Do you think Reich might be able to secure a HC position now?

Another Fan

As I think mentioned before he was getting permission to be interviewed for the Colts job.  I imagine though with the Eagles just winning the Super Bowl that certainly makes his resume stand out even more.

Somewhere I read he gets overlooked a lot because he's too nice a guy.  I think after Marrone left he got interviewed for the position here.  When Rex got hired being the class act he is he still had good things to say about Ryan and how he was the right fit.

He got a Super Bowl ring, but would be nice to see a solid guy like that get a HC position instead of say the Rex Ryan's of the world.  Of course that's if he wants it 

He will get there. Big thing I think has hurt him is in San Diego and now Philly he has been OC under offensive minded coaches. So how much is his success and how much belongs to McCoy and now Pederson? I love Frank, he's an all-time Buffalo legend. Just never been sold on him as a HC myself. But he will get there I think. 

6 hours ago, jr1 said:

wasn't Doug calling the plays in Philly?

Yes. Reich called plays in San Diego, but not the whole time he was OC. The last year or so. 

If Reich becomes HC I anticipate it will be in McDermott fashion where he prefers to hire an experienced coordinator to call plays on his “side”of the ball so he can be in “HC only” mode ... Bevell  was in play for OC  before the Mcdaniels fiasco, could still be waiting in the wings

Edited by YoloinOhio

8 hours ago, Another Fan said:

As I think mentioned before he was getting permission to be interviewed for the Colts job.  I imagine though with the Eagles just winning the Super Bowl that certainly makes his resume stand out even more.

Somewhere I read he gets overlooked a lot because he's too nice a guy.  I think after Marrone left he got interviewed for the position here.  When Rex got hired being the class act he is he still had good things to say about Ryan and how he was the right fit.

He got a Super Bowl ring, but would be nice to see a solid guy like that get a HC position instead of say the Rex Ryan's of the world.  Of course that's if he wants it 

I've had the impression his resume was previously considered a little too thin.

He's only been a coach since 2008; only an OC since 2014.  And he's only been an OC for offensive head coaches and has never run his own offense.  

12 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

He will get there. Big thing I think has hurt him is in San Diego and now Philly he has been OC under offensive minded coaches. So how much is his success and how much belongs to McCoy and now Pederson? I love Frank, he's an all-time Buffalo legend. Just never been sold on him as a HC myself. But he will get there I think. 

It's really sad to think that guys like Mularkey and Jack Del Rio get 2 opportunities while people like Frank can't seem to crack through. I think it's going to take a spell as an interim HC or something like what happened to Bruce Arians in Indy. He's just too nice to make sure that he gets his share of the credit. To me the guy knows how to win, the comebacks at UMD and against the Oilers prove that.

1 minute ago, ProcessAccepted said:

It's really sad to think that guys like Mularkey and Jack Del Rio get 2 opportunities while people like Frank can't seem to crack through. I think it's going to take a spell as an interim HC or something like what happened to Bruce Arians in Indy. He's just too nice to make sure that he gets his share of the credit. To me the guy knows how to win, the comebacks at UMD and against the Oilers prove that.

All that proves to me is that he could play QB in a pressure situation. 

As a coach, what has he done though? Has he ever called plays? What does he specifically add to the table that 100 other coaches do not? Now, I like Frank and am a fan. But I think as a coach he's JAG. 

In his playing days he did extremely well in Buffalo, surrounded by talent. What did he do on his own? He became a starter on his own and flopped. I think as a coach he's done exactly what he did in Buffalo. Played a second fiddle role and reaped benefits.

Someone will take a chance on him sooner or later and I really hope he proves my opinion wrong. As I said, good man, good person. Just doesn't really move the needle for me as a coach.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I don’t get the hype for him as a HC at this point. 

He played for the Bills and that means he can fly or raise the dead around here.

Edited by row_33

3 hours ago, ProcessAccepted said:

Frank could take a cue from Mularkey.........learn how to be a vulture........take OC jobs where the HC is on thin ice.    Meathead has actually gotten 3 cracks at HC because of his vulturing skill.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Frank could take a cue from Mularkey.........learn how to be a vulture........take OC jobs where the HC is on thin ice.    Meathead has actually gotten 3 cracks at HC because of his vulturing skill.

Marrone you can argue kinda got the Jaguar HC positon that way as well

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

He played for the Bills and that means he can fly or raise the dead around here.

or it could just mean it would be nice to see a former bills player succeed at that level.

not to compare him to pederson but not bad company for frank to be around and maybe he could succeed, may fall flat.

either way, flying or raising the dead is a bit out of left field.

3 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Marrone you can argue kinda got the Jaguar HC positon that way as well

Definitely.

Gus was on the hotseat when Marrone took the OL job there.    

There is trauma and uncertainty when an owner fires a coaching staff and it's a big advantage to be a "qualified" in-house guy in that situation.

I don't think Marrone was going to get an NFL HC job again without doing that..........and Mularkey definitely never gets a HC job after quitting in Buffalo after a terrible season without vulturing.

7 hours ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

All that proves to me is that he could play QB in a pressure situation. 

As a coach, what has he done though? Has he ever called plays? What does he specifically add to the table that 100 other coaches do not? Now, I like Frank and am a fan. But I think as a coach he's JAG. 

In his playing days he did extremely well in Buffalo, surrounded by talent. What did he do on his own? He became a starter on his own and flopped. I think as a coach he's done exactly what he did in Buffalo. Played a second fiddle role and reaped benefits.

Someone will take a chance on him sooner or later and I really hope he proves my opinion wrong. As I said, good man, good person. Just doesn't really move the needle for me as a coach.

Since when does that disqualify him from a HC job?  The NFL is always rolling along with JAGS as HC.   Mike Vrabel just got a job!  WTF??

19 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Since when does that disqualify him from a HC job?  The NFL is always rolling along with JAGS as HC.   Mike Vrabel just got a job!  WTF??

Simmer yer shorts. Never said it "disqualified" him. Matter of fact I said twice I thought he would get a HC job. 

Can you maybe, inform me why he's not JAG as a coach? List some accomplishments he's had as a coach. He was part of the team that just won the Super Bowl. There's one. What else? 

1 minute ago, KelsaysLunchbox said:

Simmer yer shorts. Never said it "disqualified" him. Matter of fact I said twice I thought he would get a HC job. 

Can you maybe, inform me why he's not JAG as a coach? List some accomplishments he's had as a coach. He was part of the team that just won the Super Bowl. There's one. What else? 

you have to start some where.