How the Pats Avoid Penalties

We all know NE earned their moniker, "The Cheatriots."

But I've never believed the speculation that the refs are fixing games for New England.  This article explains that the Patriots work harder than any other team at avoiding penalties.

Interesting read I think...

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/2/1/16958718/super-bowl-new-england-patriots-bill-belichick-rules-penalties-study

Edited by hondo in seattle

He's a great coach and does his homework. He also obsesses and cheats as we have seen. BB also isn't afraid to push the envelope and try plays, formations or gimmicks that border on illegal but the refs don't know what to call because they have never seen it before. But the one thing that makes BB better than almost any other coach  is that he is a smarter than average man in a sea of idiots at HC.  Time and again BB just waits for the other HC to lose his nerve and make that fatally dumb error and time and again they do just that. I don't think what BB does is something extraspecial, he just comes off that way because the others are so poor.

14 minutes ago, H2o said:

That's nice and all......except for the blatant penalties they actually COMMIT which seem to go "unnoticed". :rolleyes:

There's a saying in India, "When a pickpocket walks down the street, all he sees are pockets."

I think we notice the missed Pats calls more because (1) we're looking for ref favoritism because we don't like the Pats, and (2) they stand out more when we notice the Pats don't have a lot of calls go against them.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

There's a saying in India, "When a pickpocket walks down the street, all he sees are pockets."

I think we notice the missed Pats calls more because (1) we're looking for ref favoritism because we don't like the Pats, and (2) they stand out more when we notice the Pats don't have a lot of calls go against them.

Eh, Idk about that. A lot of obvious holds, on offense and defense. PI's on offense and defense. It's not just Bills games either, it is against anyone. Also, if the game is on the line or a drive of significance at hand, you know beyond a shadow of a doubt the dominos are gonna fall their way. 

15 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

He's a great coach and does his homework. He also obsesses and cheats as we have seen. BB also isn't afraid to push the envelope and try plays, formations or gimmicks that border on illegal but the refs don't know what to call because they have never seen it before. But the one thing that makes BB better than almost any other coach  is that he is a smarter than average man in a sea of idiots at HC.  Time and again BB just waits for the other HC to lose his nerve and make that fatally dumb error and time and again they do just that. I don't think what BB does is something extraspecial, he just comes off that way because the others are so poor.

Brady & Belichick = Jimmie Johnson & Chad Knaus. Your not trying if you're not cheating and it's not cheating unless you get caught.

Edited by RaoulDuke79

1 hour ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

There's some argument there. I wonder if he studied the rule book as hard when he was the browns coach or if he started hitting the books after Tommy became QB.

I read somewhere he learned this when he was helping his dad coach at the Naval Academy.  Which makes sense because Intel and ROE (Rules of Engagement) are a HUGE part of Naval warfare, and it would not surprise me at all if USNA had its own Ernie Adams type from the Naval Intelligence community working with the team.

1 minute ago, JOE IN HAMPTON ROADS said:

I read somewhere he learned this when he was helping his dad coach at the Naval Academy.  Which makes sense because Intel and ROE (Rules of Engagement) are a HUGE part of Naval warfare, and it would not surprise me at all if USNA had its own Ernie Adams type from the Naval Intelligence community working with the team.

Well if he's learned how to play the system that well then hat's off to him. I may be a bit biased, but if different players on a different team did the same thing, I can't help but think the calls would be noticeably different. 

So according to the article, Bill Belichick just does a better job of understanding the rule book and studying the refs tendencies?

Yeah.  I'm calling BS.

If that was the case, then why have no other Patriots coaches (who witnessed this brilliance everyday) copied this "genius" idea?  Romeo Crennel?  Charlie Weis?  Eric Mangini?  Josh McDaniels?  How about some of the front office guys like Scott Pioli and Michael Lombardi?  None of the 100+ players who left New England retained what he taught them?  Why can't anyone else duplicate the "Patriot Way" unless they are actually IN BOSTON?

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

So according to the article, Bill Belichick just does a better job of understanding the rule book and studying the refs tendencies?

Yeah.  I'm calling BS.

If that was the case, then why have no other Patriots coaches (who witnessed this brilliance everyday) copied this "genius" idea?  Romeo Crennel?  Charlie Weis?  Eric Mangini?  Josh McDaniels?  How about some of the front office guys like Scott Pioli and Michael Lombardi?  None of the 100+ players who left New England retained what he taught them?  Why can't anyone else duplicate the "Patriot Way" unless they are actually IN BOSTON?

They don't have Tom Brady....

Edited by Iron Maiden