Panthers Place Interim GM Marty Hurney on Leave After Allegations by His Ex-Wife - Now Reinstated

Crazy. That "rock solid" stability from an organizational standpoint has crashed and burned as of late. Holy crap , McBeane got out just in time.I wonder if either/both of them were aware of certain things and decided to jump ship rather than sink with it?

11 hours ago, Mango said:

He signed a contract that includes the leagues personal conduct policy. He also isn't selling anti-virus in an office. The NFL is a very public choice of employment, where losing your job for personal conduct is more than justified. 

Some parts might be some paranoia. But they are also VERY common symptoms for women who were in abusive relationships prior. If I had to put money on it, Hurney was probably abusive in the past while married. His actions of stalking are common of abusers. And continued paranoia about the abuser is incredibly common in their victims.  Maybe he is/maybe he isn't currently stalking or harassing her. What is highly likely is, he is paying the piper for past behavior.  Not out of her need to get back at him, but very real psychological repercussions of his past actions. 

Read up on abusive relationships. This sort of behavior is more common than you are giving it credit for. 

^^^THIS^^^

Also the role of the victim in these situations is a very complicated mental state. 

Thank you for the sane and well thought-out post.  There are a bunch of neanderthals around who can't seem to look past the surface of most issues.

• Like (+1) 2

11 hours ago, Mango said:

He signed a contract that includes the leagues personal conduct policy. He also isn't selling anti-virus in an office. The NFL is a very public choice of employment, where losing your job for personal conduct is more than justified. 

Some parts might be some paranoia. But they are also VERY common symptoms for women who were in abusive relationships prior. If I had to put money on it, Hurney was probably abusive in the past while married. His actions of stalking are common of abusers. And continued paranoia about the abuser is incredibly common in their victims.  Maybe he is/maybe he isn't currently stalking or harassing her. What is highly likely is, he is paying the piper for past behavior.  Not out of her need to get back at him, but very real psychological repercussions of his past actions. 

Read up on abusive relationships. This sort of behavior is more common than you are giving it credit for. 

^^^THIS^^^

Also the role of the victim in these situations is a very complicated mental state. 

Innocent until proven guilty is lost on you, son

Sorry you don't get the freedom of America.

Murica, !@#$ yeah.

11 minutes ago, eball said:

Thank you for the sane and well thought-out post.  There are a bunch of neanderthals around who can't seem to look past the surface of most issues.

In your profession I'd expect you to respect the judicial system enough to know innocent until proven guilty matters.

This is embarrassing

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Boyst62 said:

This thread is also innocent until proven guilty. 

Even if proven "guilty" there's not much there. She didn't even accuse him of physical abuse. She basically accused him of being controlling and mean. If every guy whose ex levelled those accusations against him lost his job we'd eliminate half the male workforce.

It takes a big dripping mangina of epic proportions to wax sanctimonious on this one.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Boyst62 said:

This thread is also innocent until proven guilty. 

I know. My comment was directed at where this thread is headed. 

Also, unsure what the burden of proof is for the NFL Personal Conduct Policy, but I imagine it isn't "innocent until proven guilty" or "beyond a reasonable doubt" (see Zeke Elliot case where he was suspended even when the DA chose not to file criminal charges).  I'd wager the NFL policy requires "preponderance of the evidence" or "more likely than not". 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BringBackFergy said:

I know. My comment was directed at where this thread is headed. 

Also, unsure what the burden of proof is for the NFL Personal Conduct Policy, but I imagine it isn't "innocent until proven guilty" or "beyond a reasonable doubt" (see Zeke Elliot case where he was suspended even when the DA chose not to file criminal charges).  I'd wager the NFL policy requires "preponderance of the evidence" or "more likely than not". 

I believe it's guilty until proven innocent beyond the shadow of a doubt.

• Haha (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Rob's House said:

Even if proven "guilty" there's not much there. She didn't even accuse him of physical abuse. She basically accused him of being controlling and mean. If every guy whose ex levelled those accusations against him lost his job we'd eliminate half the male workforce.

It takes a big dripping mangina of epic proportions to wax sanctimonious on this one.

Look up thread. It's tragic.  Masculinity has been killed in this country and the role of men deminished to a nearly subhuman level 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, matter2003 said:

So now you can simply make anyone unemployable of you are a woman by making up a bunch of BS that has no basis in reality?  When are men going to stand up and say enough is enough and put them back in their place? 

No different than when a woman you are dating does something disrespectful and you don't put her in her place(verbally). She just does it again and keeps going further and further and further. This is the current state of things...too many beta dudes who let women walk all over them in their relationships and allow it when running the government.

I'm with you.  You shouldn't lose your job over allegations.  The fact that these are allegations of mental abuse makes it a very tricky situation.  People can say mental abuse or emotional abuse to just about anything because that's a subjective issue.

I am not saying he wasn't abusing her.  All I'm saying is that there seems to be no difinitive line for these allegations, meaning there is no way to know if they are made up or not.  A completely overwhelming situation for someone who was in a relationship that went sour.  Mental and emotional abuse is common in breakups.  How do we justify what is too much?  Does the guy get to file for it too?

If I were a guy in a high level position I would be very careful with woman.  They have too much power right now, so much so that their feelings can dictate your livilyhood, especially if your an alpha who won't put up with woman ruling everything in the household.  

I know now we are trying to find balance between the two sides but this is not it.  

9 hours ago, MJS said:

Per her in her place? I sure hope you mean as your absolute equal.

But I doubt that. Sounds like you are a sexist.

He's not trying to be sexist, he is arguing that men should have the equal opportunity to put the other person in their place just like the opposite sex.  Just because the other person is a woman doesn't mean you can't yell at her for being a brat or such.  Are we not allowed to express ourselves anymore?

This is a touchy subject, I get it, all myself and I think OP was trying to say is that:

1 Guys shouldn't lose their jobs until proof of wrong doing 

2 They should have equal say and expression in a relationship.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, MJS said:

Per her in her place? I sure hope you mean as your absolute equal.

But I doubt that. Sounds like you are a sexist.

He undoubtedly is, just look at his recent posts for evidence. 

My issue with this is that they have been divorced for years and it's coming up now as a result of a cash-grab tactic by his ex. Her attorney came out today and said it was all just "mistrust between exes" and there's nothing to see here. For those of you lucky enough not to be aware: family law is seedy and awful, people regularly paint each other as monsters to extract whatever they want from the other side. Looks like this attorney overplayed their hand and is regretting they may have just killed the goose that laid the golden egg and are trying to walk things back. 

• Like (+1) 2

When I read the article, some of the things Ms. Hurney alleges sound as if they may be resulting from paranoid symptoms rather than an attempt to lie.

Put another way, they are not very convincing as lies.

The text I mean is bolded below.

In her complaint, she said Marty Hurney was “extremely controlling and was verbally and emotionally abusive” during the marriage. She said in the complaint that her phone, laptop and security system have been hacked and that she changed her locks three times in three days last summer. “My privacy has been violated for the past seven years with Martin’s behaviors of tracking me, my pets and violating my property,” the complaint reads.

Jeanne Hurney alleged in her complaint that her ex-husband or his associates had recently broken into her home and classroom. At her home, she said, the intruders had placed sticky notes in a book of hers around such words as “victim,” “terrorize” and “may resort to violence.”

You don't need to change your locks 3 times in 3 days. Once is all you need. All her devices have been hacked? He or "his associates", which make it a conspiracy, are tracker her pets? Why would they track her pets? They broke into her house to put sticky notes in a book? Notes with words that don't quite make sense?

A level headed reading of this stuff and the subsequent events where she withdrew her complaint do give a credible, fair reason to doubt the veracity of this stuff and look into it further before you suspend a guy from his job.

The Panthers are a tire fire.

• Like (+1) 1