Why didn’t Belichick play Malcolm Butler?

YoloinOhio

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Butler publicly denounced any wrongdoing in his part.   

Unless there is is a video of him smoking then all of this is a rumor.  

Assuming everything Butler says is true and that he didn’t miss a team plane, wasn’t late for a team meeting, or miss curfew then it boils down to a simple coach’s decision. Sorry,  but I can’t beleive that even Belichick is that intractable and insecure about his coaching decisions. 

11 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Assuming everything Butler says is true and that he didn’t miss a team plane, wasn’t late for a team meeting, or miss curfew then it boils down to a simple coach’s decision. Sorry,  but I can’t beleive that even Belichick is that intractable and insecure about his coaching decisions. 

Beyond the flu and being a day late 

the missed curfew and dope smoking is in question. 

Q- 

Did he bring his dope with him on a commercial flight?  

24 minutes ago, K-9 said:

There was a Boston reporter, Jackie McMullen,  on the sports show Around the Horn. She stated that there were extensive tardy issues with him and other issues. There may have been a curfew violation for this game (she wasn't clear on that issue but insinuated that there were issues going right up to the game. ) Belichick has high standards that apply to everyone. The player flaunted the rules and the coach acted. He is the most successful coach in the modern era of the NFL. In the operation that he runs he has instilled the ethos that the team is more important than the individual. I salute the coach.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There was a Boston reporter, Jackie McMullen,  on the sports show Around the Horn. She stated that there were extensive tardy issues with him and other issues. There may have been a curfew violation for this game (she wasn't clear on that issue but insinuated that there were issues going right up to the game. ) Belichick has high standards that apply to everyone. The player flaunted the rules and the coach acted. He is the most successful coach in the modern era of the NFL. In the operation that he runs he has instilled the ethos that the team is more important than the individual. I salute the coach.  

Now this makes sense.   

It is believable.  

Bravo Belicheat for screwing over your team by no playing a guy that had played 98% or snaps. 

3 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Now this makes sense.   

It is believable.  

Bravo Belicheat for screwing over your team by no playing a guy that had played 98% or snaps. 

Butler is the one who screwed over his team. 

Unless, of course,  you think he did nothing wrong at all and that benching him minutes before kickoff was a simple coach’s decision. That’s not impossible, but it’s hard for me to believe.

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Unless, of course,  you think he did nothing wrong at all and that benching him minutes before kickoff was a simple coach’s decision. That’s not impossible, but it’s hard for me to believe.

You don't need an atomic bomb to kill an insect.  Belichick could have used a greater sense of proportinailty to fit the crime if it was indeed a minor team violation.  In any event, I'm glad he benched Butler because it hurt his team in the ultimate game to help deny them a chance to again hoist a Lombardi.   :beer:

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

Oh please.  All I did was ask what the truth is.  

Nothing more.  

If you think I support anything Cheatriots you have not been playing close attention.  

32 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

...I still say if Butler was such a douche and broke curfew blah blah blah, how come Mr. Tough Guy didn't deactivate him for the game?

Exactly.    Why did he allow him to suit up?  

In the typical Belichickian way we will never know the “truth “. 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

1 hour ago, JohnC said:

Butler had repeated issues throughout the season with being late and acting disinterested, yet he played almost 98 percent of the snaps. In the first two Patriots playoff games he played every single snap. Yes, that was the same angry Butler that couldn't wait to get out of NE.

So why bench the guy in the SB for an ongoing issue? Obviously nothing nefarious enough happened to send him home happened. So it was the same disgruntled Butler that played all season and every playoff snap. 

It looks to me like BB thought he could embarrass Butler by taking away his opportunity. It was a miscalculation and he allowed his personal feelings towards Butler to cost the team. He did the same thing with Wes Welker who also turned down a low ball contract offer.

Now you see the leaders on both sides of the ball throwing shade at their coach. His ego got the best of him and cost everyone else a championship. 

Seeing Hightowers actions now makes me better understand Landon Collins remarks about BB. They probably can't stand the guy.

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

BS, he wouldn't have him dressed for the game. He would have used them roster spot for another player.

1 hour ago, Green Lightning said:

BS, he wouldn't have him dressed for the game. He would have used them roster spot for another player.

I get it. You know more than the Boston reporter who has contacts within the organization. Evidently the issue regarding Butler's conduct was as much about a long standing conduct that included recent events. I'm not sure what you are suggesting? 

2 hours ago, Commonsense said:

Butler had repeated issues throughout the season with being late and acting disinterested, yet he played almost 98 percent of the snaps. In the first two Patriots playoff games he played every single snap. Yes, that was the same angry Butler that couldn't wait to get out of NE.

So why bench the guy in the SB for an ongoing issue? Obviously nothing nefarious enough happened to send him home happened. So it was the same disgruntled Butler that played all season and every playoff snap. 

It looks to me like BB thought he could embarrass Butler by taking away his opportunity. It was a miscalculation and he allowed his personal feelings towards Butler to cost the team. He did the same thing with Wes Welker who also turned down a low ball contract offer.

Now you see the leaders on both sides of the ball throwing shade at their coach. His ego got the best of him and cost everyone else a championship. 

Seeing Hightowers actions now makes me better understand Landon Collins remarks about BB. They probably can't stand the guy.

Butler's extended bad behavior caught up with him. I have no problem with the coach sitting him down. It's not surprising that the coach is getting criticism because it was without a doubt a bold move. The players should not be complaining about the coach. They should be directing their complaints toward the player who repeatedly acted irresponsibly. I have no problems with the tough action that the HC made. In fact I salute him. Just maybe this unlikeable coach who has high standards and who is not afraid to enforce them is a factor as to why he is the most successful coach in the modern era of the NFL. 

On 2/5/2018 at 1:10 PM, Mr. WEO said:

They went to 6 AFCC and 4 SBs since they let Seymour go. The year he was traded, the defense went from 8th in points allowed to5th.  They have been top 10 every year but 1 since (3 top 5's).

Giving Jones away didn't stop them from going  to back to back SBs or from having the best D in the NFL (in points allowed) as soon as he was out the door in 2016. Then they won the SB (so...it really didn't "cost them the championship").  Meanwhile, the Arizona D went from 7th in points allowed prior to Jones to 14th, then 19th with him.  He's racking up stats as the anchor of that "break, don't bend" defense.  Big deal.

Last night's game featured little to no defense, even from Philly's vaunted D.  The difference in the game was likely a dropped TD pass by Brady and missed Gotskowski FG.  That and a single Philly big play on D.

People questioning BB's intelligence over benching Butler are out of their minds.

Say what you want, Chandler is a game changing all pro in his prime, and the Patriots have ZERO pass rush.    Foles was barely touched all night, as Belichick pointed out in his post game.   Just because Pats have won superbowls since he left is meaningless, were wrong to deal him.   I watched every Zona game he dominated about half of them.  He would have been a force against the backup tackle for philly. 

BB has a long standing policy of not suffering fools, and it's a big part of why New England is New England.

Sounds like this guy is a fool (Butler) and BB didn't want to compromise his standards to accommodate the fool.

Good for BB.  I hope the Bills are run in the same manner.

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

I get it. You know more than the Boston reporter who has contacts within the organization. Evidently the issue regarding Butler's conduct was as much about a long standing conduct that included recent events. I'm not sure what you are suggesting? 

Butler's extended bad behavior caught up with him. I have no problem with the coach sitting him down. It's not surprising that the coach is getting criticism because it was without a doubt a bold move. The players should not be complaining about the coach. They should be directing their complaints toward the player who repeatedly acted irresponsibly. I have no problems with the tough action that the HC made. In fact I salute him. Just maybe this unlikeable coach who has high standards and who is not afraid to enforce them is a factor as to why he is the most successful coach in the modern era of the NFL. 

More BS. Bellicheat would sell out his mother to win. He didn't sit him because of his high standards he sat him because of his big ego.

Edited by Green Lightning