Andrew Luck to Bills speculation/chatter

YoloinOhio

While i cant see this going down, McDaniels and Irsay have the #3 pick. They have their choice of pretty much any QB in this draft since I dont see the Giants taking a QB at 2. 

For Luck we would have to give up our 2 first round picks and probably another 2nd round pick or so. That would give McDaniels a boatload of equity to start his career at Indy. 

I just dont see it though. 

Why not just keep our picks and throw money at Cousins. Thats what i would do. 

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

Just saw that.... that’s always the case, I guess. What seems absurd today will eventually be a deal. These guys now get generational wealth. I bet some people thought we gave Jack Kemp too many peanuts at some point. 

....ok Augie, give it your best shot......Luck seems to be an attractive deal, but do you realistically see this gang surrendering mega draft capital for one player with so many other holes to fill?...I'll hang up and wait for your response..................

11 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...agree.....and I think the ONLY way you could ever pull a deal off is if Irsay is HEAVILY sedated (......shouldn't be a problem then).....................

Reminds me of what my grandmother always told me: It takes 2 hundred mg of oxycodone to tango. 

3 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....ok Augie, give it your best shot......Luck seems to be an attractive deal, but do you realistically see this gang surrendering mega draft capital for one player with so many other holes to fill?...I'll hang up and wait for your response..................

Yes, if healthy I’d give up three first round picks for a 28 year old Franchise QB. Throw in a Crippled Cordy if you have to. Once you have the QB you have a chance. I know he has detractors, but he’s been surrounded mostly by hot garbage. 

I think they know that, and I think they’d do it. Or maybe I’m just hoping...

We can play the trade back game to get more picks to fill holes, then hope we have the scouts to kill it in a few consecutive drafts. Isn’t that supposedly why we stockpiled the picks? We got one #1 for free and still got Tre. Think of it as two #1’s for a franchise QB. Heck yes, I’d do it. How long have we been waiting? 

That “one player” is not a RT. 

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yes, if healthy I’d give up three first round picks for a 28 year old Franchise QB. Throw in a Crippled Cordy if you have to. Once you have the QB you have a chance. I know he has detractors, but he’s been surrounded mostly by hot garbage. 

I think they know that, and I think they’d do it. Or maybe I’m just hoping...

We can play the trade back game to get more picks to fill holes, then hope we have the scouts to kill it in a few consecutive drafts. Isn’t that supposedly why we stockpiled the picks? We got one #1 for free and still got Tre. Think of it as two #1’s for a franchise QB. Heck yes, I’d do it. How long have we been waiting? 

That “one player” is not a RT. 

....if this gang surrenders that draft capital, can we surround him with better "garbage" until subsequent draft(s) allow us to fill holes?......OR.......do we have enough cap cash to fill SOME holes to be competitive in 2018?.......interesting stretch coming up for Beane & Company........

1 minute ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....if this gang surrenders that draft capital, can we surround him with better "garbage" until subsequent draft(s) allow us to fill holes?......OR.......do we have enough cap cash to fill SOME holes to be competitive in 2018?.......interesting stretch coming up for Beane & Company........

No doubt about THAT! The QB is the hard part. I’d get that if I have a shot.  It might hurt in other areas, but that’s the price you pay unless you get very, very, very “Lucky”.  :)

2 minutes ago, kdiggz said:

this thread needs to be closed.  every time it pops back up to the top i think something has happened.  there is zero credibility to any of this.  i think unless there is a source it should be closed as fake news

1key4i.jpg

It doesn't need to be closed. The thread title tells you what it is and you should take for what it's worth as offseason hypothetical chatter. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Augie said:

No doubt about THAT! The QB is the hard part. I’d get that if I have a shot.  It might hurt in other areas, but that’s the price you pay unless you get very, very, very “Lucky”.  :)

...better get your popcorn ready.....and PLENTY of it..............:thumbsup:

Let me open by saying I am not opposed to acquiring a healthy Luck...but I am opposed to giving up the farm and over paying.

Im sorry, but I dont care what anyone says, Luck is over rated based on some of the statements around here.  I am not saying (and I dont think anyone else is either) that Luck is any way a bad QB, and everyone knows he would be a substantial upgrade to TT if...and that is a big IF...he is healthy and can stay healthy.  But at the same time, fantasy football combined with his college hype has grossly painted an over exaggerated picture of him.  

For instance, in 3 postseasons, he never once had more TD's than INT's and has a career 9 TD's to 12 Turnovers.  His personal performance in most categories including his QB rating is substantially lower in his career postseason compared to his career regular season.

Here are some of the reasons I do not want to over pay or mortgage the future to acquire him:

1. He has 118 combine Interceptions and Fumbles in just 82 career regular and postseason games.  He is not good a protecting the ball despite having solid to good stable of options to throw to most of his career.  He has had TY, decent other WR's and solid groups of TE's his career.
  2. In 2015, Hasselbeck was 5-3 with the same roster that Luck went 2-6 with.
  3. He hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 3 years.  
  4. He cant stay healthy and plays a style that makes him vulnerable to more frequent and bigger hits.
  5. His serious injury is to his throwing arm and might be something that lingers over his career.
  6. His contract is big (although not quite as bad after Carr, Stafford, etc).
  7. His best years came when his division was weak and piled on all regular season with a softer schedule, then went on to play substantially worse in those post seasons against better competition.  

AGAIN...he is by no means a bad QB and clearly an upgrade.  But his injuries are a big risk, even if cleared healthy.  His style of play is wreckless in both how he handles his body as well as he protects the ball which increases both injury and turnover risk.  His contract is large, so if you can't keep him on the field we are saddled with an anchor on moving this team forward.  

I think if we can get him for one of our firsts and say a player or #22 and another pick like our 3rd then I can live with that risk.  But I see people talking 3 first round picks and even more in some cases and there is just no way in hell his value is that high.  If we offered that to the Colts they would take it in a heartbeat.  

This is the deepest year I can remember in a long time at QB between FA and the Draft.  No team is going to give the Colts a bounty for a QB who has played one full season in 3 years and hasn't stepped on the field since 2016.  Especially one with turnover issues and a big contract.  The fan love affair due to his fantasy football stats clouts his real value.  

I say offer the Colts #22 and Glenn and see what happens.  Would NOT shock me at all to see the Colts trade Luck.  Everyone keeps saying McDaniels wouldn't take the job if they were going to move him, but I disagree.  I think McDaniels sees a bad roster with an injury prone QB with a bad throwing shoulder but has a chance to draft a top QB in this great QB draft while freeing up all that cap space in a Luck trade while also compiling more assets in that trade to build the roster.  

So I can see McDaniels being open to that.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Even ignoring your rather ironic choice of words, you need to be careful disparaging this particular poster. 

My grammatical error/typo aside, (yes I should have proofread) why should I be careful?

(Serious question by the way)

I stand by my statement regarding his stance on Andrew Luck.

34 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Let me open by saying I am not opposed to acquiring a healthy Luck...but I am opposed to giving up the farm and over paying.

Im sorry, but I dont care what anyone says, Luck is over rated based on some of the statements around here.  I am not saying (and I dont think anyone else is either) that Luck is any way a bad QB, and everyone knows he would be a substantial upgrade to TT if...and that is a big IF...he is healthy and can stay healthy.  But at the same time, fantasy football combined with his college hype has grossly painted an over exaggerated picture of him.  

For instance, in 3 postseasons, he never once had more TD's than INT's and has a career 9 TD's to 12 Turnovers.  His personal performance in most categories including his QB rating is substantially lower in his career postseason compared to his career regular season.

Here are some of the reasons I do not want to over pay or mortgage the future to acquire him:

1. He has 118 combine Interceptions and Fumbles in just 82 career regular and postseason games.  He is not good a protecting the ball despite having solid to good stable of options to throw to most of his career.  He has had TY, decent other WR's and solid groups of TE's his career.
  2. In 2015, Hasselbeck was 5-3 with the same roster that Luck went 2-6 with.
  3. He hasn't sniffed the playoffs in 3 years.  
  4. He cant stay healthy and plays a style that makes him vulnerable to more frequent and bigger hits.
  5. His serious injury is to his throwing arm and might be something that lingers over his career.
  6. His contract is big (although not quite as bad after Carr, Stafford, etc).
  7. His best years came when his division was weak and piled on all regular season with a softer schedule, then went on to play substantially worse in those post seasons against better competition.  

AGAIN...he is by no means a bad QB and clearly an upgrade.  But his injuries are a big risk, even if cleared healthy.  His style of play is wreckless in both how he handles his body as well as he protects the ball which increases both injury and turnover risk.  His contract is large, so if you can't keep him on the field we are saddled with an anchor on moving this team forward.  

I think if we can get him for one of our firsts and say a player or #22 and another pick like our 3rd then I can live with that risk.  But I see people talking 3 first round picks and even more in some cases and there is just no way in hell his value is that high.  If we offered that to the Colts they would take it in a heartbeat.  

This is the deepest year I can remember in a long time at QB between FA and the Draft.  No team is going to give the Colts a bounty for a QB who has played one full season in 3 years and hasn't stepped on the field since 2016.  Especially one with turnover issues and a big contract.  The fan love affair due to his fantasy football stats clouts his real value.  

I say offer the Colts #22 and Glenn and see what happens.  Would NOT shock me at all to see the Colts trade Luck.  Everyone keeps saying McDaniels wouldn't take the job if they were going to move him, but I disagree.  I think McDaniels sees a bad roster with an injury prone QB with a bad throwing shoulder but has a chance to draft a top QB in this great QB draft while freeing up all that cap space in a Luck trade while also compiling more assets in that trade to build the roster.  

So I can see McDaniels being open to that.  

....the Dawg has spoken with THE perfect analysis and assessment....nice job bro.......keeping in mind that I'm an old school crustacean, I don't see this gang as riverboat gamblers with draft capital or players coming off significant injuries/surgeries...they'll take their time building through the draft and developing their own.........

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I would trade this years 2 first round picks and next years first round pick for Luck. 

I don’t think it will happen. I wish it would because it would be the pathway for the Bills to be the Saints with Brees. 

...never.....strictly opinion but never..............

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 minutes ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

I would trade this years 2 first round picks and next years first round pick for Luck. 

I don’t think it will happen. I wish it would because it would be the pathway for the Bills to be the Saints with Brees. 

I look at the Chiefs pick almost as a freebie since we still got Tre, so I’d think of it like 2 firsts for a franchise QB....a steal. One that will never happen. I find ways to justify all kinds of things.  :)

1 hour ago, CritMark said:

Quite the contrary.  Having a good team with a good QB, being bad with AWFUL QB play, and returning to a good team does not mean the whole team was inherently bad.  What it means is the team has the capacity to be at least a respectable team with a good QB.

I have read on here more times than I can count how if we had QB XXX we would win x # games more.  That doesn't mean the whole team was bad.  

Let's look at past year.  The Bills win 9 games.  If a QB of the equivalent talent of Painter is at the helm we may win maybe 3 or 4 and I'm not sure I would bet on that.  Does that mean all the rest of the players on the team went to ****? 

The point I was making was Luck did not take over a terrible team.  He inherited a better than average team that went through a year with awful QB play. 

Oh boy, ok.