Scout on Rudolph

CuddyDark

3 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

In what world does that logic lend any credibilty towards OBD? If they missed an opportunity on a franshise guy then they screwed up. You can't look back and say well they were going to screw it up anyways and it's all ok!!

Common

Your using that word "if" a lot

"if" does not consititute "will"

:)

Just now, Commonsense said:

In what world does that logic lend any credibilty towards OBD? If they missed an opportunity on a franshise guy then they screwed up. You can't look back and say well they were going to screw it up anyways and it's all ok!!

I'm not lending credibility to anyone. Just pointing out that Watson/Mahomes were never the plan. As it stands, they picked up a 1st in 2018 and still drafted a CB that they had graded similarly to the prospect they intended to take at #10. What lacks logic is to fret over a decision that OBD was never planning on making in the first place. As soon as McD came in and made his evaluations the plan was to address QB in 2018.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jay_Fixit said:

Mayock’s weakest attribute when it comes to his draft expertise is his knowledge of the QB position.

Very true.

I do believe he’s the best draft analyst, or whatever job title you want to call him, but it seems like he rarely figures out QBs.

I remember in 2011 when he said Gabbert was a sure fire QB and he was one of the top rated players on his board 

4 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

I'm not lending credibility to anyone. Just pointing out that Watson/Mahomes were never the plan. As it stands, they picked up a 1st in 2018 and still drafted a CB that they had graded similarly to the prospect they intended to take at #10. What lacks logic is to fret over a decision that OBD was never planning on making in the first place. As soon as McD came in and made his evaluations the plan was to address QB in 2018.

Let's just call it the I will pick a QB when I'm ready, not when the opportunity presents itself approach. 

If you surveyed the leagues owners and asked how many of them would be willing to go into a draft with the QB position scratched off the board how many laughs would you get?

1 minute ago, Commonsense said:

Let's just call it the I will pick a QB when I'm ready, not when the opportunity presents itself approach. 

If you surveyed the leagues owners and asked how many of them would be willing to go into a draft with the QB position scratched off the board how many laughs would you get?

What if they were still evaluating TT at the QB position to make sure he did not fit?  What if they realized that this was not gonna be a 1 year process to fix what had previously been broken?

Those scenario's are entirely possible.

2 minutes ago, John from Hemet said:

What if they were still evaluating TT at the QB position to make sure he did not fit?  What if they realized that this was not gonna be a 1 year process to fix what had previously been broken?

Those scenario's are entirely possible.

If who was evaluating Taylor? The dead man walking GM or the defensive minded HC or the Pegulas? If your following the conversation people believe that no matter what they weren't going to take a QB at 10. If you can't see how wrong that is I can't help you.

It begins and ends with a QB, if the guy is there and you pass on him or trade down and run away from the pick then you screwed up!

Lucky for them they drafted White and Watson got hurt. Now they have a chance to find a QB in this draft with Beane on board. I would like to see him rank Watson, Mahomes, Rudolph, Jackson and Mayfield. It won't happen but it's an interesting thought. 

If who was evaluating Taylor? The dead man walking GM or the defensive minded HC or the Pegulas? If your following the conversation people believe that no matter what they weren't going to take a QB at 10. If you can't see how wrong that is I can't help you.

It begins and ends with a QB, if the guy is there and you pass on him or trade down and run away from the pick then you screwed up!

Lucky for them they drafted White and Watson got hurt. Now they have a chance to find a QB in this draft with Beane on board. I would like to see him rank Watson, Mahomes, Rudolph, Jackson and Mayfield. It won't happen but it's an interesting thought. 

So what your posts really are about is what you want it to be...not what actually is.

Got it

Just now, John from Hemet said:

So what your posts really are about is what you want it to be...not what actually is.

Got it

Yes John I want the Bills to have someone in place making decisions on draft day, decisions which includes the QB position. I'm guilty as charged. It's the most important position in sports you can't just differ until next year. 

2 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I don't think you are understanding. When McD took the job there was never a plan that was going to fix all of the team's problems in a single offseason. He looked at the available prospects in the 2017 draft class and free agents and determined where he felt the strengths of the class were and what holes on the roster he could adequately fill. He also looked at the likely 2018 draft prospects and free agents and went through a similar, though more preliminary exercise. Even in February of 2017 it wasn't very hard to tell that the pool of available QBs in 2018 were a much stronger group than 2017. The FO acted accordingly to the multi-year plan that they set out. They drafted to the strength of the 2017 class and picked up ammo to move around in the 2018 draft, if needed.

Of course you don't go in saying, "No matter what, no QBs!" but you also have to realize that when there are multiple prospects higher on your board, with much higher grades, you aren't going to pass them up for a QB you aren't sold on. If Watson dropped to 27 or to round 2 or something because of his throwing velocity then maybe value meets opportunity, but that's not what happened.

If you surveyed the leagues owners last year and asked how many of them would be willing to go into a draft with a board that had no QBs in the top 10 players it would be perfectly acceptable in a year like last year or 2013.

• Thank you (+1) 1

My theory is that the Bills will not trade up:  either  no partner or the cost is too high.

I think a DT and LB will be taken at 21/22.  The 2 seconds will then be packaged to get back into the first round for Rudolph or Jackson.  This will give the Bills a 5th year at a reasonable cost if the QB works out.

In FA, a bridge QB is signed who can also start the year if they lose out at QB,

In all scenarios Taylor get cut.

Yes John I want the Bills to have someone in place making decisions on draft day, decisions which includes the QB position. I'm guilty as charged. It's the most important position in sports you can't just differ until next year. 

You most certainly can

They had a veteran QB on the roster that had quarterbacked a 6th ranked offense

They lost Gilmore to a rival.....and had a glaring need at starting cornerback

They were going though this whackadoo partial rebiuld (where they made the playoffs go figure)

They ABSOLUTELY deserve the benefit of the doubt on their plan

Now I am absolutely in the boat that now they have evaluated the team for a year it is time to get their QB.....I would be really shocked if they punted on that this year but i have no problem with how they handled their situation when they fielded a competative team in their first year.

9 minutes ago, Commonsense said:

I would like to see him rank Watson, Mahomes, Rudolph, Jackson and Mayfield. It won't happen but it's an interesting thought. 

Why leave out top prospects though? He was looking at Rosen, Darnold, Watson, Mayfield, Mahomes, Rudolph, Jackson, Trubisky, and others. Generally speaking, at least 2+ QBs from the 2018 class grade out higher than any available QB in 2017. Possibly more depending on who you ask and what traits you're looking for.

The take on Rudolph is all over the place....and again, I sound like I'm beating a dead horse, but some good evaluators have him as the #1QB in the Draft, others see him as a late Day 2 guy, but I think "most" evaluators have him as a mid 1st to high 2nd round pick, and that's probably fair. I don't think he will ever be Favre-esque, but I can tell you to me he is absolutely Drew Brees but taller....he is accurate, makes all the throws at all levels of the field, is productive, and is a pocket passer....questions about his ability to read an NFL Defense are valid, because right now that same concern is valid for ALL the QBs in the Draft. But taking credit away from him because he has great WRs, is not valid to me because he still has to make the throws and make the "right" throw as well. 

Here are his career stats:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/mason-rudolph-1.html

Please look not just at the gaudy numbers from his Senior year, but watch his improvement from his starting year as a Sophmore until this year....they are PROGRESSIVE, and statistically significantly so in regards to Yards, Completion Percentage (Accuracy), TDs, low amount of INTs, and Rating. Not to mention he just won the Johnny Unitas Award beating out Baker Mayfield. Take what you will from it, but this kid will be a decent to great QB depending on the system and depending on how he is coached at the NFL level.

Edited by BigBuff423
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Why leave out top prospects though? He was looking at Rosen, Darnold, Watson, Mayfield, Mahomes, Rudolph, Jackson, Trubisky, and others. Generally speaking, at least 2+ QBs from the 2018 class grade out higher than any available QB in 2017. Possibly more depending on who you ask and what traits you're looking for.

Darnold and Rosen are pipe dreams. Those are the two quarterbacks that stand out from all the others. I don't need to see his grades to understand that.

I'd like to see where he has the rest of the guys ranked that would be attainable with the normal use of picks. For instance would he have rather taken Watson/Mahomes at 10 than trade up for Mayfield or wait around for Jackson, Rudolph. 

If Rudolph had a better arm, he would probably go number 1. There is a lot to like about him but my number 1 concern with him is arm talent. I would not say he has a weak arm as He has a better arm than Kellen Moore but is it enough. We will know more after seeing him throw at the combine and pro day. But if is arm strength ends up being closer to Moore than a Flacco type, he will fall out of first round discussion.