Why I would be happy with Lamar Jackson

3 hours ago, the skycap said:

And John Elway was 6'3" 203 lbs coming out of Stanford

Yup. I’m happy to sit back and let these guys do their thing. They own it and if they see fit to look past conventions and measurables, they’ll stake their job bs on it. 

I owe my skepticism to the fact they thought NP was a Better choice than TT at one point this season- let’s see 

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Yup. I’m happy to sit back and let these guys do their thing. They own it and if they see fit to look past conventions and measurables, they’ll stake their job bs on it. 

I owe my skepticism to the fact they thought NP was a Better choice than TT at one point this season- let’s see 

....don't get to see the Jackson kid play.......sounds like he is perhaps an upscale TT.......if the perception is that TT does not fit McD's desired offensive scheme, why would Jackson fit?.......OR.....is it possible the scheme may be changing with Daboll as OC?................

On 2/16/2018 at 9:39 AM, PolishDave said:

If Beane drafted Lamar Jackson, and Lamar didn't become elite very quickly, then it is very likely he would cost McDermott his job and maybe his own job too.

I say that because I think the majority of Buffalo fans are tired of the "quarterback who makes more big plays with his feet than his arm" type of QB.     And Lamar Jackson is that guy.   Just watch his highlight videos.    Only way you take this guy is if you can get him late in the draft (ideally round 5 or lower).   Let him go elsewhere and tie up some other team for 2 or 3 years before he is demoted to backup and gets his coach fired.

this is just so wrong. but okayyyyyyyyyy dude

Jackson is really flying under the radar. I don't hear anyone talking about him as one of the top guys. Vick, RG3, VY were picks 1, 2, 3 in their respective drafts. Jackson is right there with them talent wise. I think teams are shying away from mobile passers. They don't last in the NFL. Maybe you can get a couple of good years from them but they have proven to not be long term success stories at the next level. I could see Jackson having some success but I could also see him not even being in the league anymore in 7 yrs. He is surely as capable as Tyrod though and for much cheaper

On 2/16/2018 at 9:39 AM, PolishDave said:

If Beane drafted Lamar Jackson, and Lamar didn't become elite very quickly, then it is very likely he would cost McDermott his job and maybe his own job too.

I say that because I think the majority of Buffalo fans are tired of the "quarterback who makes more big plays with his feet than his arm" type of QB.     And Lamar Jackson is that guy.   Just watch his highlight videos.    Only way you take this guy is if you can get him late in the draft (ideally round 5 or lower).   Let him go elsewhere and tie up some other team for 2 or 3 years before he is demoted to backup and gets his coach fired.

I can't see anyone taking Jackson and trying to start him in year one.............so I don't see the "2 or 3 years before he is demoted" thing as applying.........2 or 3 years before he gets a chance to be a starter sounds more realistic.

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I can't see anyone taking Jackson and trying to start him in year one.............so I don't see the "2 or 3 years before he is demoted" thing as applying.........2 or 3 years before he gets a chance to be a starter sounds more realistic.

That's crazy IMO. In the last two days I've read stories of DeSean Watson giving huge props to Jackson ("I don't want him to go to the Jacksonville," Watson said. "Send him to the North."), and also I saw a segment of NFL Total Access where David Carr said Jackson's his brother Derrick's favorite player who can't get enough of watching him play.

https://www.courier-journal.com/story/sports/college/louisville/2018/02/01/deshaun-watson-lamar-jackson-he-can-do-things-ive-done-rookie/1086527001/

I don't understand why Jackson seems so underrated and underestimated by media and fans. If Jackson goes to a team which would change their offense to fit him, he'll be putting up Watson numbers no doubt about it. The Bills would be a fantastic spot for this to happen. The Bills franchise and fans are used to a running style QB, and they now have an OC who's very familiar with the college game and how to maximize Jackson's talents in the NFL. He'll probably end up in either Arizona or Buffalo. Both head coaches were around Cam Newton for along time. They've seen it work.

FWIW, I don't believe the trade up for Josh Rosen rumor at all. Judging by the moves the FO made last year, if they don't seem to favor west coast players, they probably don't want a prima donna west coast QB like Rosen who'd probably be miserable in Buffalo.

On February 15, 2018 at 9:01 PM, #34fan said:

:lol: Of course you do... Unfortunately LOU's "pro style" offense is rooted in college practicality, and tailored for an inaccurate QB to use his legs as a primary weapon.

Calling it "very complex" simply isn't true... Petrino tried more snaps under center last season, but to what end? -a drop in win total, and an increase in INT's?

Lamar Jackson reminds me of Randle-El.. -And if it makes you feel better, he'd make a FINE 2nd round pick as a converted wide receiver.

2016 LOU offense breakdown

Why don't you try finding an article from 2017?? By the way, the draft evaluators are saying he ran a complex, pro style offense, not me. Read his evaluations because your eye test isn't very good.

35 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Why don't you try finding an article from 2017?? By the way, the draft evaluators are saying he ran a complex, pro style offense, not me. Read his evaluations because your eye test isn't very good.

My eyes see a talented athlete that comes from a successful college spread offense with pro elements sprinkled in... It's an offense designed for the most dominant weapon to score the most points.-That weapon is Lamar Jackson. Still, a run-heavy background and mentality works against NFL QB discipline...

My eyes see a gifted athlete that would be BROKEN by even the worst of NFL defenses.. Don't do it OBD... NO to Lamar Jackson in the first.

Edited by #34fan
Typos

10 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....don't get to see the Jackson kid play.......sounds like he is perhaps an upscale TT.......if the perception is that TT does not fit McD's desired offensive scheme, why would Jackson fit?.......OR.....is it possible the scheme may be changing with Daboll as OC?................

Difference that I see is that Jackson throws the ball.  He isn’t the most accurate, but still already a better passer than Taylor, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Difference that I see is that Jackson throws the ball.  He isn’t the most accurate, but still already a better passer than Taylor, in my opinion.

This is one of the dumbest things being said on the board these days. ?

If he was a better passer than Taylor currently is, he'd have a great completion % and probably be considered the #1 pick right now.

4 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

This is one of the dumbest things being said on the board these days. ?

If he was a better passer than Taylor currently is, he'd have a great completion % and probably be considered the #1 pick right now.

I respectfully ask why you think this is such a dumb statement.  Anyone could have a good completion percentage if they are only willing to throw to receivers who are WIDE open.  

What i mean by saying that Jackson is a better passer than Taylor is that he will make more plays passing because he is willing to throw the ball in situations that Taylor is not.

3 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I respectfully ask why you think this is such a dumb statement.  Anyone could have a good completion percentage if they are only willing to throw to receivers who are WIDE open.  

What i mean by saying that Jackson is a better passer than Taylor is that he will make more plays passing because he is willing to throw the ball in situations that Taylor is not.

And he'll be inaccurate and get intercepted a bunch of times....

Have you seen how bad his mechanics are and how inaccurate it makes him? He sails throws as bad as EJ did. Yeah, he has arm talent that covers his flaws sometimes, but that advantage will be diminished in the NFL.

If he can actually become as good a passer as Taylor, than he could be an even better starter. That's years down the road if it happens at all.