Anonymous QB Scouts' Takes on the Draft Class

DCOrange

1 minute ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, the second quote referred to Jackson, who had a lot better talent than Allen around him. 

Here are two sets of statistics:

Player A: 59.1 percent completion, 3,660 yards, 27 touchdowns, 10 interceptions, 8.7 adjusted yards per attempt, 1,601 yards rushing, and 18 rushing touchdowns in a Power 5 conference.
Player B: 56.3 percent completion, 1,812 yards, 16 touchdowns, six interceptions, 6.9 adjusted yards per attempt, 204 yards rushing, and five rushing touchdowns in Group of 5 conference.

Obviously player A is Jackson vs. Allen as player B.  

I pulled that from an article I won't link as it'll start a firestorm (premise is Jackson is below Allen because Allen looks like a prototypical qb in that he is big and white, while Jackson is being thought of as a wr because he is black).  Allen for sure had worse talent around him as a fcs school qb but his drop rate from his receivers was 7.84% as opposed to 12.04% for Jackson.

Again not saying right or wrong but it is certainly interesting to see the different thought process about the same exact topic for each qb.

Ah yes, the Bleacher report of scouts’ takes. I don’t believe a word of it because no league scout is offering up anything genuine about any of their findings. Not before the draft and not after the draft. Anything said about prospects that actually comes from personnel evaluators at this time is nothing more than smoke as everybody gets ready to rob the same annual train. 

59 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The link above took me to info about their college baseball recruiting

Whoops! In 2015, Louisville had the 31st ranked recruiting class, and Wyoming was 103rd. In 2016, Louisville was 39th, and Wyoming was 117th. In 2017, Louisville was 35th, and Wyoming was 110th.

https://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/TeamRankings

Edited by dave mcbride

3 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

Well, the second quote referred to Jackson, who had a lot better talent than Allen around him. 

Barely.  Dropped passes and constant pressure are the same affliction.  This year, like Allen, Jackson had very weak receivers, a mediocre line and no running game (except for LJ).  

Put both of these guys on Alabama, Georgia, OK, OK St, UCLA or USC and IMO, they'd be Top 5 picks. 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They also play against no one. And whenever they did, he was terrible.

This happens every year.  They completely over hype some prospect.   McShay said Jevan Snead was a 2st rounder.  He went undrafted and didn't last a season in the NFL.  

Allen would be interesting as a 2nd or 3rd rounder.  But now, there is going to be insane pressure on him. Scouting qbs is the toughest job in sports. It's laughable how people try to be experts.  But completion % is a huge tell.  If you are inaccurate in college, it likely won't get better in the NFL.  57% is bad. In the Moutain West for a guy being guy talked up as #1 overall, it's awful.

Cannot agree more. This is the last guy I hope we draft.

14 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Whoops! In 2015, Louisville had the 31st ranked recruiting class, and Wyoming was 103rd. In 2016, Louisville was 39th, and Wyoming was 117th. In 2017, Louisville was 35th, and Wyoming was 110th.

https://247sports.com/Season/2015-Football/TeamRankings

Fair to say Louisville was likely competing with much better teams. It's all works out the same.  A dropped pass is a dropped pass and pressure is pressure.  

Just now, Max Fischer said:

Barely.  Dropped passes and constant pressure are the same affliction.  This year, like Allen, Jackson had very weak receivers, a mediocre line and no running game (except for LJ).  

Put both of these guys on Alabama, Georgia, OK, OK St, UCLA or USC and IMO, they'd be Top 5 picks. 

Can't disagree more. The games I saw Jackson play he couldn't hit the the lake from the dock. The guy is just not accurate.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

IMO, many NFL scouts (because, GMs they scout for) over-hype size and arm strength.  Now I get it, other things being equal, a big guy is better than a small guy, and a strong arm is better than a meh arm - you can't coach size. 

But you probably can't (or can't easily) coach field vision and pocket awareness, either.  They're just harder to evaluate objectively than size and arm strength. 

Accuracy is harder to assess, because so many things affect completion percentage (ball placement, receiver quality, pressure) but it's probably also not easy to coach, unless it stems from mechanics which can be adjusted

The link above took me to info about their college baseball recruiting

I completely agree with this. 

BTW I watched 4 more games on Darnold and Rosen. I think I would be okay trading up to the top of the draft for them. Increased my grade on both of them a bit. 

5 minutes ago, Green Lightning said:

Can't disagree more. The games I saw Jackson play he couldn't hit the the lake from the dock. The guy is just not accurate.

LJ's adjusted completion rate (drops, etc) are in line with Darnold and third amongst all these prospects.  That's a fact.  The dude throws darts. 

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

LJ's adjusted completion rate (drops, etc) are in line with Darnold and third amongst all these prospects.  That's a fact.  The dude throws darts. 

Adjusted completion rate. Really? That's for losers. His completion rate is for multiple years. How far back are you going to go with an adjusted completion rate? Do or don't do, there is no try. 

Just now, Green Lightning said:

Adjusted completion rate. Really? That's for losers. His completion rate is for multiple years. How far back are you going to go with an adjusted completion rate? Do or don't do, there is no try. 

It matters a LOT.  It accounts for hitting receivers in the hands and they drop it, running the wrong route, pressure and throwing the ball away, the system, etc, etc, etc. If was all stats, then dozens of QBs with better numbers would be in the mix.  

1 minute ago, Max Fischer said:

It matters a LOT.  It accounts for hitting receivers in the hands and they drop it, running the wrong route, pressure and throwing the ball away, the system, etc, etc, etc. If was all stats, then dozens of QBs with better numbers would be in the mix.  

We're just going to have to disagree. 20/20 hindsight and excuse-making is not the basis for drafting a quarterback for the future. The guy's just not accurate, we already have a quarterback with accuracy and anticipation issues. Find a guy who can consistently hit the receiver, hit a slant, and throw a decent ball with anticipation. Jackson hasn't shown the ability to do any progressions whatsoever that I can see. Late round pick for me - first round - no way.

58 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

Could very well have been the case if they had been there.

Just now, John from Hemet said:

Joe I think this goes a little further then that with you.

I think Jackson is a very real possibility......and i think you know that....

ooooh color me intrigued.

do tell me WHY it goes a little further than that with me John. Can't wait.