Won't anyone think of the poor, sensitive Lawful Gun Owner?

LA Grant

BiM, You and your friends should read Koko78’s post two up from yours. 

People get mocked here when they deserve it. Most uninformed posters get their asses handed to them quickly. Then they quickly resort to ad-hominem attacks and salacious insults as though that’s a defensefor their ass-hattery. 

It gets old for those on the other side of these social issues too, because an honest discussion rarely happens. Most of the “new” posters are woefully inept at putting forth a cogent idea in a coherent manner. 

https://www.vox.com/2016/2/29/11120184/gun-control-study-international-evidence

A huge international study of gun control finds strong evidence that it actually works

A 2016 study, published in the academic journal Epidemiologic Reviews, seeks to resolve this problem. It systematically reviewed the evidence from around the world on gun laws and gun violence, looking to see if the best studies come to similar conclusions. It was the first such study to look at the international research in this way.

The authors are careful to note that their findings do not conclusively prove that gun restrictions reduce gun deaths. However, they did find a compelling trend whereby new restrictions on gun purchasing and ownership tended to be followed by a decline in gun deaths.

11 minutes ago, Logic said:

https://www.vox.com/2016/2/29/11120184/gun-control-study-international-evidence

A huge international study of gun control finds strong evidence that it actually works

A 2016 study, published in the academic journal Epidemiologic Reviews, seeks to resolve this problem. It systematically reviewed the evidence from around the world on gun laws and gun violence, looking to see if the best studies come to similar conclusions. It was the first such study to look at the international research in this way.

The authors are careful to note that their findings do not conclusively prove that gun restrictions reduce gun deaths. However, they did find a compelling trend whereby new restrictions on gun purchasing and ownership tended to be followed by a decline in gun deaths.

Santaella-Tenorio was insistent that he and his colleagues have not "proven" that gun laws reduce violence. The data, he says, is simply too complicated, and the analyses too primitive, to come to such a hard conclusion.

Well, they certainly did enough hedging of their bets in finding their 'trends'.

Edited by Koko78

31 minutes ago, Nanker said:

BiM, You and your friends should read Koko78’s post two up from yours. 

People get mocked here when they deserve it. Most uninformed posters get their asses handed to them quickly. Then they quickly resort to ad-hominem attacks and salacious insults as though that’s a defensefor their ass-hattery. 

It gets old for those on the other side of these social issues too, because an honest discussion rarely happens. Most of the “new” posters are woefully inept at putting forth a cogent idea in a coherent manner. 

People get consistently mocked here whether they deserve it or not.  See the 'Know Anyone With a Disease' thread.  Pretty much everything I mentioned about the attacks on new posters is in there. 

In fact on page one I wrote a post pleading with Tom not to post his typical mst3k comments in the thread.  I did not count, but I would say he posted another 75 times.  Not to discuss anything though, just his typical crap.  Also easy to see the group attack point that I made in many places within that thread.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

People get consistently mocked here whether they deserve it or not.  See the 'Know Anyone With a Disease' thread.  Pretty much everything I mentioned about the attacks on new posters is in there. 

In fact on page one I wrote a post pleading with Tom not to post his typical mst3k comments in the thread.  I did not count, but I would say he posted another 75 times.  Not to discuss anything though, just his typical crap.  Also easy to see the group attack point that I made in many places within that thread.

PPP is tougher than TSW.  The regulars mock each other in every educated discussion.

The difference is that the regulars actually argue thoughtful points while trading barbs.  The newcomers, and the Tibs/gator/baskin gang, far too often forget to actually argue, and instead use boring sarcasm and tangential topics.  Then they get called idiots.

Your "Know Anyone With a Disease" thread was 99% preaching peudoscience and 1% thoughtful discussion, which is why it was roundly mocked.  If you want to talk on PPP, you up your game or you get trashed until you do.  That's just how it is.

Just now, Bob in Mich said:

Yeah, ok.   So the people you agree with are the smart ones.  It's just those others that are idiots.  Sure, that makes perfect sense here.

That's not what he said, and you are dangerously close to proving his point for him.

25 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

Yeah, ok.   So the people you agree with are the smart ones.  It's just those others that are idiots.  Sure, that makes perfect sense here.

I disagree with almost 100% of PPPers on the 2ndA.  They think me extreme, I think them not extreme enough.

Shut the !@#$ up, lemming.

See how that went for you? Act like a moron, make a **** argument, get **** on and shut down.

Class is over. 

Edited by jmc12290

47 minutes ago, Bob in Mich said:

ok fukstik, you have proven no sense conversing with you either. 

I rest my case    lol

Again, you miss the mark.  It's not about trading insults, it's about arguing.  You and your ilk prove yourselves woefully incapable of making cogent points.

Look at your last couple of posts.  Pure nonsense.  Roll over and let me rub your belly!

4 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

You are the Maxine Walters of this forum.

:lol:

4 hours ago, Koko78 said:

If you start a rational discussion and back up your positions with facts (or at least factual something to ponder), then you'll get a rational conversation. Posting stupidity, then refusing to engage the posters who actually try to discuss the matter with anything approaching a rational thought does not work. That's neither a secret, nor an inside joke.

Yep. :beer:

3 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Any newcomer here should tread lightly at first. Get to know the landscape. When I call you Jersey Sue or Scooby or refer to hot sauce on your junk don't automatically feel insulted. Say you don't understand. I know that many people haven't been around long enough to get it and I and most others will explain the deal.

Yep.  :beer:

2 hours ago, Bob in Mich said:

Yeah, you've caught a lot of grief in that thread. :lol:

I can't remember if I've ever posted anything in that thread or not, but I've kept up with most of it. For what it's worth, a lot of people who post here support legalization for a multitude of reasons. I don't smoke it anymore, but I fully support it too.

Whether it's fair or not, some people here will make fun of you for being a stoner. Relentlessly. On the other hand, by continuing to add to the thread as you do, you've built up a pretty good reference source for information on the medical potential of marijuana.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, TakeYouToTasker said:

Quoted for posterity.

We're done here.

The beautiful part is that the cited quote is your quintessential "I'm With Her, Feel The Bern"  supporter: an amazing ability to take any topic, force it to extreme positions no one is espousing, tie those extreme positions to your opposition, then claim the moral high ground by default.

He's the Badol of the PPP board.

I'm certain he'll get a thank you note from the Trump/Pence 2020 campaign.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Azalin said:

Yeah, you've caught a lot of grief in that thread. :lol:

Anyone that starts a topic on pot curing "disease" deserves all the mockery they can get.  

I support legalization of medical marijuana.  I don't support lazy, ignorant faux-intellectualism such as "Know anyone with a disease?  Try pot!"

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 3rdnlng said:

Congratulations, you have taken positions that may have some merit, or at least worthy of discussion and have acted like such a self aggrandizing prick that what you say is overshadowed by how you say it. You are a perfect example of a person who can't get out of their own way. You didn't want a discussion as much as you wanted a fight. Obviously the way you went about this was not conducive to convincing anyone of the merits of your argument, but an excuse to get on your soapbox. You took every chance to insult other posters and conflate issues for the sake of sensationalism. You are the Maxine Walters of this forum.

5 hours ago, Koko78 said:

If you start a rational discussion and back up your positions with facts (or at least factual something to ponder), then you'll get a rational conversation. Posting stupidity, then refusing to engage the posters who actually try to discuss the matter with anything approaching a rational thought does not work. That's neither a secret, nor an inside joke.

The problem is that newbies come here, act like asshats, post a bunch of stupid nonsense with nothing to back up the assertions, then seem shocked that they're treated like asshats and that their nonsense is dismissed out of hand.

Just now, 3rdnlng said:

"Horses are just really big dogs" was your OP,  you !@#$ing idiot.

loooool the amount of cognitive dissonance here... omg.

"Horses are just really big dogs" = "Guns are never the problem, we cannot and should not change anything about the status quo. It is impossible." 

"You !@#$ing idiot" = "People overwhelmingly disagree and there are no shortage of options, but they all involve some form of additional restrictions on gun purchases which will necessitate lawful, non-violent gun owners being inconvenienced to provide necessary security measures. It is an either/or. You either agree there is a problem or you do not. You either agree that guns are part of the problem or you do not; if you do not, be aware that people overwhelmingly disagree with you & the status quo you're benefiting from being maintained by lobbyists. You either agree that reform is necessary & guns are part of the problem/solution, OR, you are merely advocating for products over people. If you have another solution to mass shootings (which you don't because any other solution involves higher taxes or you being inconvenienced in some way) we'd all love to hear it."

"Wow interesting how you choose to attack me instead of engaging my argument in the marketplace of ideas." = "How dare you! Rude! Boorish! Meanie!" 

4 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

"Wow interesting how you choose to attack me instead of engaging my argument in the marketplace of ideas." = "How dare you! Rude! Boorish! Meanie!" 

The marketplace of ideas? You?

:lol:

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LA Grant said:

loooool the amount of cognitive dissonance here... omg.

"Horses are just really big dogs" = "Guns are never the problem, we cannot and should not change anything about the status quo. It is impossible." 

"You !@#$ing idiot" = "People overwhelmingly disagree and there are no shortage of options, but they all involve some form of additional restrictions on gun purchases which will necessitate lawful, non-violent gun owners being inconvenienced to provide necessary security measures. It is an either/or. You either agree there is a problem or you do not. You either agree that guns are part of the problem or you do not; if you do not, be aware that people overwhelmingly disagree with you & the status quo you're benefiting from being maintained by lobbyists. You either agree that reform is necessary & guns are part of the problem/solution, OR, you are merely advocating for products over people. If you have another solution to mass shootings (which you don't because any other solution involves higher taxes or you being inconvenienced in some way) we'd all love to hear it."

You don't know my position on guns, now do you? Why don't you know my position Einstein? Because I saw the way you "discussed" things and I read you OP so I knew that it would be fruitless to try to engage you in a civil, or in fact, any kind of a discussion. Go back to where you came from Meathead and tell all your like-minded (that's code for feeble-minded) friends how close minded we are to someone who would call a horse just a big dog.

3 hours ago, joesixpack said:

I just find it amusing that grant believes he deserves a seat at the grownup table. Friggin milennials

I just find it amusing that you think this is the grown-up's table. Hahahaha. How do you make that conclusion, Joe? 

Are you suggesting PPP is full of thoughtful, respectful discourse, philosophically engaging in comparative arguments on the value of ideas? lol WHERE?? Every other thread is a bunch of conservative snowflakes in a bubble agreeing with each other as B-Man shares conservative memes & links from often incredibly dubious sources and the rest of you do your tired schticks to each other. There must be 200,000 posts on PPP with "Hillary" in there somewhere and that might be a conservative estimate.

This is the polar opposite of the grownup table. This is a tree-fort for Old Conservative White Men With Bad Opinions. It is a collective man cave for politics. It's why you don't see me here. It's why I'm not interested in debating every stupid issue like this, because it is almost certainly futile. It's not a group known for their listening skills. Ok? I know all of this going in. If this was real life and I tried the gun debate in an "enemy territory" bar, I'd be dogpiled, just as I was here, except in real life, I'd also be assaulted or shot or something. The nice thing about message boards is that sometimes its possible to deliver messages you don't want to hear.

If this happened in real life, you would've punched me or whoever the messenger would be if they spoke this directly to you. That should be comforting to you, I think? I would not have been able to get, like, 10% of this into your ears before getting kicked out or literally kicked. Because of that, I appreciate PPP's existence. And in your own way, you did listen, at least somewhat — I could've been stopped earlier by a mod but I wasn't, which is commendable. Well. Maybe. I mean that also means that's exactly why PPP is also a place where people can just be straight-up hateful in a way that they would never be to someone's face (ie., your other posts in the other threads), necessitating an equally aggressive response. And that's where the conversation has to start just to engage. But that's more of a cultural thing, and it is what it is. You guys made the rules, and the rules are bad. That's kind of the whole point.  

So, you know, Go Bills, hahah. 

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

You don't know my position on guns, now do you? Why don't you know my position Einstein? Because I saw the way you "discussed" things and I read you OP so I knew that it would be fruitless to try to engage you in a civil, or in fact, any kind of a discussion. Go back to where you came from Meathead and tell all your like-minded (that's code for feeble-minded) friends how close minded we are to someone who would call a horse just a big dog.

I don't care about your specific position because this isn't about you. It's not about me, either, as much as you want it to be.The fact that you think it is is also why you are unable to understand any of the previous 10 pages. I'm tired of repeating myself. This isn't the first time the debate's been had. Get a damn clue.

2 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

I just find it amusing that you think this is the grown-up's table. Hahahaha. How do you make that conclusion, Joe? 

Are you suggesting PPP is full of thoughtful, respectful discourse, philosophically engaging in comparative arguments on the value of ideas? lol WHERE?? Every other thread is a bunch of conservative snowflakes in a bubble agreeing with each other as B-Man shares conservative memes & links from often incredibly dubious sources and the rest of you do your tired schticks to each other. There must be 200,000 posts on PPP with "Hillary" in there somewhere and that might be a conservative estimate.

This is the polar opposite of the grownup table. This is a tree-fort for Old Conservative White Men With Bad Opinions. It is a collective man cave for politics. It's why you don't see me here. It's why I'm not interested in debating every stupid issue like this, because it is almost certainly futile. It's not a group known for their listening skills. Ok? I know all of this going in. If this was real life and I tried the gun debate in an "enemy territory" bar, I'd be dogpiled, just as I was here, except in real life, I'd also be assaulted or shot or something. The nice thing about message boards is that sometimes its possible to deliver messages you don't want to hear.

If this happened in real life, you would've punched me or whoever the messenger would be if they spoke this directly to you. That should be comforting to you, I think? I would not have been able to get, like, 10% of this into your ears before getting kicked out or literally kicked. Because of that, I appreciate PPP's existence. And in your own way, you did listen, at least somewhat — I could've been stopped earlier by a mod but I wasn't, which is commendable. Well. Maybe. I mean that also means that's exactly why PPP is also a place where people can just be straight-up hateful in a way that they would never be to someone's face (ie., your other posts in the other threads), necessitating an equally aggressive response. And that's where the conversation has to start just to engage. But that's more of a cultural thing, and it is what it is. You guys made the rules, and the rules are bad. That's kind of the whole point.  

I don't care about your specific position because this isn't about you. It's not about me, either, as much as you want it to be.The fact that you think it is is also why you are unable to understand any of the previous 10 pages. I'm tired of repeating myself. This isn't the first time the debate's been had. Get a damn clue.

Then why are you here you dumb !@#$?

6 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

If you stick around here gator should be worried about losing his title. If you don't care about my specific position then you don't care what I say. If you don't care what I say then you must not care what anyone says. If you don't care what anyone says then you must not care about the 1st Amendment. If you don't care about the first Amendment then you must think pedophilia is ok. This was exactly how you argued against Tasker when he thoroughly whipped your ass. Here's something for you to wave as you leave:

white flag.jpg

13 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

Then why are you here you dumb !@#$?

:wallbash:

Oh you know, just doing a little bit of banging my head against the wall.

Expand background checks. DMV-like testing & classes & annual registration process. Restrict access. Preventative measures. The previous 10 pages & previous 10 years of this argument.

:wallbash:

Oh you know, just doing a little bit of banging my head against the wall.

Expand background checks. DMV-like testing & classes & annual registration process. Restrict access. Preventative measures. The previous 10 pages & previous 10 years of this argument.

No.

See you next year.

6 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

If you stick around here gator should be worried about losing his title. If you don't care about my specific position then you don't care what I say. If you don't care what I say then you must not care what anyone says. If you don't care what anyone says then you must not care about the 1st Amendment. If you don't care about the first Amendment then you must think pedophilia is ok. This was exactly how you argued against Tasker when he thoroughly whipped your ass. Here's something for you to wave as you leave:

white flag.jpg

Your brain does not work and I wish there was some kind of mirror where you could see it. Take an IQ test or talk to a doctor. The synapses are not firing correctly.

3 minutes ago, jmc12290 said:

No.

See you next year.

The good thing about you is you will wear your dumb badness openly, so thanks for being honest anyway.

Edited by LA Grant
  • Like (+1) 1

Your brain does not work and I wish there was some kind of mirror where you could see it. Take an IQ test or talk to a doctor. The synapses are not firing correctly.

I wondered why I got a tingle down my leg when you said you'd soon be leaving.

4 minutes ago, LA Grant said:

The good thing about you is you will wear your dumb badness openly, so thanks for being honest anyway.

I just love America.  You're some kind of communist.