NFL Draft QBs Stats based on Defensive Rank

DCOrange

Edit: I added Josh Allen to the list since I had a little time this morning. His numbers aren't quite as bad as I expected though his passing yards in particular is incredibly low.

The Lamar Jackson thread included some posts about how he performs versus tough opponents compared to how he performed against cupcakes so it got me thinking that it might be cool to do a breakout for each of the QBs. I just stuck with Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, and Lamar for the sake of this exercise because we all know how brutal Josh Allen has been against good teams.

The "Yards" and "Rush Yards" categories are average passing yards per game and average rushing yards per game.

A couple things that jumped out at me:

• Lamar played the toughest schedule on average
  • Rosen played by far the easiest schedule and was terrible against the only top 30 defense he faced
  • Rosen and Darnold oddly struggled (relatively) against the worst teams they faced
  • Mayfield in particular was just incredible this season, which I think we all already knew
  • Lamar's stats don't look bad relative to his peers when you break it out by defensive rank

Against Top 30 defenses:

166k7qo.png

Against 31-75th ranked defenses:

345dd7r.png

Against 76+ ranked defenses:

10hmvcl.png

Edited by DCOrange
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 7

great chart. thanks for posting. Mayfield was always the one I wanted to see in a Bills uniform. But he's on everyone's radar now.   I'n not sure if Jackson and Rudolph fall to 21 either, since so many teams need a QB or are getting ready to groom their next one.  This will get interesting over the next few months and for the first time in a long time, I trust the FO to make the right call.

17 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

The Lamar Jackson thread included some posts about how he performs versus tough opponents compared to how he performed against cupcakes so it got me thinking that it might be cool to do a breakout for each of the QBs. I just stuck with Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield, and Lamar for the sake of this exercise because we all know how brutal Josh Allen has been against good teams.

The "Yards" and "Rush Yards" categories are average passing yards per game and average rushing yards per game.

A couple things that jumped out at me:

• Lamar played the toughest schedule on average
  • Rosen played by far the easiest schedule and was terrible against the only top 30 defense he faced
  • Rosen and Darnold oddly struggled (relatively) against the worst teams they faced
  • Mayfield in particular was just incredible this season, which I think we all already knew
  • Lamar's stats don't look bad relative to his peers when you break it out by defensive rank

Against Top 30 defenses:

zvwzlg.png

Against 31-75th ranked defenses:

fepjiq.png

Against 76+ ranked defenses:

8xkk5y.png

Excellent work. What's apparent in this draft year is that there are a number of good qb options. Teams can rank the top five qbs however they want. If you can't get your top two preferred prospects you can still draw from the next three on the list and come away with a very good prospect. 

It's probable that most teams rate Rudolph and Jackson behind the other top three. But that doesn't mean that a lower drafting team won't jump ahead to take the other two lower rated qb because of the widespread need. My advice is to be aggressive in pursuing your preferred qb/s and don't lose out to one of the group because of passivity. Because of our glaring need to get a high end prospect in the pipeline it is better to error on the side of being too aggressive than lose out because of a status quo approach to drafting.

If this team fails to get a high end prospect in this qb rich draft it will be an organizational failure.  

One thing that I think we need to be aware of in this thread too is the talent surrounding them. Mason Rudolph had 2 receivers that will be drafted within the first 4 rounds. That helps him a lot more than Allen or Jackson’s supporting cast. With that being said Darnold is a little scary because he plays with quite a bit of talent as well (although his line isn’t good). 

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

One thing that I think we need to be aware of in this thread too is the talent surrounding them. Mason Rudolph had 2 receivers that will be drafted within the first 4 rounds. That helps him a lot more than Allen or Jackson’s supporting cast. With that being said Darnold is a little scary because he plays with quite a bit of talent as well (although his line isn’t good). 

Could be said that the better QB made better recievers, ala Brady. Easier to catch a ball on target over ones a foot or two away. Allen/Jackson recievers had to work extra to catch most of those inaccurate throws.

Edited by xRUSHx

Just now, xRUSHx said:

Could be said that the better QB made better recievers, ala Brady.

The system certainly helps them put up numbers but scouts look for traits. Both guys have the traits of good NFL receivers. It’s not likely but it’s possible that they are the 1st 2 receivers drafted. I think Washington goes late 1 and Ateman in round 2 or 3. These aren’t stiffs being elevated. They are elite talents as well. 

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

Great stuff! Baker or Rudolph!

...sure is...interesting Rudolph places 2nd in two out of the three categories and 4th in the other still with 61% completion percentage...don't think McBeane surrenders draft capital to move up for Mayfield......most draft pundits say Rudolph will be there at 21/22......just a wild hunch McBeane pulls the trigger for what is probably a safe but perhaps unsexy pick...............

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

The system certainly helps them put up numbers but scouts look for traits. Both guys have the traits of good NFL receivers. It’s not likely but it’s possible that they are the 1st 2 receivers drafted. I think Washington goes late 1 and Ateman in round 2 or 3. These aren’t stiffs being elevated. They are elite talents as well. 

I agree on the system comment and there talent as a receiver but it still boils down to where the ball is placed IMO. We have seen receivers here stink but do well on other teams with better QBs . JS

Edited by xRUSHx
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

Excellent thread, Rudolph/Mayfield/Darnold all the way.

Baker is no Faker! His completion % is really great. He has started to grow on me big time. I have him rated 2nd of whom I take but all honesty, him and Rosen and neck and neck for me.

For me:

1a.Rosen

1b.Mayfield

2.Darnold

3.Rudolph

Edited by Real McCoy
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, poblano said:

Maybe should we look at their OL, i think is the best of the four.

His OL is fantastic too. That offense was special (and Lincoln Reilly is great too). 

4 hours ago, xRUSHx said:

I agree on the system comment and there talent as a receiver but it still boils down to where the ball is placed IMO. We have seen receivers here stink but do well on other teams with better QBs . JS

James Washington isn’t going in the 1st round based on Rudolph’s ball placement. He’s going in the 1st because of his explosiveness. Ateman is 6’4” 220 lbs. and may run sub 4.5. This is closer to Mike Evans with Johnny Manziel than the other way around. Rudolph had a nice year but he was elevated by his receivers, not the other way around. 

35 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

His OL is fantastic too. That offense was special (and Lincoln Reilly is great too). 

James Washington isn’t going in the 1st round based on Rudolph’s ball placement. He’s going in the 1st because of his explosiveness. Ateman is 6’4” 220 lbs. and may run sub 4.5. This is closer to Mike Evans with Johnny Manziel than the other way around. Rudolph had a nice year but he was elevated by his receivers, not the other way around. 

Mayfield is my favorite qb. But I have the impression that Rudolph is the type of qb that McBeane would favor. He has had plenty of playing time and steadily got better each year. From what I have read about him is that he is very mature and an upright citizen. I don't see Rudolph having the upside of the top three ranked qbs but I do see him with a very high floor. He seems to fit the McDermott mold physically and character wise and would be less costly.  This is just a feeling I have. What's clear is that there are a variety of tracks to take on the qb issue.