In-Depth Breakdown of Josh Allen by Eliot Crist, Greg Cosell, Joe B, and Other Analysts

Damn good breakdown.  If we take Allen, he will need to sit for at least a year and maybe two while a bridge guy like Bradford plays.  We also need a QB guru to rebuild his mechanics from scratch.  We do not have such a coach on staff atm.

• Like (+1) 1

Our last 1st Rd QB picked was a 6'5" 240lb guy who could move with a big arm.  The problem was his accuracy and ball placement.  This would be the same mistake.  A team can only draft this guy if they have a coach with a history of fixing the problems Allen has.  It is probably a multi year process.

• Like (+1) 4

Allen worries me way too much... Too much relyng on arm strength and size but way to raw and loose on the fundamentals that make great QB's great

With the speed/intelligence transisiton of the NFL game I just do not see him learning consistency and great mechanics quickly.

if he slides down into the 2nd or 3rd round I'd grab him and try to groom him but he is not a day 1 starter and may take more than a year to iron out those bad habits. Whomever drafts him has ot be super patient and have a vet who can hold the reigns for more than a single season

Edited by ddaryl
  • Like (+1) 2

From a raw talent standpoint Allen has it all which is why he will likely be drafted very high.

Personally I have a 2nd round grade on him but still think he's too much of a true 'boom/bust' guy that is going to need the perfect organization and support structure around him for any chance of him to not turning into another Losman or Manuel type of player.

• Like (+1) 1

“Isn’t a ready to go franchise changer like Cam Newton”.  Newton wasn’t either, when he came out.  But his needle points a little too close to Gabbert and Bortles, for me.  I don’t like the EJ comparison at all.  He would definitely need at least a year though in my opinion.

Edited by DFT

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

He  literally bit my opening line from my scouting report in the tweet!

" The most polarizing prospect in the draft!"

That's been the line in many places because of the tantalizing physical talent mixed with inconsistent tape and sloppy mechanics. 

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Regardless of how he turns out, 66 MPH is remarkable. It's basically Aroldis Chapman-level.

And I believe that was just on a regular pass; he wasn't even necessarily trying to throw it as hard as possible. I'm curious to see what his velocity is at the Combine just for the sheer absurdity of it.

Anyone who takes Allen in the 1st round is making a big mistake. 

He's got upside, but he's also got enormous downside. Guys like him rarely succeed at the NFL level. 

I don't think he's worth anything more than a 4th round pick. He's too raw and too much has to go right for him to become a top QB. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nah. Stay away.

21 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Anyone who takes Allen in the 1st round is making a big mistake. 

He's got upside, but he's also got enormous downside. Guys like him rarely succeed at the NFL level. 

I don't think he's worth anything more than a 4th round pick. He's too raw and too much has to go right for him to become a top QB. 

100%.

Teams get too enamoured with potential and physical traits. Allen likely needs to sit and learn for 2/3 years. You don’t draft that in round 1. 

In the event anyone has not seen this yet, check out this video of Allen missing the net completely from 10 yards away during a senior bowl drill.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/01/josh-allen-wyoming-senior-bowl-throw-video-miss-workout-accuracy-browns-nfl-draft

I know it could have been nerves but it is very funny.

That said, I would take him at 21 and let him sit for two years.  Top 5 or 10, not so much.

5 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

Josh Allen = Jake Locker. 

He reminds me more of Kaepernick, although I don't think Allen is as good a runner.  Big arm, can throw a rocket, zero touch and NOT a very catchable ball.