Uber & Lyft drivers median profit $3.37 per hour

/dev/null

9 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Yep, it's why I quit doing it. It just doesn't pay. That and Uber's sketchy surge pricing. You pick up a ride in the surge zone and don't get credit. Extra dodgy.

2 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Gig economy may not be all it is cracked up to be.  However, If your living with Mom & Dad and can work a very flexible schedule maybe life is good according to some.

I have a friend in Chicago who has a very good job working in the corporate world; he's VP of marketing for large international company; makes decent cash.

And he's an Uber driver!  He does it only during his commute in the morning and at night (somehow; not sure how that works)  as it's a long drive and he said the Uber money pays for his gasoline bill.  He does it solely for that reason.

Thank goodness. Retiring in a few months...wife says I'm too young and keeps looking for side gigs for me. This will knock off Uber / Lyft driver off her list. Since it's not about the money and just getting out of the house, gotta work that $3 / hr isn't worth it.

5 hours ago, Fadingpain said:

I have a friend in Chicago who has a very good job working in the corporate world; he's VP of marketing for large international company; makes decent cash.

And he's an Uber driver!  He does it only during his commute in the morning and at night (somehow; not sure how that works)  as it's a long drive and he said the Uber money pays for his gasoline bill.  He does it solely for that reason.

It's funny, through one of the board members here I met somebody who's a regular for the bills games who does Uber in a very popular metrocity. It started as a bet in the fantasy football league that the loser must do it for a month. The guy owns a business and makes a lot of money, but both he and his wife do it making up a $30,000 a month

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

The problem with the Uber/Lyft business model is that some people began to think it could be a job. 

It was always about '"what the hell, I'm going that way and could use some company."    

When it came here last summer, the local news interviewed some of the people signing on as drivers. One guy did just what you say, quit his job and bought a new vehicle with the sole purpose of just being an Uber driver. 

4 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

Thank goodness. Retiring in a few months...wife says I'm too young and keeps looking for side gigs for me. This will knock off Uber / Lyft driver off her list. Since it's not about the money and just getting out of the house, gotta work that $3 / hr isn't worth it.

If you're looking to get out of the house to do things that are rewarding contact your local agricultural extension office and look in to programs there. From.the master gardener programs to 4H and many other opportunities you can find to enrich your life and those of the community you live in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

Look into Instacart, the shopping service. They just started in our area and are looking for people to do the shopping and deliveries. 

8 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Gig economy may not be all it is cracked up to be.  However, If your living with Mom & Dad and can work a very flexible schedule maybe life is good according to some.

One of the first rides my wife took, the driver said he was sitting at home waiting for people in his area needing rides. Seems the better option if you're in a popular area (like where we live) instead of sitting in some parking lot. 

3 hours ago, Boyst62 said:

If you're looking to get out of the house to do things that are rewarding contact your local agricultural extension office and look in to programs there. From.the master gardener programs to 4H and many other opportunities you can find to enrich your life and those of the community you live in.

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Look into Instacart, the shopping service. They just started in our area and are looking for people to do the shopping and deliveries. 

Thanks! Master Gardner's weird me out, sorry. Where I work (jail), we have an ROP Agriculture program for the inmates. We have several acres in which the inmates learn pretty much everything about the agriculture business. The Master Gardner's along w/ the instructor help teach the group. I go out and supervise large sales and attempt to hold a conversation w/ these people. Unless it's plant related, I can't hold a conversation w/ these people. Their lives seem to just revolve around plants. 4H, awesome suggestion. I hike often, and have been in contact w/ our regional parks department and state parks...and plan to volunteer to help, where needed. 

Instacart, thanks for the heads up. Just did some research, seems interesting. I had no idea this existed. Come to find out, my wife suggested this too. I guess it's one of those things I tuned out. LOL

Thanks again guys!

Edited by 707BillsFan

6 hours ago, 707BillsFan said:

If you like to do carpentry, you can consider volunteering for a local Habitat for Humanity project.  Other volunteer opportunities include driving cancer patients to medical appointments for the American Cancer Association, working with the animals at your local humane society or rescues or driving for Meals on Wheels.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SoTier said:

If you like to do carpentry, you can consider volunteering for a local Habitat for Humanity project.  Other volunteer opportunities include driving cancer patients to medical appointments for the American Cancer Association, working with the animals at your local humane society or rescues or driving for Meals on Wheels.

Keep the suggestions coming! Me? Construction? Not so good. What's a hammer? After 26 years of working as a CO, I feel any tangible skills have vanished and my brain is mush. I If I worked around animals, I'd become a hoarder. Lot of misplaced animals due to our fires, I keep seeing them posted on Facebook. Sad. I do like the ACA and Meals on Wheels suggestions. Thanks a lot! I'm creating a list.

I use Uber once or twice a week, always good service. I suppose it depends on where you live of course. Mostly for work but the occasional ride somewhere's else... like the dentist tomorrow :-(  Since we lost one car it has been a life saver. What I have found is that the drivers don't know how much you are paying for a ride. 

My employ is 6-7 miles away and it costs me around $10.00-$11.50 each way if I use Uber. Was talking with a lady driver around a month ago about the service and told her what I was paying. She said great, no one has ever told me this before, and when she dropped me off at the house she calculated it... she made $6.33 for my fare, and it took her around 15 minutes or so. Now, I make a point of letting the driver know how much I paid. 

I think the "report" in the OP is not true... just a bunch of jumbles numbers put together by someone who felt they needed to write something due to their deadline.

Most drivers I've ever had love driving for Uber... and the happiest ones are the ones who keep their rides under 45 miles but higher than say a ride across the street. Those shorties are the ones that they like to avoid. 

14 hours ago, T&C said:

I use Uber once or twice a week, always good service. I suppose it depends on where you live of course. Mostly for work but the occasional ride somewhere's else... like the dentist tomorrow :-(  Since we lost one car it has been a life saver. What I have found is that the drivers don't know how much you are paying for a ride. 

My employ is 6-7 miles away and it costs me around $10.00-$11.50 each way if I use Uber. Was talking with a lady driver around a month ago about the service and told her what I was paying. She said great, no one has ever told me this before, and when she dropped me off at the house she calculated it... she made $6.33 for my fare, and it took her around 15 minutes or so. Now, I make a point of letting the driver know how much I paid. 

I think the "report" in the OP is not true... just a bunch of jumbles numbers put together by someone who felt they needed to write something due to their deadline.

Most drivers I've ever had love driving for Uber... and the happiest ones are the ones who keep their rides under 45 miles but higher than say a ride across the street. Those shorties are the ones that they like to avoid. 

You did the math and then said the report is not true. Sloppy jaloppy! A car depreciates at 53 cents a mile according to the federal tax code, add in gas. So she made 6.33 for a 7 mile ride meaning she is making less than a dollar a mile before she even considers her cost to operate the vehicle. Perhaps finish the math before you put you say something is false.

Then consider how many miles she drove empty to come and pick you up and then again for her next rider. Uber/Lyft is basically taking out a cash advance on your car. I tried it for extra money and it doesn't take long to get enough of a samlle size to see the problem with it.

Also the drivers see exactly what you paid so they are just wasting your time with that conversation. 

6 hours ago, Commonsense said:

You did the math and then said the report is not true. Sloppy jaloppy! A car depreciates at 53 cents a mile according to the federal tax code, add in gas. So she made 6.33 for a 7 mile ride meaning she is making less than a dollar a mile before she even considers her cost to operate the vehicle. Perhaps finish the math before you put you say something is false.

Then consider how many miles she drove empty to come and pick you up and then again for her next rider. Uber/Lyft is basically taking out a cash advance on your car. I tried it for extra money and it doesn't take long to get enough of a samlle size to see the problem with it.

Also the drivers see exactly what you paid so they are just wasting your time with that conversation. 

I still don't believe that report, there are too many variables. For instance, the lady I mentioned was at the other end of a parking lot/retail space so she only drove a few hundred feet to pick me up. 

Gas is cheap right now, at least around here... $2.37 a gallon or so, and a lot of cars now are getting 30-40mpg. Where I live is flat as a pancake so they are getting the most out of their gas.

I'd say that over half that I've used don't even own their car, they lease it... so the wear and tear part is a moot point with them, maintenance too. Depreciation means zero in their cases.

Location. I don't live in a city but it is a vast area of retail, houses, apartments, restaurants, etc so drivers don't really have to look far or wait long for a rider. I've had drivers get a ping for the next rider as they dropped me off wherever.

My ride to the dentist this morning was a dude who barely spoke any english (but listened to country music, thought that was kind of funny), but the ride back to the house was a 30's something guy with two girls in elementary school. I asked him if he knew how much I was paying for the ride and he said he had no idea, only what he gets paid. So, that part seems to be conflicting... seems some (like you) know, and some do not. Wonder why that is. 

Edited by T&C

3 minutes ago, T&C said:

I still don't believe that report, there are too many variables. For instance, the lady I mentioned was at the other end of a parking lot/retail space so she only drove a few hundred feet to pick me up. 

Gas is cheap right now, at least around here... $2.37 a gallon or so, and a lot of cars now are getting 30-40mpg. Where I live is flat as a pancake so they are getting the most out of their gas.

I'd say that over half that I've used don't even own their car, they lease it... so the wear and tear part is a moot point with them, maintenance too. Depreciation means zero in their cases.

Location. I don't live in a city but it is a vast area of retail, houses, apartments, restaurants, etc so drivers don't really have to look far or wait long for a rider. I've had drivers get a ping for the next rider as they dropped me off wherever.

My ride to the dentist this morning was a dude who barely spoke any english (but listened to country music, thought that was kind of funny), but the ride back to the house was a 30's something guy with two girls in elementary school. I asked him if he knew how much I was paying for the ride and he said he had no idea, only what he gets paid. So, that part seems to be conflicting... seems some (like you) know, and some do not. Wonder why that is. 

Location. Where I live

If they don't own their car they are doing even worse. 280 a week around here and then you lose out on the 53 cent per mile tax deductions. I think some people that use the service like to convince themselves that it's good for the drivers. Perhaps so they don't feel the need to tip. 

Like I said I drove for them and did plenty of research before, during and after. Less than a dollar a mile before operating expenses. That's all that really needs to be said. It's peanuts.