah Hyde types.... not Patrick DiMarco, Vlad Ducasse and Andre Holmes types.  

I’m not trying to bump my own thread, I just don’t want to start another one but speaking of FAs I’m fully expecting the DT position to be heavily addressed during free agency. We have next to nothing under contract. Personally I’d love to see the Bills obtain Poe and while that could happen I also think that it won’t stop there. DT Star Lotulelei makes too much sense and I would be shocked if he isn’t signed. Here’s an interesting article that expands on our situation much better than I ever could.

http://buffalonews.com/2018/03/06/free-agent-focus-bills-could-use-a-star-at-defensive-tackle/